WREB prep question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2006Grad

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to do a DO on 28(1st mandibular premolar) for my WREB exam. I am debating if I should cross the transverse ridge anyways during the exam. I plan on placing a composite in the tooth. What do you think? Should I take a chance and play it safe by just crossing it? If I don't I feel like I will be just doing a slot prep which can get tricky. Do you think I will lose points if I cross it even if the mesial doesnt seem to have any caries? I am trying to play it safe. Thanks for any replies.

Members don't see this ad.

DO on number 28.
for composite, your outline follows the lession, if you don't see any caryies, why cutting the Transverse ridge? use your explorer, no catch, then no need to cut the TR. also Caries Indicator is a great tool too. you can start your prep from the distal pit and extend distaly. That is not consider a slot prep. EvenThough you don't extend all the way to the mesial marginal ridge.

Do you think I will lose points if I cross it even if the mesial doesnt seem to have any caries? I am trying to play it safe. Thanks for any replies.

You won't lose points. The choice of crossing the ridge is yours. Do what you're most comfortable with. But you do need to decide beforehand. You can't write down that you're doing a DO on #28 and then change your mind during the exam and do a slot prep and vice versa.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
removing a sound tooth if it is not cavited is automatic failure man
said how is your choice?

Members don't see this ad :)
i just took the wreb two days ago, and did the exact same tooth number and surface. wreb does not care if you cross the ridge and you will not lose points for that. i cleared that up during orientation.

If it is sound you are right. If it is cavited and you don't see it. 9 Points lost
I have taken 4 National board exam and outa those I have passed three of them
it is your choice if the ridge is sound and you don't cross it, however, if the point that the ridge is cavited, and you don't see it. you will fail the exam with loosing 9 points
also removing a sound tooth for composite prep, it is consider overtreatment

i just took the wreb two days ago, and did the exact same tooth number and surface. wreb does not care if you cross the ridge and you will not lose points for that. i cleared that up during orientation.

I agree, I read something to that effect in the candidate manual.
If there are any questions about this, I would ask at the candidate orientation.

You can't write down that you're doing a DO on #28 and then change your mind during the exam and do a slot prep and vice versa.

Sure you can. Before you send it to get graded is when you check whether or not you are doing a conventional prep or a slot prep. Prior to that all they'll know is the tooth# and DO or MO.

So you can start with a slot then go to a conventional if you need it (but be careful because only one of the two preps can be a slot prep!).

Sure you can. Before you send it to get graded is when you check whether or not you are doing a conventional prep or a slot prep. Prior to that all they'll know is the tooth# and DO or MO.

So you can start with a slot then go to a conventional if you need it (but be careful because only one of the two preps can be a slot prep!).

You're right. My bad.

okay so i have a question
if i am working on #15 MO...and if i have to cross the oblique ridge do i just go ahead and DO it..or tell the floor examiners in the form of a modification first? this is just something that is on my mind...do we cross it if we know it is cavitated iwthout telling them..or tell them before we do it??

before you send your pt. to the examiners, if you see an abvious cavities, then tell them that you have to cross the ridge, however, if it is not obvious, then do your MO prep, and if the caries extended to the ridge ( after opening you see it) then go head ask for extension

HI.

Does any one know how does WREB scores it's endo part. Just did my WREB and had a major time problem. My obturation on one tooth had voids and the I could not clean the acces of the other tooth enough because of which there is guttpercha on the pulp chamber and a little towards the adjacent root.
Access on both was fine.
I am really worried.

Thanks