Other OT-Related Information Wound care OT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Healthinfo104

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What exactly do wound care occupational therapists do?

How about cardiopulmonary OT's?
I read they help suction secretions out of lungs is this true?

Also, do OT's take vitals in any setting?

Members don't see this ad.

Im not exactly sure, however... I shadowed at a facility that emphasized in lymphedema and during the sessions the OT would take the time to discuss preventative care for wounds and proper ways to care/clean wounds and such. I'm sure wound care OTs do much more than just educating though!

As far as vitals, most of the places I've observed the OTs have taken vitals, primarily blood pressure and pulse ox.

:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Some of the CHT's I interned with were responsible for postop dressing change...removal of stitches and drainage tubes...

Reactions: 1 user
Would care is consider more specialize acute. OT can work in this area but generally is more learn on site and taking continue education courses. It's definitely a less common place to work for. Majority would be medical management and upper hand function maintenance in preparation for ADLs.

I did a FW in inpatient rehab and wound care OTs would go around the building, checking patients who had wounds or were at risk for developing them, teaching weight shifts, positioning, re-dressing wounds, monitoring the status if they were getting worse or better. This was done inter professionally with nurses and only took about an hour of the day. The OTs would then go back to treating clients as normally after. So I think wound care might be a speciality where you can educate patients on positioning and weight shifts, but I don't think you would ever do wound care as your only responsibility.