Would you retake a 32?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

otterpop

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have a 3.9 GPA (overall and science are both about the same, a little bit above 3.9) and a 32 on the MCAT (10PS, 9VR, 13BS, N writing). I didn't take a prep course but I did the Examkracers self-study very thoroughly. For what it's worth, I'm half black, please don't get on my case. I have average ECs, nothing special. I'm going to take a year off. I really want to get into a top 15. Should I retake?

Thank you! :)

By all mean, take it if you think 32 is not enough for you and think you can score a 37 or higher. It can be done and people have done it before. With a second score of MCAT it will show your consistency and your area of strength.

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends. How thoroughly is "thoroughly"? If you can ramp up the studying and you consistently scored 35+ in the AAMC's practice exams, then I would definitely retake. However, if 32 was within your practice score range, then I wouldn't.

(1) Beware of regression towards the mean - it is more likely that your scores will go down in the sections in which you scored above average.

(2) Don't base your decision to retake on practice exams - there is a categorical difference in taking a relatively scaled exam when you are competing against databases/historical populations (practice tests) versus real people (actual tests); doing well against an historical population does not necessarily mean that you will get similar scores against contemporaneous test takers.

Now, please don't take any offense as to what I am saying, but I am naturally a sarcastic, cynical person (who wants to do medicine, yes).

To me, a 32 is a respectable scores. I myself got a 31S on this past august 20 retake (whereas my practice AAMCs were putting me at 34-37) but I'm glad I broke a 30.

I would say retake only if you took this MCAT under the following conditions:

1. Drunk.
2. Hungover.
3. Stoned.
4. with your toes instead of your fingers.
5. blindfolded and held at gunpoint.
6. Any combination thereof of the above.

Just my two, cynical, jaded yet hopefully comical cents.

I wouldn't. A 32 is nothing to sneeze at and your subscores are balanced. My first MCAT was a 32 also, and if I had the same subscores you did, I would not have taken it again. Unfortunately, I had a pretty embarassing VR score, so I felt the risk was worth it. And just so you know, while the VR score increased 3 points on the retake, my overall score only increased by 1. It's ultimately your call, but it is risky.

As stated previously, you'll run the risk of scoring lower on those sections in which your originally scored above average. Check out the data for people who retake the test:

http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/examineedata/tables.htm

A 32 is still very good, and you have an excellent GPA. I think retaking the MCAT would pose to much of a risk, for a comparatively weak reward. If you are going to take a year off, and you say you have average EC's, why not work on those? How is your clinical experience?

There's a lot of factors. Most people are going to encourage you not to retake, and it's probably good advice. I would only advise retaking if you have concrete evidence that you would do better (much higher practice test average with n > 10 tests), issues during the test day, or a test that seems vastly disproportionate from the average MCAT. I personally decided after taking my exam that I would retake with a score < 35 but there were a number of factors involved in that decision including practice test scores that were consistently 40+ and an extremely strong and broad knowledge base, but I was certainly glad it wasn't necessary to retake.

just to provide some balance in this thread

Scored 33, retook after not studying and forgetting a whole lot of the material 1.5 months later. Retake=36

Against what other people have said, my advice is to have faith in your practice test scores. If you think you can do better, you probably can.