WREB: Worst Experience EVER

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JavadiCavity

DDS 2008
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Finished WREB today at UOP.

* PATP was a pedo patient and wasn't too difficult. Some students did more SSCs than me, but we all identified the same problem areas. Other cases seemed much harder.

* Endo went ok. I had sealer puffs on both canals either 1mm or less. My cones fit to length. No problems with sealer in the access cavities. Anterior access looked fabulous. Posterior access was a little wider than I preferred near the mesial canals.

* Amalgam prep had one mod and no pink slips.

* Composite prep had no mods, no pink slips, but a floor examiner came to tell me that 1 out of 3 graders felt like my gingival margin (class II) might be open and to let the patient know that if they have any sensitivity to come back to the clinic to have it fixed at a later date. No action was required at this time. I asked if that meant I failed the condensation. He said 'nope.' I said 'you made me poop my pants.' He said, 'I would have told you if it was more serious.' So, who knows . . . only one of three graders detected it, maybe I'm alright.

* Perio was uneventful, I think. No rejection. Things felt smooth, no bad tissue damage, and the teeth looked clean.

Overall, the worst experience of my life. If someone had taken my blood pressure during the exam, I'm sure it would have read 220/130. No experience in my life up to this point has matched the fear, anxiety, and terror caused by the WREB. Despite the kindness of the WREB personnel and the smoothness of the operations, I and everybody else were reduced to depraved crack ****** for the last 3 days.

Bottom line, no pink slips, no rejections, no serious problems on my endo. The only incident was the issue with one grader and my gingival margin (a non-validated incident). Hopefully, I passed. While I was sitting in the waiting room, I asked a gal where she was from. She said her husband was a student at Temple and he was here to take the WREB. I asked if they offered the WREB at Temple. She said it was offered, but her husband failed. He had no pink slips and felt like he passed. Oops! Good luck to everyone who recently took the WREB and are waiting for their results. No one, absolutely no one, deserves to take this test more than once!!

Members don't see this ad.

Like the guy from Temple, I just completed my second attempt on Saturday in Arizona. Felt fine, no pink slips, no rejections. Then again, I didn't have any my first time either. I had an endo root fracture that will lose me all condensation points for my posterior tooth. So in the end that will kill me. Either I pass it barely, or I have to retake the endo section. That's still better than taking the entire exam again, which I simply don't think I have the energy to do. If I fail completely, I'm moving on to another career. I'm half serious about that.

I think there will be quite a few in trouble from Arizona. Patients were getting rejected left and right, and although that doesn't kill you, it will add up to some lost points for many candidates. Three of us sent our perio patients at the same time, and mine was the only one accepted. I saw first-hand 7 perio rejections, and I'm sure there were others.

We'll see what happens in 2 weeks or so. There are few things as depressing as failing by a minimal amount, and I know that from experience.

I took WREBs this weekend and felt pretty confident that I passed it after it was over.

But --- after reading all these threads about the WREB exam on SDN, I feel like I shouldn't expect anything.

I had no pink slips, no examiners say anything bad about my work, no rejections or late submissions. But it sounds like no of that really matters. You could still fail.

I guess anything could happen. It's going to be a long 2 weeks. This really sucks.

I also took my board in AZ. First time experience with WREB and very stressful, specially being an external candidate. Everything else feels OK except Endo where I did get a pick slip (which is killing me from inside) and that was because of that damn X-ray machine which was messed up because of multiple hands and I had to re-take in last 5 min & result was 6 min late & they gave me a pink slip with -4 :mad: (I did contest as I took the technician and showed to her but the floor examiner told me that since I was within 15 min so I could not get any extentions), I am getting scary dreams now and my friend's call added up to stress and now I have heart burn as she could not pass her WREB exam and missed only by 0.4% average score :(
Believe me I feel that I am going to get heart attack soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if the WREB dental boards is base on a staight grading scale or will it be curved? I just completed my boards in Mesa, Arizona too. ENDO....lab was horrible.

I took mine couple months ago and I didnt get any pink slip. Everything went very smoothly and I really thought I did okay. I was shocked to find out that I failed the WREB by less than 0.5 point. I passed every section except the PATP. They took lOTs, i meant LOTS, of points off. I hope u did well and good luck!! Can someone tell me how exactly to study that PATP? what exactly are they looking for in the answer?PLEASE

I also took my board in AZ. First time experience with WREB and very stressful, specially being an external candidate. Everything else feels OK except Endo where I did get a pick slip (which is killing me from inside) and that was because of that damn X-ray machine which was messed up because of multiple hands and I had to re-take in last 5 min & result was 6 min late & they gave me a pink slip with -4 :mad: (I did contest as I took the technician and showed to her but the floor examiner told me that since I was within 15 min so I could not get any extentions), I am getting scary dreams now and my friend's call added up to stress and now I have heart burn as she could not pass her WREB exam and missed only by 0.4% average score :(
Believe me I feel that I am going to get heart attack soon.

When I turned my endo final films and teeth, I was one of the only 5 people that turned in right b4 the time ended.. Everyone else got a pink slip. I would say Endo was the most stressful section overall.

Does anyone know if the WREB dental boards is base on a staight grading scale or will it be curved? I just completed my boards in Mesa, Arizona too. ENDO....lab was horrible.

Straight scale. The 1-5 grades for each criteria equal a percentage of points available (4 is 88% of points for example). Above 75 total points (out of 100) is needed to pass.

Do those endo pink slips for late submissions take points off the overall WREB score, or the overall endo score. One makes it difficult to pass the endo portion, the other just messes up your overall score.

I guess the handbook says from the total score but I am not sure if that total score is ENDO total or total of everything :-(. Makes me more scared :eek:

I guess the handbook says from the total score but I am not sure if that total score is ENDO total or total of everything :-(. Makes me more scared :eek:

Total score of everything would be better than directly from the endo score. And, now that I think of it, I recall it being from the overall exam score.

Like the guy from Temple, I just completed my second attempt on Saturday in Arizona. Felt fine, no pink slips, no rejections. Then again, I didn't have any my first time either. I had an endo root fracture that will lose me all condensation points for my posterior tooth. So in the end that will kill me. Either I pass it barely, or I have to retake the endo section. That's still better than taking the entire exam again, which I simply don't think I have the energy to do. If I fail completely, I'm moving on to another career. I'm half serious about that.

I think there will be quite a few in trouble from Arizona. Patients were getting rejected left and right, and although that doesn't kill you, it will add up to some lost points for many candidates. Three of us sent our perio patients at the same time, and mine was the only one accepted. I saw first-hand 7 perio rejections, and I'm sure there were others.

We'll see what happens in 2 weeks or so. There are few things as depressing as failing by a minimal amount, and I know that from experience.

Got my results today in New York. I passed! This MUST give hope to all those who take it (or re-take it). I thought I failed the endo section.

Good luck to all!

Got my results today in New York. I passed! This MUST give hope to all those who take it (or re-take it). I thought I failed the endo section.

Good luck to all!

it does give me some hope,i am getting panic attacks everyday.what was you score my friend i know you lost 4 point did they deduct it from the total score.thanks

it does give me some hope,i am getting panic attacks everyday.what was you score my friend i know you lost 4 point did they deduct it from the total score.thanks

I lost more than that! Gutta percha more than 5mm out the apex = a loss of 6 points from the endo score. I passed with plenty of room to spare (above an 80)

Members don't see this ad :)
I passed too. Oh it is a relief.......... being a foreign qualified dentist. I was so scared because of loosing 4 points in endo.

Congratulation to everyone who has cleared!

I am a a foreign dentist planning to take WREB in future.
Please guide me how to prepare for this test ? Any sujjestions? What is PATP ?

Best place to learn about WREB is reading & understanding the candidate's guide available at www.wreb.org
Start looking for real ideal patients from now and build good professional relationship with them.
For endo best teeth would be #9 & # 5 (P) with straight roots and the apical foramen in the center of the root tip. No calcification. Soak teeth in bleach as suggested by WREB in their guide.
PATP is also in the candidate guide. Use SOAP formula for assessment and treatment plan should be based on SUPRE (Systemic, Urgent, Perio, Restorative, Elective) formula.
Good luck!

Finished WREB today at UOP.
Wow, time really flies. The day you were packing to move to California doesn't seem like it happened three years ago. I see your location changed. I assume you passed. Good luck and enjoy your new career!

I took my WREB at loma linda couple of weeks ago. I just got my results on saturday and I passed it!! Just thought I'll share my experience.

I got my patients from Lu Lau dental prep services at Los Angeles. All my patients were perfect. I had perfect class II and Class III lesions. No rejections at all. No pink slips either. PErio patient had a lot of calculus. Patients were very cooperative.They took care of everything- X-RAYS, MEDICAL HISTORY AND OTHER FORMS, patient transportation, breakfast and lunch for patients. They had back-ups too. They did charge me $7000 but it was worth it!! Their phone no. is 213-481-1102. Also I had a very good dental assistant. She had lot of experience with the WREB exam. She took care of all the paperwork. She even had few extra instruments for me. I would recommend her for anyone who is taking the WREB. She travels to any state for the Exam. Her Name is Beverly Darm and her contact no. is 916-712-2672.

The endo portion went ok. The fill on the final X-rays looked good. Just one advice....Plan ahead... keep track of time. allow time for x rays to dry. Follow instructions.

PATP went ok too. The case was straightforward. Learn the latest premedication schedule from american heart association.

Perio/ prostho computer exam was ok. I felt perio was easier then prostho.

I can help anyone with any questions about the exam.

Lu Lau patient finding service is awesome. I utilitized them for my SRTA exam. They took away alot of the stress of the board exam. I highly recommend them.

Hi I am curious how much was for the dental assistant? How many days do you need her? Is it 2 or 3 days? Can you explain methe procees i am lost !
Do you take the perio and prostho before or after the patient exam? Please reply! thanks!

I took the WREBs in May at USC. It was definitely nice taking the exam in the same facilities where I went to school. However, I felt quite relaxed taking the exam. It was overall significantly less stressful that taking the many competency exams that we had at USC. We also had mandatory Mock WREB exam before the school would certify us for the WREBs. I think that that helped considerably and really famaliarized me with the paperwork and procdures. The WREB grading criteria was less strigent that our exam requirements. For me the most stressful part of the exam was finding the patients. I agonized for weeks trying to find the right patient. I was really stressed out during the patient submission process, hoping that my patients wouldn't be rejected. I was almost considering using the Lu Lau dental service, but felt that the fees were too hefty. However, if I had the money, it would have made the exam consideralbly less stressful. Lu's husband, Calvin is faculty at USC, and helped prep us for the exam. From the prices that I heard, I thought that it was less expensive for the service for exams in the LA area, than previously noted for the AZ exam.

I passed without complication! I didn't get any pink slips either throughout the process. Good Luck to everyone out there!

Hi I am curious how much was for the dental assistant? How many days do you need her? Is it 2 or 3 days? Can you explain methe procees i am lost !
Do you take the perio and prostho before or after the patient exam? Please reply! thanks!

The WREB will send you a schedule assignment. You will be assigned specific times to take the patient treatment planning exam and the endodontic exam. All the other time is yours to use as you choose for your perio patient and your operative patients.

Orientation and the treatment planning exam are on the first day. You then have 2 full days following that, and one 1/2 day to complete the perio and operative portions.

You could use an assistant for one day, 2 days, or 2.5 days, depending on how you schedule your patients and use your time. Your safest bet is to get an assistant for the entire time. If you don't use them then great, but it would stink to need them and not have them.

In regards to the perio/prosth computer exam, you may take it 45 days before the WREB or 3 days (I think?) after the WREB. Most take it before to get it out of the way. YOU schedule that yourself after you register for the WREB.

Are there any rules about who the student is allowed to use as their dental assistant? I tried to find rules about that on the WREB website but was unsuccessful.

Are there any rules about who the student is allowed to use as their dental assistant? I tried to find rules about that on the WREB website but was unsuccessful.

The CANDIDATE GUIDE is available for download and viewing on the WREB website and lists the rules for the entire exam.

Assistants cannot be dentists or 3rd or 4th year dental students. Everybody else is acceptable. The assistant may also perform any functions that are legal for an assistant in the state where you are taking the exam.

I used the dental assistant for a day and a half. I did my 2 operative procedures on the full clinic day and the perio procedure on a half day after my endo session. I paid $950 for the entire time. She was great and took care of all the paperwork for me. I would highly recommend her to anyone for the boards.

I took the perio and prostho exam before the clinical. You can take the exam anytime during the 45 day time frame that they assign you.