WREB results--likely to fail?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crackerjack9999

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's been a few weeks since I've taken the WREB but I can't get this endo fear out of my mind.

My access preps for 7 and 19 looked alright. But, due to limited time, I ended up doing extremely poorly on the instrumentations and condensations for both teeth. For 19, the condensation was ok but its instrumentation/gutta percha was like 3-4 mm beyond the apex.

7 turned out to be a complete disaster. I under-instrumented and my gutta percha was nonexistent on the lower half of the root, not to mention a large coronal void.

For those went thru the WREBs before, how realistic is it for me to pass the endo section and the entire exam? I've heard stories of some people getting scores higher than they deserve, so I'm trying to predict if the likewise can also happen to me. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Access is 8 points, condensation is 10, split between the two teeth. If you are graded appropriately and your access is perfect, the most you can get if both fills are between 2 and 3mm from the apical foramen is 10/18 points. If they are both over 3mm from the foramen, you will get a 8/18. In the first case, you will have over 55% which is enough to pass this section. As long as you can make up the rest of the points in the other sections to achieve an overall 75%, you will pass.
If you get lower than 55% on this section, just hope you have a 75% overall score and over 55% on everything else and you will just have to make up the endo section.
Good luck.

Access is 8 points, condensation is 10, split between the two teeth. If you are graded appropriately and your access is perfect, the most you can get if both fills are between 2 and 3mm from the apical foramen is 12/18 points. If they are both over 3mm from the foramen, you will get a 10/18. In either case, you will have over 55% which is enough to pass this section. As long as you can make up the rest of the points in the other sections to achieve an overall 75%, you will pass.
If you are graded appropriately on the fills but the accesses are not perfect, just hope you have a 75% overall score and over 55% on everything else and you will just have to make up the endo section.
Good luck.
Are you serious? I can't believe a licensing board would give a passing grade for a 4mm overfill.

Are you serious? I can't believe a licensing board would give a passing grade for a 4mm overfill.

You caught me right before i corrected that typo. Over 3mm will lead to a 8/18 score (if the access is PERFECT) which is below 55%.
If that is the case, only the endo section will have to be retaken if you have passed all the other sections and have a 75% overall score.

Members don't see this ad :)
This one will be close, but I think that it's possible to lose all points for the fill, density, and shape on #7, and all points for fill on #19, and still pass.

Assuming you get all points for access opening, that's 8 points.

If GP is 4mm long, and the rest of the condensation is good, you should get 2/3 of condensation score for #19- 3 points(lets be conservative)

Assume no points for #7 condensation - 0 points

11 out of 18 points or about 60%

Of course, their scoring system is somewhat vague, so who knows. You might get lucky...GOOD LUCK!

This one will be close, but I think that it's possible to lose all points for the fill, density, and shape on #7, and all points for fill on #19, and still pass.

Assuming you get all points for access opening, that's 8 points.

If GP is 4mm long, and the rest of the condensation is good, you should get 2/3 of condensation score for #19- 3 points(lets be conservative)

Assume no points for #7 condensation - 0 points

11 out of 18 points or about 60%

Of course, their scoring system is somewhat vague, so who knows. You might get lucky...GOOD LUCK!

today was the last day of wreb exam. march 2008 !!!!!!!!.:oops:
I did well with the patients and restorations. no modifications or pink slips.The perio was good and I didn't have any problem. But I wasn't lucky with the endo. I am really worried about the results already.:confused:

this was the situation: tooth # 14: coronal perforation, but obturation was very good. so I lost all points on access (3 points):(

tooth # 9: access was good, but 1 mm overfill with a lot of voids and irregularities. and that was because I tried to redo the obturation !!!!!:mad:

so I am sure I will get very good points on the other parts so the overall point would be more than %75. but I don't know if I get %55 on endo or not.

what are my chances to pass the endo?

today was the last day of wreb exam. march 2008 !!!!!!!!.:oops:
I did well with the patients and restorations. no modifications or pink slips.The perio was good and I didn't have any problem. But I wasn't lucky with the endo. I am really worried about the results already.:confused:

this was the situation: tooth # 14: coronal perforation, but obturation was very good. so I lost all points on access (3 points):(

tooth # 9: access was good, but 1 mm overfill with a lot of voids and irregularities. and that was because I tried to redo the obturation !!!!!:mad:

so I am sure I will get very good points on the other parts so the overall point would be more than %75. but I don't know if I get %55 on endo or not.

what are my chances to pass the endo?

Not very high iho, you have some serious prayers to say. Hopefully the guy who grades your endo falls asleep when he was looking at your xray. I know people who couldn't identify all canals still passed. However, the person did a good job obturated the only canal that he found. Keep your finger cross.

To avoid bubles problem, the best thing to do is gutta percha gun. Just stick it down there and shoot. Don't do lateral or cheap vertical unless you have done thousand of those. With obtura gun, I filled my canal in less than 5min. But seriously practice it first before you try on your exam

Not very high iho, you have some serious prayers to say. Hopefully the guy who grades your endo falls asleep when he was looking at your xray. I know people who couldn't identify all canals still passed. However, the person did a good job obturated the only canal that he found. Keep your finger cross.

To avoid bubles problem, the best thing to do is gutta percha gun. Just stick it down there and shoot. Don't do lateral or cheap vertical unless you have done thousand of those. With obtura gun, I filled my canal in less than 5min. But seriously practice it first before you try on your exam

where do you get one of these (for cheap)

I got mine from Sybron endo brand new, but anything used & cheap can be found on ebay for sure.

I got mine from Sybron endo brand new, but anything used & cheap can be found on ebay for sure.

hey Guys,

My operative patient got rejected, so I loose 3 points.
On the top of that my 2 modifications requests (in different procedures) were not approved so i got modification request not approved slip. So, I loose 6 points.
In total 9 points.
What are the chances of passing in operative section.
Endo was also horiible for me.
I think I should start preparing to retake the exam.

hey Guys,

My operative patient got rejected, so I loose 3 points.
On the top of that my 2 modifications requests (in different procedures) were not approved so i got modification request not approved slip. So, I loose 6 points.
In total 9 points.
What are the chances of passing in operative section.
Endo was also horiible for me.
I think I should start preparing to retake the exam.

I think you're right.

If you got the mods rejected on the same operative procedure you only lose 3 points. if it was one mod rejections on each operative procedure then you lose 6.