Writing a letter of intent.. help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eardocsavvy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello
I am applying to Audiology programs for the 2010 year. I need to write a letter of intent that will be included in many of the applications. I was wondering what elements should be included, what makes a strong one versus a weaker one, and what are some strong points that should be included.
I plan on writing this fairly soon as my GRE is coming quickly and I need to get my letters of rec. Please let me know. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
you are gonna need some time to write this letter, when i say some time i mean at least a month. you need to reflect your major accomplishments, why would the schools you are applying to choose you over someone else. also you might want to add what you plan on doing with your degree, in terms of contributing to the community, but most important it has to be genuine.

committees want to choose students they will succeed in their program, so anything you can do to show that in your letter would be good. if you've done any observation or show you know something about the field, maybe find a way to mention that. you don't have to know everything just show an interest or an initiative.
basically they just want to know you're capable of writing a good essay, you're not a total weirdo, and you're going to do well in their program. what are you going to bring to their program? always try to mention specifics about their particular program too and why you're applying to them specifically.
have friends proofread and make suggestions, especially friends in academia or friends that are good professional writers. if you still think it's a good essay a couple weeks after you wrote it, it probably is.