Would you reapply or go to MSUCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pablo94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you got accepted to MSUCOM would you go there or reapply and try to attend an MD school. MSUCOM is a really nice school and going there would be awesome I am sure, I just don't want my options to be limited because I will be a DO.

Members don't see this ad.

If you got accepted to MSUCOM would you go there or reapply and try to attend an MD school. MSUCOM is a really nice school and going there would be awesome I am sure, I just don't want my options to be limited because I will be a DO.
What options will be limited?

It's my understanding that MSUCOM is one of the best DO schools out there! Some Michigan residents even argue that it is even better than some of the in state MD schools! It may actually hurt you in the long run to reapply, and then not be guaranteed an MD acceptance Or DO since you withdrew! Ultimately this decision is up to you, but MSUCOM will not limit your options, especially since Michigan does not have a DO bias!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you want to be a neurosurgeon dermatologist ENT rad oncologist or plastic surgeon? If so, then DO might be limiting.

If not, then you shouldn't really be limited, you just need to destroy your USMLEs and do well at the school. MSU is a reputable name, look at their match list to see which specialties people go into.

Another thing to consider, isn't MSUCOM almost 90k per year for tuition alone for OOS? Or am I mistaken

Do you want to be a neurosurgeon dermatologist ENT rad oncologist or plastic surgeon? If so, then DO might be limiting.

If not, then you shouldn't really be limited, you just need to destroy your USMLEs and do well at the school. MSU is a reputable name, look at their match list to see which specialties people go into.

Another thing to consider, isn't MSUCOM almost 90k per year for tuition alone for OOS? Or am I mistaken
It is that is another reason I still have a few MD interviews left/to hear back from. My main concern is money honestly, MD school OOS tuition is 50k

I am not sure what I want to be yet since I'm
Not an M1 yet! But I was thinking I might want to do anesthesiology, or ophthalmology because that sounds really cool. I saw a documentary where an ophthalmologist went to North Korea and cured blindness in 1000 people in ten days from simple cataract surgery

Why did you apply, interview, and accept if you aren't feeling 100% excited about it? I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just curious. But if you aren't 100% happy with your school then don't go there. I mean, re-applying is definitely a huge gamble, but if you're always going to regret not trying, then you should.

Why did you apply, interview, and accept if you aren't feeling 100% excited about it? I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just curious. But if you aren't 100% happy with your school then don't go there. I mean, re-applying is definitely a huge gamble, but if you're always going to regret not trying, then you should.
No I'm def excited! Probably the best DO School out there. In terms of campus life and academics, I don't think it can be beat and am super grateful to have been accepted. I just want to understand if being a DO would hinder me in the future, if I decide I like a certain specialty during rounds

No I'm def excited! Probably the best DO School out there. In terms of campus life and academics, I don't think it can be beat and am super grateful to have been accepted. I just want to understand if being a DO would hinder me in the future, if I decide I like a certain specialty during rounds

If you love the school and will truly be happy there, it isn't worth re-applying, in my opinion. You're sort of just torturing yourself. Also, you said your MD cycle isn't over yet! Just finish strong and if those interviews don't work out, I think it's a sign to go here.

I know some very successful DO GI docs/general surgeons/etc.. If you REALLY like a competitive specialty, you can work your butt off to make it happen. I mean, everyone works hard to get there, MDs don't really have it any easier. You have to prove yourself either way and ace your classes, ace the boards, network during local/away rotations to land your top choice for residency.

I feel like as time goes on, there will be less and less of a difference between MD and DO. I feel like over the last 10 years or so there's already been a significant change, and some patients prefer seeing DOs, you know.

Edit: Also, other than primary care, OMM would be a really good asset for a specialty like sports medicine or PMNR... Also, the GI DO I know says that OMM is useful even for his field and that he uses it every day. He's the head of his whole department now

I was in the same boat and I realized going to an excellent DO school trumps going to a mediocre/low tier MD school. I'd rather get the best education I can possibly get to be the best doctor I can be than focus on the initials. Plus, going to MSUCOM would not hinder me in any way to reach the goals I have set for myself, as I am not planning to be in any of the competitive specialties.

I was in the same boat and I realized going to an excellent DO school trumps going to a mediocre/low tier MD school. I'd rather get the best education I can possibly get to be the best doctor I can be than focus on the initials. Plus, going to MSUCOM would not hinder me in any way to reach the goals I have set for myself, as I am not planning to be in any of the competitive specialties.

How'd you realize that? It's most likely not correct. Unless you are out of the US.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I mean if the MD school is out of the US.

I know an MD would open up more doors to me, none of which I'm aiming to go through. So should I wait another year to reapply to MD schools just because everyone tells me I should, or should I go to the DO school I know would provide me with everything I need to succeed?

I know an MD would open up more doors to me, none of which I'm aiming to go through. So should I wait another year to reapply to MD schools just because everyone tells me I should, or should I go to the DO school I know would provide me with everything I need to succeed?

Depends heavily on your stats. Most likely I would say (and a huge consenus here) will say no. What's the school and tuition? This will be even complicated considering you are an international applicant.

What I interpreted your post was that you are actively accepted to an MD and DO school and you are choosing the DO school.

Not worth the risk in my opinion. The only guarantees in this process are the admissions offers you already have. It would be a huge gamble to throw away an acceptance to one of the best DO schools in the country because you'd be a re-applicant next year and you'd have to explain why you declined an acceptance. Plus, you might not receive another interview invite or acceptance.

Reactions: 1 users
90k per year for tuition for OOS not worth it. A DO degree is a DO degree

90k per year for tuition for OOS not worth it. A DO degree is a DO degree
What are you getting at? In one hand you call it expensive. On the other you say a DO degree is DO degree. The guy has no other acceptances right now.

I got my tuition lowered somehow and my entire cost of attendance including housing, tuition, etc for MSUCOM is $67,000. Still expensive, but not 80,000. I don't know why, but I called and my tuition was lowered with my financial aid package. Seems pretty chill lol

Reactions: 1 user
I got my tuition lowered somehow and my entire cost of attendance including housing, tuition, etc for MSUCOM is $67,000. Still expensive, but not 80,000. I don't know why, but I called and my tuition was lowered with my financial aid package. Seems pretty chill lol

That's reasonable. Especially since you are taking out full living expenses.

I was hoping to get in touch with a medical school student who went to MSUCOM to ask how they decided that MSUCOM was the right fit for them and how I can identify my connection to the school. It would help with answering one of the secondary essay questions I received. Do you have any ideas? Sorry I am replying to an old post.