Would you restart undergrad if you could? Reasons why and reasons why not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dreamstoo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a little bored and realizing I would if I could.

Members don't see this ad.

For academic reasons, no way I would repeat undergraduate. I studied hard and got good GPA and did everything academically.

For social reasons, I would. I feel like I didn't go out enough nor had enough fun being young.

Members don't see this ad :)
Time to continue to miss out on your 20s...

I would start over in a heartbeat. I was a complete asshat at 18, I drank constantly and spent way too much time at basement shows and chasing silly girls and my transcript reflects that. I will never be able to attend my states MD school which would have saved me a fortune. But hey, atleast with DO you can restart if you have the willpower too.

I try not to live with too many regrets. Just push forward.

I would start over in a heartbeat. I was a complete asshat at 18, I drank constantly and spent way too much time at basement shows and chasing silly girls and my transcript reflects that. I will never be able to attend my states MD school which would have saved me a fortune. But hey, atleast with DO you can restart if you have the willpower too.

I try not to live with too many regrets. Just push forward.

Something I hope I can embrace. I do admit I enjoyed the social scene a little too much as a freshman. The bizarre part of that is the one term I went out every weekend, I had a 3.6cgpa/3.6sgpa for a very difficult course load. It was also one of the only few terms I was able to consistently knock out all my work by Friday afternoon so I could have most of the weekends to myself. I still remember getting back my grades that term and was surprised how well I did in classes that were notorious for weeding out pre meds and engineers.

For me, I wish I wasn't so complacent with getting Bs in the past especially in some freshman science courses.

For academic reasons, no way I would repeat undergraduate. I studied hard and got good GPA and did everything academically.

For social reasons, I would. I feel like I didn't go out enough nor had enough fun being young.
Opposite here.

But then again, with the way my story played out I never would've entered medicine had I hit the ground running . I'm not even sure I'd redo my post-bac... maybe a few nights.

Definitely, I suffered from Anthropophobia while in my freshman year. Grades suffered, relationships not continued through text conversations were left to die, neuroticism, et cetera.

It's better now but, I'm still taking a lot of my classes either blended or one day a week style.

A better question is how I would redo undergrad while not being premed. That's more an interesting situation to be completely honest.

Personally my biggest thing is that I was so caught up in playing the game that I had no ability to be interested in other things that may have been challenging. I

And honestly generally while college was amazing I could have honestly learned more and I could have done more.

So in short no, I would never do college over again as a premed because I probably in the end did everything correctly and as best as I could to make myself competitive.
But if I could go back and go to college solely for the experience of enriching myself and exploring areas that I was weak in. Then sure.

A better question is how I would redo undergrad while not being premed. That's more an interesting situation to be completely honest.

Personally my biggest thing is that I was so caught up in playing the game that I had no ability to be interested in other things that may have been challenging. I

And honestly generally while college was amazing I could have honestly learned more and I could have done more.

So in short no, I would never do college over again as a premed because I probably in the end did everything correctly and as best as I could to make myself competitive.
But if I could go back and go to college solely for the experience of enriching myself and exploring areas that I was weak in. Then sure.

That was like me, I really enjoyed mathematics but struggled in it. I was heavily considering pursuing a double major in a physical science along with Biomedical Engineering but I knew my GPA probably would barely fluctuate around a 3.0 which I knew would be risky if I was considering pre med.

That was like me, I really enjoyed mathematics but struggled in it. I was heavily considering pursuing a double major in a physical science along with Biomedical Engineering but I knew my GPA probably would barely fluctuate around a 3.0 which I knew would be risky if I was considering pre med.

Admittedly I wish I had taken calc and programming. Been more involved in mathematical biology and worked more in labs.
Admittedly while right now I think I don't like the idea of research career I could have gone either way by sophomore had the right circumstances arisen.

Admittedly I wish I had taken calc and programming. Been more involved in mathematical biology and worked more in labs.
Admittedly while right now I think I don't like the idea of research career I could have gone either way by sophomore had the right circumstances arisen.

For me, I was contemplating doing biomedical engineering with a focus on human performance biomechanics out of high school. I got into a then top 10 biomedical program but the school was far too expensive.

For me, I was contemplating doing biomedical engineering with a focus on human performance biomechanics out of high school. I got into a then top 10 biomedical program but the school was far too expensive.

I was honestly contemplating everything. I was consider behavioral neuroscience while also considering clinical psychology. I became interested in the application of biological paradigms like evolution and animal behavior to clinical human examples. But it becomes too hard to do so I decided that doing medical school and doing psychiatry would be much better a match.
But who knows, maybe I could have reconciled it but at the same time I'll be happy to never need to write 10 pages of methods.

Members don't see this ad :)
I might re-do it (was non-pre med at the time). Since I can't, I rationalize and believe that I couldn't have come to the decision to pursue medicine any other way. I had to get everything else out of the way first. It is a process and a journey and although there have been rough patches, I've overall enjoyed it a lot. Had some truly fantastic and fun experiences in the past (extensive travel comes to mind). If I was as serious then as I am now about my future career, things would have gone down differently. I was almost like a different person back then. But I would have picked a better major that I would have enjoyed more (like psychology) and gotten better grades.

I would not redo undergrad. I think I did everything I needed to do to get me here today and my professors were very helpful throughout the process, which lead me too become premed.

Reactions: 1 user
Hell yeah I would, and I would get a better GPA! And I would start my ECS sooner.

I used to have a lot of trouble falling asleep as a freshman even when I may have just one lecture for an hour the next day. I think a lot of it had to do with nerves and excitement. I made the huge mistake in my first few terms of cramming for exams and staying up very late on normal days that I just had labs and lectures. Compared to now as a junior though, I had plenty of more time as a freshman. Freshman year I also made the bad habit of rushing my assignments so I can go hang out with friends at night. The floor I lived on usually hung out and ate dinner, played video games, played pranks on each other from like 8-11 PM everyday. After everyone went to bed, I used to make a bad habit of playing xbox live (NBA 2k or Call of Duty). Then realize it's 4:30am. Go to sleep and wake up by 8:30 for my 9 am classes. I do remember coming back after my last final and staying up all night talking to my roommate. I slept for about 14 hours that first night back from my freshman year. I've started savoring my weekends because I usually get only 5 hours a night during the school week (can be less depending on midterms and papers). I sleep around 2 am on weekend nights and wake up around 10-10:30am.

Hard to say tbh. I think my college experience was a very enrich
I used to have a lot of trouble falling asleep as a freshman even when I may have just one lecture for an hour the next day. I think a lot of it had to do with nerves and excitement. I made the huge mistake in my first few terms of cramming for exams and staying up very late on normal days that I just had labs and lectures. Compared to now as a junior though, I had plenty of more time as a freshman. Freshman year I also made the bad habit of rushing my assignments so I can go hang out with friends at night. The floor I lived on usually hung out and ate dinner, played video games, played pranks on each other from like 8-11 PM everyday. After everyone went to bed, I used to make a bad habit of playing xbox live (NBA 2k or Call of Duty). Then realize it's 4:30am. Go to sleep and wake up by 8:30 for my 9 am classes. I do remember coming back after my last final and staying up all night talking to my roommate. I slept for about 14 hours that first night back from my freshman year. I've started savoring my weekends because I usually get only 5 hours a night during the school week (can be less depending on midterms and papers). I sleep around 2 am on weekend nights and wake up around 10-10:30am.

Your freshman year was my senior year. Staying up til 4 watching anime is kinda a sweet deal yo.

Hard to say tbh. I think my college experience was a very enrich

Your freshman year was my senior year. Staying up til 4 watching anime is kinda a sweet deal yo.

My neighbor freshman year used to watch anime very loud. I would have an exam at 8am and I would have to bang on his door at 4am to tell him to be quiet. He was a comp sci major I think. Used to do this every night and skipped class almost everyday. He ended up dropping out by the end of the year.

My neighbor freshman year used to watch anime very loud. I would have an exam at 8am and I would have to bang on his door at 4am to tell him to be quiet. He was a comp sci major I think. Used to do this every night and skipped class almost everyday. He ended up dropping out by the end of the year.

Adventure > career

I think the only reason it is tempting for me is because as a non-trad I could do everything in one run. Otherwise, no. It is tempting to say I could fix all my problems, but the truth is I could end up causing others. I'm in a good place in life right now. I'm happy. It's all that counts. No going back for me.

Last edited:
Very little responsibility, summers off, friends, and parties? Yeah, I would sign up for that again.

Adventure > career

I still my freshman roommate was an athlete. He just worked out and slept, never went to class unless it was a lab. But when it came to midterms, he would be studying all night (which I only did for like two finals only for all of freshman year). He ended up killing it despite never going to class. I was always jealous of that lol

If I had the chance to re do my undergrad, I would have done a ton of things differently. For one, I would have gone away to college instead of staying at home. Very little debt is nice, but I want to live on my own, have that "college experience", and travel abroad. Now, I go to school and just come back to my parents house.

I would have also told myself not to date my ex :rofl:

I also would have taken my studies far more seriously. I screw myself over and now my science GPA is complete stink. I honestly don't know what I would have done without the knowledge of DO schools and the retake policy.....prolly go into podiatry. God bless osteopathy.

I would have also told myself that heartbreaks are not the end of the world and also to not eating your feelings after a breakup, post breakup weight is a chore to get rid of.

I also wish I would have been calmer and more mature as a 19 year old. Age has mellowed me out over the last three years, and I look back at the interactions that I had when I was 19 and 20 and just shake my head. I guess thats what it is meant by "growing up".

I feel like I wasted my youth years, and now I am super sad.

If I had the chance to re do my undergrad, I would have done a ton of things differently. For one, I would have gone away to college instead of staying at home. Very little debt is nice, but I want to live on my own, have that "college experience", and travel abroad. Now, I go to school and just come back to my parents house.

I would have also told myself not to date my ex :rofl:

I also would have taken my studies far more seriously. I screw myself over and now my science GPA is complete stink. I honestly don't know what I would have done without the knowledge of DO schools and the retake policy.....prolly go into podiatry. God bless osteopathy.

I would have also told myself that heartbreaks are not the end of the world and also to not eating your feelings after a breakup, post breakup weight is a chore to get rid of.

I also wish I would have been calmer and more mature as a 19 year old. Age has mellowed me out over the last three years, and I look back at the interactions that I had when I was 19 and 20 and just shake my head. I guess thats what it is meant by "growing up".

I feel like I wasted my youth years, and now I am super sad.

I actually moved to a college far from my home mostly cause I Wanted to become more independent and have the "college experience." I do get home sick and usually go home maybe every other 5th weekend of the term. During freshman year, for the 4 weeks in a month, 3 of them I went back home. This was a huge regret, I used to make the mistake of saving all my work on the weekends and I was never productive on campus during weekends (the guys on my floor were silly on the weekends :p. I did stay one long weekend and it was just three of us, we ended up just doing homework in the lounge until 7 pm and play around with netflix and just talk). I still keep in touch with high school friends who went to schools near by. They are still pretty immature and haven't changed a bit since high school. I've also met my best friend in college, if I went to school near my home, I probably would have hung out with the same kids I hung out with in high school.

I wouldn't redo it. I'm anxious enough to graduate. This is my last semester...Senioritis has really settled in. :p

In a heartbeat. I slacked off a lot in college. Despite having my last 65/68 hours be A in my undergrad, my sGPA is 3.4 and cGPA is 3.5 w/o grade replacement.

My only regret is not knowing I wanted to do medicine earlier. I'm happy with the school I'm going to and likely wouldn't have had much trouble going to a lowish tier MD program if I wasn't applying alongside my SO. I'm perfectly happy and proud to be a future DO*

*opinion subject to change once residency becomes a reality.

Absolutely. Most definitely. I would have focused more on school, than "learning how not to be sheltered". I was an undergrad nursing major, and the required grade was a "C" in our sciences. So I got those, and maintained a "social life".. and now I'm paying for it. I had to retake those anyways to be "competitive" for nursing school applications. I would have never taken any of those "intro" classes, now knowing that I could have went to a different university and wouldn't have had to take them. I would have pledged a sorority but that may have not ended well. That's completely off topic, but I would have.

Never. Undergrad was just a means to an end. A series of hoops to get me into med school.

Reactions: 1 users
I wouldn't want to go back and change anything because I have absolutely zero regrets in my life since every choice I have made has helped me become who I am and created the life I have now.

I generally find counter-factual thinking to be a waste of time and far too many people spend far too much time wondering "what if".

Reactions: 1 user
yes i enjoyed my organization life during undergrad. i really want to go back and have that time again :). also, i will accelerate my subpar grade ;)

Well technically I did since I dropped out of college twice before accruing 0 credits hrs (the 2 classes I did take I bombed). But even still I would do it over and get better grades and be more social.