Would you re-write?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stan15

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1st mcat = 26 M

6 VR
9 PS
11 BS
M WS

2nd mcat = 31P

10 VR
10 PS
11 BS
P WS

I have a degree in microbiology with a gpa ~3.7
Worked in labs for about 4 summers which got my name on 3 papers and 4-5 abstracts

Volunteer work (coached rugby, hospital) and played varsity at an ontario university, provincial and club rugby

St.Johns 1st AID certified (don't even know if they give a **** about this)
Good letters of reference

Doy you guys think it would be worth re-writting the mcat to try and get it up another 2-3 points or apply with it. ( in canada by the way)

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the average matriculant MCAT score at the institution you wish to attend.

Personally, you have the score (31) that I wish for.

So, I say no. Nice score!!

I am a manitoban resident applying (primarily) to manitoba.
Looking at the statistics for manitoba last year, the 10-10.5 avg mcat mark, roughly half of the people got in.

I am hoping for a stellar interview and I have good LOR

1st mcat = 26 M

6 VR
9 PS
11 BS
M WS

2nd mcat = 31P

10 VR
10 PS
11 BS
P WS

Worked in labs for about 4 summers which got my name on 3 papers and 4-5 abstracts

Volunteer work (coached rugby, hospital) and played varsity at an ontario university, provincial and club rugby

Doy you guys think it would be worth re-writting the mcat to try and get it up another 2-3 points or apply with it. ( in canada by the way)
No. Your second score is nicely balanced and in the competitive range. I'd leave well enough alone.

Members don't see this ad :)
I never understood the part on the right (that looks like pac man) - what is that?

I never understood the part on the right (that looks like pac man) - what is that?
if you don't understand the avatar right away, you're not a true nerd!

Ok, that statement makes me just a little bit sad.

For no reason in particular, I would just like to say that Q's avatar is my absolute favorite on the entire network.

:cool:

-MSTPbound
you Admin brown noser :p

To the OP - If you think you are in trouble with your mcat score, then I would be in bigger trouble.

Unless you're planning on going to Harvard, your stats are perfect for Med School. If you don't get in, that's something you can re-vamp, if they say its a problem. 31 is the national average for a matriculating student, so I wouldn't worry about it.

1st mcat = 26 M

6 VR
9 PS
11 BS
M WS

2nd mcat = 31P

10 VR
10 PS
11 BS
P WS

nope, good score! :thumbup:

Thanks for the responses.

I was in no way dissapointed with my scores. I was very happy getting the 30+. More then shocked that my VR jumped 4 points. Pissed that my bio was 11 again, i was getting 13-14's on the CBT practice exams..ohh well

Its a little scary when people knock off 34's + 35's and are dissapointed. There is so much variability on the type of passages that you can get that your score could probably fluctuate by at least a few points b/w different mcats. Especially with the short computer based one, due to the fewer passages.

Also..... does any know what the average was for the jan 27/29th mcat?
Or is it always about an 8 per section.

Thanks for the responses.

I was in no way dissapointed with my scores. I was very happy getting the 30+. More then shocked that my VR jumped 4 points. Pissed that my bio was 11 again, i was getting 13-14's on the CBT practice exams..ohh well

As an admissions officer once told me, anticipate a 10% decrease in the actual MCAT score. I too, went down from my practice exams. You did great! Congrats on the improvement!

Members don't see this ad :)
That's the diene's head. If you imagine that the diene is the arms, body, and legs, you'll be able to see it. :)

MSTPbound said:
For no reason in particular, I would just like to say that Q's avatar is my absolute favorite on the entire network.
Flattery will get you everywhere. ;) Actually, I was talking to Lee about making it into a t shirt and selling it on SDN. It's not medical per se, but y'all are big enough chem nerds to appreciate it anyway. :D

Flattery will get you everywhere. ;) Actually, I was talking to Lee about making it into a t shirt and selling it on SDN. It's not medical per se, but y'all are big enough chem nerds to appreciate it anyway. :D

I would buy that t shirt for sure

Im retaking with a 10,10,12,R. Probably going to register for the June 15 exam or a july date within the next couple days. This score and a 3.8gpa didnt get me into med school this cycle so far (and probably wont as time is running out). I think Ill probably score 34-36 if I study right this time.

Retake if you think you can do better. Otherwise dont.

Im retaking with a 10,10,12,R. Probably going to register for the June 15 exam or a july date within the next couple days. This score and a 3.8gpa didnt get me into med school this cycle so far (and probably wont as time is running out). I think Ill probably score 34-36 if I study right this time.

Is this in the states or canada?

Seeing posts like this worry me. Above avg mcat and gpa and nothing...I'm curious as to what went wrong, where were you lacking?