WREB Composite Class II question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flat4

Mullet Redesigner
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my classmates and I are trying to figure out what the difference is between the amalgam and composite(non slot type) Class II requirements for the WREB's. Sturdevant says the only real difference is that the cavosurface margin can be greater than 90 degrees and that composite preps don't usually have secondary retentive features such as grooves.

Some of my classmates are saying that there NEEDS to be a .5mm bevel on the gingival, facial, and lingual walls of the box on the cavosurface margin. There is indeed a criteria for this on the grading sheet but it's not clear whether this is for if you choose to do a slot prep or for ALL direct composite class II's. Also, some people say the facial and lingual walls of the prep need to be divergent while in Sturdevant, it says they should be converging towards the occlusal.

So is there anyone here that knows FOR CERTAIN what the criteria are (AKA no wild guesses please as I'm already confused as it is)? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So my classmates and I are trying to figure out what the difference is between the amalgam and composite(non slot type) Class II requirements for the WREB's. Sturdevant says the only real difference is that the cavosurface margin can be greater than 90 degrees and that composite preps don't usually have secondary retentive features such as grooves.

Some of my classmates are saying that there NEEDS to be a .5mm bevel on the gingival, facial, and lingual walls of the box on the cavosurface margin. There is indeed a criteria for this on the grading sheet but it's not clear whether this is for if you choose to do a slot prep or for ALL direct composite class II's. Also, some people say the facial and lingual walls of the prep need to be divergent while in Sturdevant, it says they should be converging towards the occlusal.

So is there anyone here that knows FOR CERTAIN what the criteria are (AKA no wild guesses please as I'm already confused as it is)? Thanks!
Doesn't the candidate manual address that? My NERB manual covered, in excruciating detail, everything you could possibly ask about the clinical criteria.

I just finished taking the wreb about two weeks ago. You will want to try to place the 0.5 mm bevels on the gingival, facial, and lingual. We are not taught that at my school, but you can easily do it with hand instruments or a diamond. The examiners during our orientation said they will check for the bevels. Be careful of your depth on the prep with respect to your pulpal floor. You will want to leave your prep in enamel, unless caries dictates otherwise. Read your manual thoroughly, bc it will help you out if you have any doubts/questions during the exam. I passed the exam with an 84, so if you have any further questions, I might be able to help you out. Best of luck.

Another quick note or two: Your composite prep should look very similar to your amalgam prep with the exception of more rounded internal line angles. If you do a slot prep be sure to make your retention grooves prominent bc the examiners said they will grade down substantially for lack of adequate retention.

Doesn't the candidate manual address that? My NERB manual covered, in excruciating detail, everything you could possibly ask about the clinical criteria.

I actually took the NERB also and the manual was pretty clear but for some reason, the WREB manual is a little more vague. What are you doing next year anyways Bill? What about "Dad"? Where's he going?

Be careful of your depth on the prep with respect to your pulpal floor. You will want to leave your prep in enamel, unless caries dictates otherwise.

Thanks for your help. The part about leaving it in enamel is news to me. I didn't see it in the manual. The manual says they go by Sturdevant so I was reading it the other night and I thought it said you are supposed to go .2mm into dentin:confused: We have orientation tommorow so I guess we'll find out the real truth tommorow. Congrats on passing.