Would you UW?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Activist MD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey people,

I know this is a common question for many would be 1st years, but I was hoping someone could shed some light on whether I made the right decision?

I had to pick between Tufts, UMass and University of Washington.

I ended up picking UW, which is all the way in Seattle, opposite side of the continent for me! Are there any UW'ers out there or any one else that can give me their point of view?

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Getting into the UW is difficult; getting in from out of state is even tougher, congratulations. I am from Seattle, but received the thin envelope.
UW is a great school, and in your situation I would have done the same. Here's my random mix of advice, and thoughts about Seattle. Congrats, again!
It's is a great place to live - if you're an outdoor type, there are biking/running trails all around the campus. The med school itself is right on the water, (check out South Campus Center to study, it is fabulous, generally quiet - and what a view!) However, that rain thing is true. It doesn't just rain here, it constantly drizzles from Sept-April, and actually it's raining right now.
wink.gif
You'll get used to it. The summers are beautiful.
(I'm headed to Tulane this summer and trading a Seattle summer for a Louisiana summer, now that's a shame.)
There are tons of students around, dentistry, nursing, graduates, law, undergrad. It's a huge campus, even a huge health sciences center. I found meeting people actually takes more effort at UW, because the place is enormous. But huge = opportunities, and resources. Once you learn your way around the maze, of course. Their NIH funding is unbelievable!
Undergrad classes fostered competition. I can't speak for the grads/prof students, but don't be surprised if a few gunners pop up. Let's see, what else? Parking is a nightmare and expensive - just buy the parking pass and life will be much easier. Traffic is getting worse by the year, so living close to campus might be wise.
And in third year, if you're on the Orthopaedics floor at Harborview, be especially kind to the nursing staff! (I worked there throughout college
wink.gif

Hope this made sense, I am typing and thinking at the same time. Feel free to email me, if you've got any questions. I am driving to New Orleans this weekend, and will be missing Seattle!

Bren

[This message has been edited by Bren (edited 05-26-2000).]

Are you a residint of Massachusetts? If you are and passed up UMASS,that's one expensive decision. Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Bren,

Thanks! I think UW was a pure stroke of luck for me. I hear Tulane is great as well. I have a friend who is doing her MPH down there. They have a great international health program right? When I went to visit her, I was able to see the medical school. It's right smack in the middle of down town. You've probably been down there to interview and stuff, but man, I loved the French Quarter, and the beignets 24 hours a day!
If you are willing to splurge: check out Commanders Palace.. rated the best restaurant in the country..um.

Rangers,

I am. But at UW you pay in state rate after the first year. So it was a really hard choice. I wanted to stay in the state. Are you at UMASS? I didn't know UMass's reputation on the national front.

That's a great deal about paying in-state rates after the first year! Like many state schools, both focus on primary care and certinly Washington is well regarded for its primary care. Do you plan on coming back to the East Coast for your residency? Where do most of UW students match?

Rangers,

I think I would come back... I'm not sure how the residency matching will work. People have told me both things: Better chances if you are from the area... better chances if you are coming from a good program.

In the end, I guess it depends on where you stand in the class. Any advice?

I'm about to graduate from UMass, and it was great. Not to mention the price break! Hard to beat $3000/year.

FYI everyone: you HAVE to have Mass residence to even apply to UMass (ie, there's no out-of-state tuition).