1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

WoW Check it out!!!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by HoosierDO, Oct 28, 2002.

1. HoosierDO

HoosierDO Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

hi guys...just wanted to run something by everyone!!! i am discovering that there is a major difference between the MD students and the DO students...the DO students seem stressed, but veyr happy to be where they are...almost fortunate ( which i think is great) but he MD students are so damn bitter and upset, and almost wondering what ever made them go to medical school in the first place...to me this this kinda scary!!! If anyone gets a chance...i would love to hear other opinions on this phenomena!!!! Check out the thread "second thoughts about medical school" on the allopathic board...its absolutely scary to me!!!! Makes me wonder if these are the people that DO schools try to weed out...in other words...in order to get in to a DO school it seems that they are very interested in ones reasoning!!! While numbers are important too, they are more interested in your motivation, and determination...any input?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. HoosierDO

HoosierDO Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

YIKES...med school strikes again...another post about "worst day of my life"

4. H0mersimps0n

H0mersimps0n HMO CRUSHER
    10+ Year Member

personally I've always thought the biggest problem with allopathic schools is that they tend to accept high #'s with little/insignificant clinical experience, whereas most of the DO schools trade lots of clinical experience for lagging numbers. The result: DO students who knew what they had coming because they're thoroughly been there done that and can stay motivated, and MD students who (not in all cases) tend to handle the material with little understanding/motivation to the ends...

gross generalization with a personal bitterness added in ther but I think its fairly accurate, I have a buddy at NYU that maybe saw (cared for) a half-dozen patients in his college career as an EMT if that. Good numbers though...

5. H0mersimps0n

H0mersimps0n HMO CRUSHER
    10+ Year Member

sorry dupe post...

6. HoosierDO

HoosierDO Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Homer...we are on the same page...that is what i have found...and that is why i only applied to DO schools...i started a grad program in the MD program here...and it was miserable...cant imagine spending 4 years like that...the atmosphere at DO schools is sooooooooo different! Glad to hear that Im not way off!!!

7. rotatores

rotatores Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    HoosierDO you make me sick. You're getting cheap thrills out of other students (MD students) struggling with school. You obviously are still bitter about getting rejected from any half decent school.

What these students need now is support?not some jackass telling them they should have done the DO route instead.

Maybe there is a reason why DO students are happier. Chances are it?s because it?s a lot easier to succeed in a DO school with less competition.

8. ussdfiant

Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Uhhh, I'm an MD student and I feel fine. I am stressed and am happy to be where I am.

9. pathdr2b

pathdr2b Membership Revoked
    Removed

ONLY a pre-MD student would go off like this!:laugh: :laugh:

I'm feeling you with the differences between the two types of students although I think the fact that DO students tend to be older/more mature may be the true reason they tend to take it in stride. Just my opinion...............

10. HoosierDO

HoosierDO Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

hahah i find this hysterical...i first of all was not making a mockery of the suffering md students one bit...i feel sorry for them...i truly do...and by the way...I WAS NEVER REJECTED FROM A SCHOOL!!!

11. HoosierDO

HoosierDO Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

sorry got cut short...but i was saying i have never been rejected by a school...good assumption though!!! I do truly feel sorry for the students...i think it sad...and i would hate to be in that position...i was merely pointing out an obvious trend so far!!! In addition Rota...you saying the DO schools are not half decent...might want to check out some stats first!!! Also...i was never saying they should have gone the DO route...merely making a suggestion to those applying...instead of taking the post and being afraid of med in general...open their eyes to see there are other routes in med!!! not eveyrone has an opportunity to explore the DO route...im assuming you didnt since you feel you are in a "decent" med school

12. rotatores

rotatores Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    ACTUALLY if you saw my profile you would come to the conclusion that I AM a med student.

Ever notice that you never see any thread from MD students such as MD vs. DO.

Wonder why? Maybe it's because we don't have to constantly defend ourselves.

13. HoosierDO

HoosierDO Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Path...thanks for the opinion...i think that migth very well be true!!! Good insight!!!

14. San_Juan_Sun

San_Juan_Sun Professor of Life
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I really doubt that any generalizations about MD or DO students should be made from posts on an anonymous message board. The sample size is way too small.

In deference to MD students, I know how much DOs hate the DO vs. MD debate. I'm fairly certain that MDs similarly hate DO students making assumptions about MDs being sheltered cutthroats with good numbers.

One quick thought about that thread being posted. many people talk about how different the realities of residency are from when they started med school. That may well be true, but I think they are forgetting that the actual practice of medicine post-residency is quite different from practicing as a resident.

15. rotatores

rotatores Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I actually have worked with DO's and have a very close friend who is a DO. I did apply to a DO school but turned down the interview (financial reasons at the time). I respect the field and have for years defended it.

16. San_Juan_Sun

San_Juan_Sun Professor of Life
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Actually, I see that topic posted by allopathic students all the time. And assuming that the average allopath has nothing they need to defend (or at least constantly re-examine) about their practice is kind of dangerous. Isn't medicine built upon the defense and re-examination of treatment?

17. HoosierDO

HoosierDO Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

well guys...i guess i should have assumed that this thread would get outta control...it was not meant to rub anything in, rub anyones noses the wrong way or dog anyones dreams...i was merely looking for other peoples opinions on the situation. I for one have been in both environments and seen the difference first hand...everyone must take the path that is right for them...i was just wondering if anyone else had encountered the same situation!!! For all of you with your panties in a ruffle...this is a discussion board and there is no need to get all bent out of shape!!! Its a place to post questions and get helpful insight...not to read the crap that you had to say rota...sorta outta context, and off the subject...thanks anyway!!

18. H0mersimps0n

H0mersimps0n HMO CRUSHER
    10+ Year Member

*quietly steps back and is glad his comments were ignored*

smashie smashie

+pissed+

19. HoosierDO

HoosierDO Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

haha homer you crack me up...nah rota can say what he wants...he proceeded to tell the allopaths that im upset i had to settle for DO...haha !!! guess that is what makes the world go round...:laugh:

20. pathdr2b

Removed

Rotatores: You're an MD student? Then I definitely expected some other than the "you make me sick" intro.

Also and I'm not "hatin" but you're at UHSUS right? There are about 3 third tier DO schools ranked higher than UHSUS as it is in the 50th tier!:laugh:

Honestly, I spend some of my premed day thinking about this issue. I've got people here at NIH telling me "you must go to an MD program" but having had a DO as a pediatrician and recognizing that DO students seem less stressed , I think I'd be happier in DO school. Yet, I go back and forth on this one since even my MD friends have said that they think DO's are quacks.
    Especially funny to me since I have better MCATs than they had!!

For me, DO would clearly be a CHOICE not a last resort although I suspect this is the case for most DO students.

21. H0mersimps0n

H0mersimps0n HMO CRUSHER
    10+ Year Member

can't we all just get along?

We're fighting the wrong battle...

what ever happened to the greater good?

bigger fish to fry = HMOs/overindulged media exposure

hey, actually this is kinda fun, its been a stressful day:
    +pissed+

22. rotatores

rotatores Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    pathdr2b

For some reason I think we've bumped heads before.

Please by all means show me some data.

23. pathdr2b

Removed

USNEWS and World reports year 1999, and 2000 rankings.

The "bumping heads" is all in fun as far as I'm concerned. I think these debates are helpful for people like me trying to make the best decisions for themselves and their families. Quite frankly I don't give a dam* about rankings because I plan to kick major as* wherever I end up!

And if I weren't too "old" with asthma, I'd be applying to USHUS too!;)

24. maysqrd

maysqrd Go A's!
    7+ Year Member

This is only part of the speech given by the President of the AAMC during the 112th National Conference last year.

"If we wish to deepen rather than drain that reservoir of nascent virtue, we are going to have to do more to reconcile the values we actually teach our students and residents with the values we profess to teach them -- what my old Stony Brook colleagues Coulehan and Williams have called the tacit versus the explicit values of medicine. I urge you all to read their provocative article in last June's Academic Medicine entitled "Vanquishing Virtue: The Impact of Medical Education." It is but the latest in a long string of passionate pleas for us to address the gap -- arguably the growing gap -- between what kind of doctors we say we want our students to become, and what kind of doctors we actually teach them how to be. In our various courses and pronouncements on rounds, for example, we talk about the importance of caring, compassion, empathy, respect, and fidelity, and about what it means to be a good physician -- about the need to be trustworthy, honest, and committed primarily to patients' welfare. That's the visible, explicit curriculum.

"In the hidden, implicit curriculum that students actually experience in their day-to-day interactions, they typically encounter different values. Our learning environments tend to revere, in Coulehan and Williams' words, "objectivity, detachment, wariness, and distrust of emotions." And because those implicit lessons are endlessly repeated, and are imbedded in actions rather than just in words, they are much, much more powerful and enduring. The result is that technical skills come to be valued more highly than interactive skills. More important, our idealistic students who hear us say one thing and see us do another are often quick to sour on virtue, many opting instead for cynicism.

I suggest that all of you read the speech in its entirety and you will see the relevent point that Hoosier was trying to make in starting this thread.

http://www.aamc.org/newsroom/pressrel/2001/011104a.htm

If the president of the AAMC can acknowledge the cynicism that is being fostered to allopathic students, then I don't think that Hoosier was off base by bringing up the issue that many allopathic students are unhappy with medicine. He was just making an observation that was already brought up to the entire AAMC.

This is not to say that every DO student is extremely happy with their careers either but it is interesting that Dr. Cohen felt the need to address it in his speech to the conference. It kind of validates that this is a real problem and not just an argument among pre-meds or med students.

25. Fenrezz

Fenrezz AT Stills Worst Nightmare
    7+ Year Member

Any person who actually responded to this opening thread should be ashamed of themselves. I know I am.

This is ridiculous. If it's a joke, it's not a funny one. If it's not a joke, then it should be.

I'm actually embarrassed to be a DO student right now because of the post opening this thread.

The only thing this post does is give every DO-hating pre-MD student justification for their opinions. The fact that anyone would read this thread and think more than a 3 people believe this garbage scares me, because I get thrown in with them.

If you're so desperate to start flame wars, go do it somewhere else. It's counterproductive here.

How's that for input?

26. djjj08

djjj08 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

well said Fenrezz.....some peeps don't realize we are on the SAME side of the fence.....

DOL's will suk rest of the year!:laugh: