Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Wow, I had no idea which professor you have makes ALL the difference

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Chris127, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Chris127

Chris127 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Seriously, I am so mad right now. Why? My Chem professor SUCKS, and as a result, I may finish with a C in the class. I was talking with a few HS friends today, guys that I blew away GPA wise in HS, saying they had 'As' in their chem courses with other profs. They mention that their prof doesnt even require them to have the textbook, instead, exams are based off notes. And thats the thing. They say their profs give out 4-5 easy exams, BONUS quizzes, BONUS assignments, etc. My prof? We have 2 exams. 20 questions each. 60% of your grade. Basically you are given 180 pages of material for a 20 question quiz. Only naturally, about 80% of the info ISNT EVEN COVERED!! And she doesnt have a drop exam nor does she apply a curve.

This really, really upsets me when people doing less than half the work I am are getting better grades than me in Chem, simply because they have a better prof. I will end up with a C in chem, not because of my academic incompetence, but because of my profs insanely difficult grading standards. This kills me, knowing I could have had an A, and got stuck with a bad prof and now a C.

Are med schools going to care about whether I can distinguish between pi and sigma bonds? Probably not. All they will see is whether I go a 'C' or an 'A' for chem. Sucks big time.

2. drmota

drmota 2K Member
    5+ Year Member

don't worry about other people bro. just study your ass off from now on. thats the only good advice you'll get on here.
    -mota

3. annamarie

annamarie Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Aww, that sucks, I'm sorry.

One thing that is in your favor though--when it comes time to take the MCAT, you will be better prepared than your hs friends. The MCAT does care if you know what sigma and pi bonds are.

Good luck in your classes!

4. 75969

75969 Guest

Medical Student
    go to ratemyprofessor.com and do your research on a professor before taking their class....or read how difficult it is to know what you are in store for!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. QofQuimica

QofQuimica Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
    Three thoughts for you:

1. Easier classes don't equate with *better* ones. If anything, the opposite is probably true. See if your friends will still be glad that they didn't have to learn much chem now come MCAT time in a couple of years.

2. You are in the driver's seat to determine your grade, not the professor. If you didn't do well on the first exam, you need to change something (studying habits, get extra help, whatever). You might even try going to your prof's office hours to get some tips for the next test.

3. Unfairness is a fact of life. Instead of bemoaning it, accept it, and work on the things that you do have control over, like changing your study habits so that you can ace the next exam.

Best of :luck: to you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Jon Davis

Jon Davis I killed the bank.
    10+ Year Member

Word. Always do your research before the semester when it comes to profs. It will payoff big time.

7. odrade1

odrade1 UASOM alum
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    AMEN to all three points, especially the first. We have 2 professors who teach Organic I. One is really hard & has fewer A, B, & C grades awarded each term. The other is much easier & has tons of A, B, & C grades. Guess whose students do better on the ACS exam? I bet they also do better on the MCAT. I rocked the organic related questions on the MCAT and the two biggest reasons for that were: my tough professor & my willingness to step up to the plate & work hard in her class. BTW the tough professor I mentioned had some harsh crap written about her on ratemyprofessor.com. If people want easy, they should do something else. Medicine is a lifetime of work.
    If your main motivation is to have an easier professor, work less, & get a letter grade higher, then you might want to reconsider med school: lots of hard professors; lots of day-to-day & test-to-test unfairness. Embrace the challenge, count yourself lucky that you will have to learn so much, and don't worry about one B or C in chemistry. It won't matter if the rest of your transcript is good.

All that said, there *is* a difference between tough teachers who are tough because they hold the students to high standards, and tough teachers who are *insane.* Our school fired a tough, insane orgo teacher & replaced him with the tough, hold-your-students-to-a-high-standard teacher. Everyone was better off. If your teacher is insane, and not merely tough, then sorry about the insinuation of poor motivation on your part.

Best of luck!

8. desertdr

desertdr Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Chris127-

I'm with Q (my soulmate! :) ) on this one. It's true, to some extent, that the prof will make a big difference in your grades and more importantly, you're love/hate for a particular subject. However, like others have said, just focus on your own study habits and grades and in the course of it all, everything will even out....better MCAT, GRE scores, prep for Orgo, etc.

Having taught gen chem and org. chem (lecture, discussion, and labs), it's all about what you take from the class......of course, a good prof. doesn't hurt!

9. exmike

exmike NOR * CAL
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I dont get it. if the prof sucked, then everyone in the class should have been equally miseducated and you would have ended up with a grade reflective of your knowldge with respect to the rest of the class.

10. Darth Asclepius

Darth Asclepius Dark Lord of the Sith
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You don't get to pick your professors in med school. If you don't learn how to deal with difficult classes/crappy professors now, it's going to be much worse for you later on. My classmates that managed to get through undergrad without taking any really tough classes had a higher GPA then, but a much harder time adapting to med school than those who elected to take difficult courses/sections of courses. Taking the easy way out now will not pay off in the end. Take Q's advice and figure out how to be successful despite the difficult professor. You will be better off for it.

11. 63768

63768 Guest
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i'm tired of seeing people complain. if a class isn't going your way, adjust. if you can't handle a tough class in college, you won't stand a chance against some dingus prof in med school. such profs are the ones that force you to learn and do your best; you should be so fortunate to have selected your current chem prof.

12. osli

osli Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yep. Or more to the point, your organic classes sure as hell will care, and by the time you make it to the MCAT you'd better know the difference like it's the sun and the moon.

13. The Answer

The Answer New Member

Pre-Medical

Assuming you make it into medical school. I will take the easier prof. 9/10 times and take an A over a C anyday.

14. Karim

Karim The Egyptian Undergrad
    5+ Year Member

I have a Biology teacher like that. 3 midterms, a final, and no curve/extra credit whatsoever. It also doesn't help that her tests are insanely hard, with the average in the F/D range.

I need to ace the last midterm (this upcoming Tuesday) and the final for an A in the class. She doesn't do use an A/A- or B/B-, etc. scale so anything below a 89 - 80 is a solid B (3.0). Anything 90+ is a solid A. I need that A.

I just take solace in the fact that I study very hard for her tests so I can do well on them, and as a result, I have learned a lot, which will help me come MCAT time.

I need to go to bed now so I can wake up early and study for Tuesday's midterm...wish me luck! And good luck in your chem class, Chris!

15. 63768

63768 Guest
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    easier is nice. yea while an A would have helped me a lot, i wish i had taken the opportunity to truly understand the material in the courses that i didn't do so well in. i just think people can learn to adjust to things that don't go their way. medicine is just like that: adjusting to new situations.

16. Shredder

Shredder User
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    of course--thats why standardized tests are far superior to grades. way too many exogenous variables involved in GPA

17. _ian

_ian Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

If you need to rely on the professor to get a good grade, you're not as smart as you think you are.

18. Jon Davis

Jon Davis I killed the bank.
    10+ Year Member

Many people on this thread believe that researching a prof involves looking for the easiest A. Simply not true. I think one should research for the best prof who provides the best education for you. You're paying the money, so don't settle for something you're not happy with. Some people are happy getting the easy A with the easy prof. Thats their problem. I've dropped a couple profs because they weren't dedicated to providing a solid course (esp. core classes). I can admit I've pursued an easier prof for classes not really related to my degree such as a Film History class. For me its an inconsequential class, so I just pursued the easier A.

19. doctorFred

doctorFred intensive carer
    Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    +pity+ +pity+ +pity+

i can think of about a dozen or more injustices of the same vein most people will encounter in high school, college and medical school. do your best.

in the words of al swearengen..
    Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f***ing beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

20. mrhealth

mrhealth Member
    7+ Year Member

that is what i was going to say. i never like when people complain about their grades and blame it on a professor (except for rare cases when a professor fails 90% of a class and hands out no As or Bs). the fact is that im sure that there are students in the class that are doing well and getting As and Bs. the professor may be awful, but he/she is awful for everyone. the professor will still give out As to those that do the best on his exams (however low that score may fall). if you are really that concerned about your scores and cant count on your professor, then you need to take the initiative to learn it on your own (visit TA office hours, read the book over and over so you understand the concepts). the situation may suck, the professor may be awful, and you may not be able to go out that extra night on the weekend in order to study because of it... but thats the life of someone who cares about their performance

21. fullefect1

fullefect1 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I scheduale my classes around the good professors time slots... not by mine. Sometimes I even go late to football practice because of this.

22. Hausdaddy24

Hausdaddy24 Im that man fromNantucket
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
  23. Hausdaddy24

Hausdaddy24 Im that man fromNantucket
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    For some reason I find it hard to believe that, if everyone else in the class is doing as poorly as you are, the prof doesn't curve. Believe it or not most professors do care about the grades their students make. In most places if a department consistently has a certain percentage of students failing their classes they may be put on probation. This means less funding, job cuts, etc. and believe me this is the last thing they want. Plus if one professor in particular has an insane number of students failing his/her class, this will reflect poorly on them when they get evaluated for raises/promotions. I think that most professors shoot for a nice, smooth bell curve.