Writing a letter of intent to get an interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adapt

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey people,

I want to get an interview at Loma Linda and would really like to go there. I'm thinking of writing a Letter of Intent preinterview just so they can offer me an interview.

In the letter I was thinking about talking about why I like the school but also mentioning that I have been to accepted to a couple of medical schools, but would choose Loma Linda if accepted.

Do people even writed LOIs to get an interview? Also, do you think it would be wise to mention how I got accepted to other schools? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Another thread is currently looking at this topic as well..

but we can give you a bump ne way...:laugh:

Desperado, why don't you come to your senses?
You been out ridin' fences for so long now
Oh, you're a hard one
I know that you got your reasons
These things that are pleasin' you
Can hurt you somehow

Don' you draw the queen of diamonds, boy
She'll beat you if she's able
You know the queen of heats is always your best bet

Now it seems to me, some fine things
Have been laid upon your table
But you only want the ones that you can't get

Desperado, oh, you ain't gettin' no youger
Your pain and your hunger, they're drivin' you home
And freedom, oh freedom well, that's just some people talkin'
Your prison is walking through this world all alone

Don't your feet get cold in the winter time?
The sky won't snow and the sun won't shine
It's hard to tell the night time from the day
You're loosin' all your highs and lows
Ain't it funny how the feeling goes away?

Desperado, why don't you come to your senses?
Come down from your fences, open the gate
It may be rainin', but there's a rainbow above you
You better let somebody love you, before it's too late

Members don't see this ad :)
preinterview LOIs....

never heard of anyone actually doing it because if they dont pick you for an interview theres prolly a reason for it. do you know if they have even reviewed your file yet? maybe you should find out your status there before you start sending them letters.

maybe you can ask them over the phone if there is anything you can do to better your status to possibly gain an interview.

just some random ideas.

Originally posted by jlee9531
preinterview LOIs....

never heard of anyone actually doing it because if they dont pick you for an interview theres prolly a reason for it. do you know if they have even reviewed your file yet? maybe you should find out your status there before you start sending them letters.

maybe you can ask them over the phone if there is anything you can do to better your status to possibly gain an interview.

just some random ideas.
Well I've been complete since September so I'm sure they reviewed it. I don't know. I guess I'll wait a bit longer.

they better interview me before you!!! haha

maybe I should send in a LOI before slickness does. :mad:

Originally posted by mackaikai
they better interview me before you!!! haha

maybe I should send in a LOI before slickness does. :mad:
:laugh: No. It was my idea. Don't bite off my ideas.

Last year, I wrote 2 letters of interest preinterview. I was rejected preinterview from both schools. That said, I do not regret the letters. I am quite certain that I would have been rejected from the schools anyway, so why not give it a shot. Just don't sound desparate.

And don't write a letter of "intent." How can you know for sure until you meet, interview, and visit the campus.

i did the SMP program at georgetown last year; and they encouraged us to write letters to schools every few months to update our info and express interest in the schools we applied
needless to say; a couple of my classmates wrote letters to a pretty good school and scored an interview shortly after; similarly another friend of mine emailed a letter of interest and got an interview shortly after...i'll leave it up to you guys to decide if it was a coincidence or not...
in short; what harm will it do; if anything it will get you noticed
and the argument about "if they don't pick you there's prolly a reason for it" well what if you're borderline and in a pile of maybes; a student showing interest in the school will likely get bumped up into the interview pile...

I actually just sent out a bunch of letters a week or two ago to schools where I had not been invited to interview - they were mostly just to update my application though. Like to tell them about which classes i am taking, my volunteer stuff, and the progress of my reserach project. Then at the very end I just wrote a SHORT paragraphy saying that I am still interested in the school. I dont know if it was the cause, but I did receive invites from case and the cleveland clinic program about 10 days after I sent them a letter!

so overall, i dont think it hurts to send letters pre-interview, but just make sure that you have substantial stuff to update them about your application, rather than just sending a letter begging for an interview.

good luck

i think the admissions people at Case are really responsive to that sort of stuff. but if you really want to go to a school, maybe you could write a letter saying, basically, what a great applicant you are and what you like about the school especially.

it's been known to help, and, as someone else already said, it gets you noticed (which is a good thing). so i'd say to go for it.

and XCanadianRagwee.................i can't believe you know all the words to 'desperado'. wow.