MrDreamWeaver

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 5, 2005
Status (Visible)
Alright guys. My situation here is extremely strange and I feel like I can't ask anyone for help because my buddies would get offended. Thus, I was hoping a few of you could lend a helping voice...I know you guys are bright.

My life just took a radical change. For the past 3 years I have been pretty solid on the medicine route, but I've also thought about dentistry (primarily because I'd like more time for a family). However, now I feel like neither really entice me.

Let me give you a quick background of me so you can understand my confusion to come:
1. Should be a senior now but transferred from community college so I'm a junior at UCSB.
2. GPA is good...around a 3.6-3.7.
3. Med school//dental school reqs are complete
4. MCAT/DAT this summer.
5. Athletic body, likes long walks on the beach. Opps..wrong forum!

So as you now know, I'm a student at UCSB. I look like the typical pre-med student with a decent GPA, good extracurrs, etc. However, I'm not.

I JUST realized (seriously, like 24hrs ago) that I should have transferred from my community college to a better school. By better, I mean something like UCLA/Berkeley/or better. I should have gone to this better school, majored in econ, did some sweet internships in the summer, and then I'd have a nice sweet job with I graduate. Blahhhhhhhhhhhh wish I did this :(

So now I'm in the position where I'm at UCSB... definitely not a poor school but clearly not the type of school where you can go far after graduating with a simple BA in Business. In addition, I haven't even taken the course ECON 1...so changing my major right now or transferring colleges seems like an impractical idea.

Alright. So in my mind I can't really see any other options than to continue with the medicine route, or go with dentistry. The benefits of medicine is that it's a more rewarding and interesting job, and pays a little better. However, after speaking to several Mds I've realized medicine isn't what it's all cracked up to be. I wouldn't really want to do it unless I could do a job where I wouldn't be on-call or in the hospital all day. I'd do something like ear-nose-throat or plastics. On the other hand, dentistry seems like a pretty boring job. And that's all, "just a job." However, it does pay pretty well and allows time for a family.

Practicality tells me that the best route for me, right now, would be dentistry. What do you guys think?

Thanks so much. Honestly. If you read this far please take the time to write an opinion. I'd really appreciate it.

INdyMD

10+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2006
Indiana
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Don't go into medicine or dentistry just because it seems practical. Even though both pay well, you'll be miserable and the money just isn't worth it.

IceMan0824

Holy crip, he's a crapple
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Alright guys. My situation here is extremely strange and I feel like I can't ask anyone for help because my buddies would get offended. Thus, I was hoping a few of you could lend a helping voice...I know you guys are bright.

My life just took a radical change. For the past 3 years I have been pretty solid on the medicine route, but I've also thought about dentistry (primarily because I'd like more time for a family). However, now I feel like neither really entice me.

Let me give you a quick background of me so you can understand my confusion to come:
1. Should be a senior now but transferred from community college so I'm a junior at UCSB.
2. GPA is good...around a 3.6-3.7.
3. Med school//dental school reqs are complete
4. MCAT/DAT this summer.
5. Athletic body, likes long walks on the beach. Opps..wrong forum!

So as you now know, I'm a student at UCSB. I look like the typical pre-med student with a decent GPA, good extracurrs, etc. However, I'm not.

I JUST realized (seriously, like 24hrs ago) that I should have transferred from my community college to a better school. By better, I mean something like UCLA/Berkeley/or better. I should have gone to this better school, majored in econ, did some sweet internships in the summer, and then I'd have a nice sweet job with I graduate.

So now I'm in the position where I'm at UCSB... definitely not a poor school but clearly not the type of school where you can go far after graduating with a simple BA in Business. In addition, I haven't even taken the course ECON 1...so changing my major right now or transferring colleges seems like an impractical idea.

Alright. So in my mind I can't really see any other options than to continue with the medicine route, or go with dentistry. The benefits of medicine is that it's a more rewarding and interesting job, and pays a little better. However, after speaking to several Mds I've realized medicine isn't what it's all cracked up to be. I wouldn't really want to do it unless I could do a job where I wouldn't be on-call or in the hospital all day. I'd do something like ear-nose-throat or plastics. On the other hand, dentistry seems like a pretty boring job. And that's all, "just a job." However, it does pay pretty well and allows time for a family.

Practicality tells me that the best route for me, right now, would be dentistry. What do you guys think?

Thanks so much. Honestly. If you read this far please take the time to write an opinion. I'd really appreciate it.

Do you really want an opinion. Here's hoping the OP is not a troll

I'm not too familiar with the UC's but I'm certain that graduating with a BA in Business from SB will not hinder you that much. Sure, you've missed out on internship and connection opportunities but it still is possible to get your foot into the business sector. Plus, if you are really serious about a job in business, you will need to work for a few years, then apply to a school for a MBA to get more doors opened for you. This seems to be the trend that the business sector is heading. With the MBA, it's your GMAT scores, LORs, GPA, and work experience that will get you in, and not really the name of the school that granted your BA.
If it takes 6 years to get the BA, who cares? As long as you have it, and are happy with it.

As for going into medicine or dentistry, I believe you are asking the wrong people. Most of us here are interested in medicine, and although we know of the dentistry route, we're still interested in medicine. Sounds like a biased crowd to me.

So in my opinion, go to medicine. Why would you want to stare at other people's mouth all day long. Ewwwww.:laugh: :laugh:

MD/MBA is also a viable option, if you are willing to stick it out.

About the Ads

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
However, now I feel like neither really entice me.

If you are not totally excited about the prospect of practicing medicine, absolutely do not go the medical route. It is a long hard road that requires a substantial 7+ year committment of long houred schooling and training, and if you aren't interested, you won't make it.

MonkeyNuts!

Even Kal has bad days...
10+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2005
You need clinical and/or dental experience. Talking to people in the field doesn't put you in it. Even though it is a minimal exposure, it will tell you alot whether you have passion for it or not.

searun

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
You don't need an economics degree to be accepted into a good MBA program. I also would recommend working for 2 or three years in some field of business that interests you and then applying to some MBA programs at some of the California Universities. There are alot of people in MBA programs who were not business majors. Forget medicine and dentistry - you don't have a passion for it and it is too long, too hard of a grind without the passion. So graduate from UCSB ( which is a perfectly fine university), knock around in the business world for a few years, and then get the MBA and check out the high tech world which is making a comeback.

ryanl

10+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Think on this one really hard. But Id after thinking you still think Econ would have been better.... Make the change.

I did a change in an opposite direction. I was 3 years into a computer science degree, and decided I hated it. I took a couple years off to work. Eventually I decided to finish college and changed to a Chemistry major and a different university. Finally in my 2nd to last year I decided to go the med school route. I took the long road, but in the end, you live once, and are the only one who can decide what's best for you.

BTW I'm 28 years old, so it's never too late to choose a new direction in life.

MrDreamWeaver

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 5, 2005
Status (Visible)
Alright guys. Thanks for the opinions.

I've actually spent quite some time in the hospital volunteering, so I please don't think I'm some idiot who doesn't know what I'm getting myself into. I do. And that's why I realize that it may not be worth it... which is ultimately why I decided to discuss the situation.

As far "don't do dentistry if you aren't interested" ... I'm not sure if I believe that. All the pre-dents I know are happy admitting they are doing it for the money. I've have yet to come across a pre-dent who honestly loves drilling into people's mouths. Heh.

Guys it's not like I have no passion for medicine. I really do. I just feel like BUSINESS fits my personality/desire better right now. But as I said, I'm not really sure if the business route is bright for me (considering my school, already a 5th year, etc).

IceMan...hmm.. MD/MBA option seems pretty interesting. I'll read up on that.

MonkeyNuts!

Even Kal has bad days...
10+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2005
Make sure your volunteering is real volunteering. I was in an ER for a while and eventually I got to just standing around. Go somewhere where you can talk to patients and maybe help out in the treatment/diagnosis - if you're not close enough to smell the patient, it's not good clinical volunteering. Something like a homeless clinic...

IceMan0824

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student

What year are you applying...because the less competition I get the better.

J/K. Pm me with specific questions or just scroll down to the MD/MBA forum and read some posts there.

delpier07

10+ Year Member
Jan 28, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
You've got a tough decision to make. I understand where you're coming from with the fact that UCSD may not have the most prestigious business school, but I also know that all of my siblings came out of a similar business program and were able to find good jobs. True, they don't make 100K like someone coming out of Princeton, but its easy to climb the ladder fast in business. Also, you're at a point where whatever you decide to do, it will take you 3-4 more years of education, whether its medicine, dentistry, or business, so decide on whatever will make you the happiest.

sirus_virus

nonsense poster
10+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
why do you guys keep abusing the acronym "MBA"? It is almost like an MBA is a sure route to financial success according to SDN. I am ~3 months from getting my MBA and I can tell you that it is not what you make it out to be. You learn how to run a business, but don't expect companies to be lined up waiting for you with bags of cash. I know people with MBAs working as buyers for some companies making only 50K. It just seems like everytime career topics pop up on SDN, people start chanting "MBA" like it is some easy route to quick cash. OP, do what you like, nothing will garauntee you success/joy.

About the Ads

etsuprinthead

10+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2006
Tennessee
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
med school / residency take forever anyway -- why not take a couple more years to work on an econ degree and see if it's for you, if that's what you feel really interested in? right now, i'm wishing i'd taken a year off between undergrad and med school, anyway -- not because i'm not sure about it, but because i want a break (i'll be starting med school in the fall -- quite happily, even without a break).

KenDoll

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I wouldn't spend another two years in undergrad switching to an economics degree. Why not graduate from UCSB with whatever degree you're currently pursuing, then go after some of the interesting corporate jobs you can get at biotech firms (Medtronic, etal) that would welcome your science degree. While you're there you'll obtain a better understanding of what it's like to work in the corporate world. Definitely take the time to meet and get to know financial analysts and other upper-level managers.

Spend a couple of years figuring out what you want to do with your life. If you realize that you love finance, marketing, IT then pursue an MBA. If you're knocked over the head by how much you miss healthcare, then pursue medicine/dentistry. Either way you'll have the experience to back up either choice.

:luck:

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I wouldn't spend another two years in undergrad switching to an economics degree. Why not graduate from UCSB with whatever degree you're currently pursuing, then go after some of the interesting corporate jobs you can get at biotech firms (Medtronic, etal) that would welcome your science degree. While you're there you'll obtain a better understanding of what it's like to work in the corporate world. Definitely take the time to meet and get to know financial analysts and other upper-level managers.

Spend a couple of years figuring out what you want to do with your life. If you realize that you love finance, marketing, IT then pursue an MBA. If you're knocked over the head by how much you miss healthcare, then pursue medicine/dentistry. Either way you'll have the experience to back up either choice.

:luck:

Sound advice.

msl2007

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2003
Midwest
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
My sister was premed in college.... great GPA, worked in a research lab, majored in biology/life sceinces, etc. Then she decided-nope, not going into medicine! She went into economics instead. She found a professor to work with on a research project (about this time of year his junior year), then took a year off to teach and travel, took the GRE and got into some great grad programs. She had to take more math in grad school to make up for her deficit, but other than that, was on the same page. She had taken the equiv of econ 101 and econ 102 in college. Now 4 years post-B.S., she has hers masters and is working on her phd in econ.

If you want grad school and can't get straight in, you could do post-bacc work for the prereqs.

All is not lost! Plus, if you do the MBA/ grad school thing and realize that wasn't right, you can always go back to medicine with more money and more experience than you would have had.

IceMan0824

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
why do you guys keep abusing the acronym "MBA"? It is almost like an MBA is a sure route to financial success according to SDN. I am ~3 months from getting my MBA and I can tell you that it is not what you make it out to be. You learn how to run a business, but don't expect companies to be lined up waiting for you with bags of cash. I know people with MBAs working as buyers for some companies making only 50K. It just seems like everytime career topics pop up on SDN, people start chanting "MBA" like it is some easy route to quick cash. OP, do what you like, nothing will garauntee you success/joy.

I don't see anywhere it is mentioned in this thread that a MBA is the key to financial success. Do you just have some reserved tension that you are trying to get rid of. I know of much better ways to get that done and I can throw some suggestions your way.

When I mentioned the MBA, I told him that this seems to be the way that business is heading(note the OP wanted to enter the business field). I know, at least for the firms that I have worked with, there are some doors that don't open for you unless you have at least an MBA or years(and I mean years) of valuable work experience. With that said, it's not the CEO position that is opening up, but rather a mid-level management job that has the opportunity to open other doors in the business world. Do I know people that have made it without getting an MBA, yes...but most have at least a CPA or CFA or a vast amount of work experience to back them up. Besides, you can't really gain acceptance to business school without some work experience (unless it is a dual degree), simply because the school value the time and education that working brings.

I mentioned the MBA because I believe the degree is worth it in the long run. Most firms will even pay the associate to get the degree. Is it the key to financial freedom? No. Will it definately help in that quest? Of course. Business is a lot more that what you learn in class, but at some point, learning it in class is faster, and (in terms of opportunity cost of your time) cheaper than learning it from experience.

Besides, everyone knows that if he really wants to make the big bucks, all he has to do is find a rich, successful oil tycoon and sleep with him, then hope he dies 4 months after the marriage. Oh don't forget to get him to add you to his will, so you don't have to go through years of litigation, weight gain, and its eventually loss...because we all know where that will end.:eek: :wow: (Too soon...nah I doubt it, everyone in the lounge is doing it)

samiam37

10+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
work for a year at least in business after you graduate( take a year in b/w in college and med school. )
doing the 9-6 at least daily grind will really give you a look into the repetitive life of "work". personality type is a huge factor. do what fits YOU...not your idea of how your life should unfold

GreyFox2002

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
Why not the route of pharmacy? You'll make great money, have great job security, work normal work weeks, never be on call, and you can always do a PharmD/MBA program and get into the business of pharmacy (health management coprporations for example). You can open up your own pharmacy as well. Or you could be like me and choose clinical pharmacy.

Sorry, but you don't sound like your going to be happy in either medicine or dentistry.

kdburton

Ulnar Deviant
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Alright guys. Thanks for the opinions.

I've actually spent quite some time in the hospital volunteering, so I please don't think I'm some idiot who doesn't know what I'm getting myself into. I do. And that's why I realize that it may not be worth it... which is ultimately why I decided to discuss the situation.

As far "don't do dentistry if you aren't interested" ... I'm not sure if I believe that. All the pre-dents I know are happy admitting they are doing it for the money. I've have yet to come across a pre-dent who honestly loves drilling into people's mouths. Heh.

Guys it's not like I have no passion for medicine. I really do. I just feel like BUSINESS fits my personality/desire better right now. But as I said, I'm not really sure if the business route is bright for me (considering my school, already a 5th year, etc).

Go into dentistry. I have pre-dent friends that say the same thing about the prospect for money, and its true. The fact is that most dentist probably make more $$ than doctors anyways (contrary to what you said in your first post), and you can work like 30 hours/week. I went to a top business school and the two times a year that I see my dentist she tells me that I should go into dentistry because my business background would be great for it. Dentistry, and most of the doors I had open to me while in business school, seemed awfully boring to me...

cheesegirl

10+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
If a two year consulting gig or something like that is in your future (then business school) I think you are fine. Most jobs really don't care at all what you majored in--just that you are competent/what they are looking for. My roomie majored in Communication Studies and she is going on to a $70,000 consulting job in the summer...

GOOD LUCK

patrickd223

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Other Health Professions Student
It sounds like you are going into medicine for the wrong reasons. Dont go through medical school if you have any wimper of a doubt in your mind. Have you considered an allied health profession like physical therapy which lets you combine medicine and business. That is one of the few medical fields that seems to be give the provider lots of business autonomy.

braluk

SDN Surgerynator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2006
The Big Easy
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Md/MBA seems like it would be a match for you if you're ready to go into the business side of medicine. The MD/MBAs ive worked work between physicians and pharm companies, marketing for medical companies, consultants for pharmaceutical companies, travel around the world for functions and conferences. Granted, MD/MBA may not be for you, but if you want to put your medical experience thus far to use, and still end up in business as you desired, check out the MD/MBA routes

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.