Wright State University IM Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dooriam

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all,

i was wondering if any one could provide any information on Wright State's IM program. What's the atmosphere like, patient load, is it a stressful place to do residency, how do residents do in attaining fellowships or good hospitalist positions, what's it like working in the airforce hospital, are the attendings friendly?

Thanks for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey y'all,

i was wondering if any one could provide any information on Wright State's IM program. What's the atmosphere like, patient load, is it a stressful place to do residency, how do residents do in attaining fellowships or good hospitalist positions, what's it like working in the airforce hospital, are the attendings friendly?

Thanks for your input!

Went to WSU (Boonshoft) for med school, graduated couple years ago.

1. Atmosphere: community program, serves several hospitals:
1) Miami Valley: major hospital in Dayton; very large hospital, pt population very diverse
2) VA in Dayton
3) Good Samaritan
4) Wright Patterson Air Force

Very friendly environment; attendings were all great to work with; evidence based medicine is actually very strong here; I'm currently at a major academic facility and EBM is stronger at WSU than it is here. At the same time, the attendings are extremely knowledgable.

Miami Valley is a busy hospital and there were high patient loads. That said, in retrospect, the residents were extremely knowledgable and quite frankly, better than residents I'm around now.

2. Fellowships: again, this is a community program, and it tends to attract a lot of foreign medical grads, who traditionally have a tough time getting fellowships, OR they attract US grads who are got their med school paid for by the USAF, and these residents may not be going into fellowships because they have Air Force committments. That said, when I was a med student, one graduate went into GI at UNC and one went into Pulm/Critical Care at Wash U in the same year; I think that's pretty good for a community program like WSU. I recently saw that WSU started a cardiology fellowship and there is also a cardiology fellowship at Kettering, a community hospital in Dayton that is not affilitated with WSU. I believe there is also a heme/onc fellowship at WSU, but I'm not sure about any other fellowships.

3. Research: not really going to find research here; I tried to do research as a med student and could not find anything to do. Might be different now...

4. Air Force hospital: lighter rotation, clearly they have a different patient population than you'd expect in a normal hospital. The attending's are great to work with.

any update on fellowship placement? Not listed on their website. Thanks!

Its mostly in house for fellowships. They tend to take their own however I don't think its a lot of spots. Sorry can't don't have any more info. Bunch of FMGs in the program also.

Reactions: 1 user