1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Wow... one class really CAN change your GPA!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by biogirl215, Jan 6, 2009.

1. biogirl215

2+ Year Member

I was using one of those online GPA calculators to figure out my GPA and decided to see what would happen if I had not gotten the lowest grade I've received thus far (4 credits of C+ out of 95 credits total--8 credits of B, 4 of B+, 3 of A-, all the rest A's). Surprisingly, changing that to 4 credits of A moved my GPA all the way up from 3.81 to 3.89 and excluding the course (as if I had taken it P/F) still bumped my GPA up to a 3.87! By contrast, 25 additional credits of A would only bump my GPA up to a 3.85, and it would take 50 credits of A to move it to 3.89.

Moral of story: Every grade does matter!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. IndianVercetti

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Yeah, true, but in the large scheme of things, any GPA from a 3.81 to a 3.89 really wouldn't change your application in any way. I've always tried to study to learn the material, and just accept whatever grade I get (if you study, you'll get a good grade). That way, you're really mastering the material come time for the MCAT, and a lot of the stress related to grades is removed. Don't nitpick over individual grades!

Good luck!

4. NeuroChaos

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    At one point, grade does not matter.

My friend who is a straight A type guy:
    A GPA of 3.954 is moved to 3.956 w/ an A in a 3 credit course. It just gets sooo boring. GPA changes .002 with an 3 credit A, come on now!

I like the thrill of calculating every month of the class how my GPA would be affected if I get an A, an A-, ...so on. So exciting, and keeps life interesting!

5. airplanes

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    lol. yeah once your GPA gets to a certain level, it takes forever to move it up.

6. flip26

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yeah, but what a sweet problem to have...

7. airplanes

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    touche :)
    sorry to come off like a tool.

8. redlight

redlight Senior Member :D
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    lol one of my friends was complaining about this.. he only has 1 A- and this past semester of 4.0 only moved him up by.02 (rounded up)
    he means well tho (doesnt like to brag) so i didnt make much noise about it

9. IDoIt4Love

IDoIt4Love Breathe...just believe.
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    OMG you're telling me! I got a C in gen chem I and if only I had gotten a B instead it could have moved my entire BCPM GPA up a whole point! and I'm a senior! (non-science major though, so I've only taken like....40-something credits of science).