Write my own LOR ???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

optimistique

nano-size my order please
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I requested a LOR from a former boss. He suggested that I write the letter and he would edit it.

I dont know what a good LOR includes. How do you praise yourself? :eek:

Has anyone else done this? How did you go about writing the letter?

Can anyone give an example LOR. Please post or PM.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Holy crap. This is an AWESOME opportunity. You need to take FULL advantage of this.

Check the web for examples of dean's letters. Wash U. (wustl) has examples of dean's letters on their web site.

Phrases like "I recommend (fitb) in the highest possible way", or "I would welcome the opportunity to teach (fitb) myself", "This student has the highest potential compared to the hundreds of students I have taught"... YOu get the idea. If in doubt go overboard with the descriptions. Use the word "highest" as often as possible. If you did research for this prof, then say something like "(fitb) demonstrated the highest degree of skill in (whatever lab project), and has proven to be a researcher of the highest caliber."

Also, include the term "medical scientist" in there somewhere.

Go overboard, and let your prof water it down if he/she chooses to.

Ethically there is no problem here because your prof will look it over and sign it. Therefore, the burden of accuracy is on him/her. One of my buddies from college had this happen to him and we had a blast writing his letter. During a couple of his interviews the letter was even brought up as in, "Wow, so-and-so wrote you an amazing letter". This is one of those opportunities in the application process which very few people get. MAX IT OUT!

Peace, and good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
The other posters' recommendations are dead on. I also wanted to contribute the list of basic questions I ask med school hopefuls when I help them with LORs -- you can turn the answers into an outline and then a great recommendation with just a little effort:

1) Who are you asking to recommend you (name and title)? What are his/her qualifications? How is he/she qualified to evaluate you compared to other candidates?

2) How long have you worked with/known this person? In what capacity? Did he/she hire you? Was he/she your teacher? How often did you have contact? How well does he/she know you?

3) What are your top 3 positive qualities? Provide a specific example, of which the recommender is aware, that demonstrates each quality.

4) Have you received any awards or outstanding commendations of which your recommender is aware? Are you involved in any non-work or professional activities of which the recommender is aware?

5) Are there any mild criticisms that should be mentioned? (These are usually the flip-side of your strengths.) NOTE: Some people don't want to include criticisms, because these will stand out against other LORs with no criticism. I've found that, if done well, it can add a realistic touch to the letter -- use your own discretion, and only include criticisms that you know about and have demonstrated improvement in.

The answers to these questions should give you a jumping-off point to write the letter. Best of luck!

Great advice. Very insightful. Thank you all!