Writing a letter of Intent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wheels@Pitt

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone out there know what the benefits of writing a letter of intent are to a school that you are waitlisted at??? And what should you included in the letter??

Members don't see this ad.

A letter of intent can be beneficial because it can:

1) help restate your sincere interest in the school
2) Remind the admin folks who the heck you are...they probably don't remember YOU from the other 100 students on the waitlist. So this letter can help bring your file back to mind.

In the letter you can include:
1) Your interview date
2) Who your interviewer was
3) What you liked about the school
4) What things stand out about the school (maybe they have a great student run community program, or they have a super duper tutoring/mentoring program, or they have a homey feel).
5) Why again you are a great candidate (this is not the time to bring up scores or whatever....talk about deeper stuff).
6) Thank them for their time and for giving you the opportunity to tour their campus (and how that tour helped reaffirm your interest in the school)
7) Give your number/email address incase they want to contact you for any additioanl info
8) End and with your name and signature and place ur social security # there also for easy file access.

If you go to the top of your screen, there is a search function that should give you tons of info on this subject.

Members don't see this ad :)
manicmaven---i have a question...i tried to do a search on letters of intent but i really don't see how the threads are narrowed down...or even altered for that matter. do you just type "letter intent" in the box...b/c when i did that it gave me everthing from before just with red highlights...? if you have any advice how to navigate better that would be great!!! thanks!!!

Originally posted by nygirl6464
manicmaven---i have a question...i tried to do a search on letters of intent but i really don't see how the threads are narrowed down...or even altered for that matter. do you just type "letter intent" in the box...b/c when i did that it gave me everthing from before just with red highlights...? if you have any advice how to navigate better that would be great!!! thanks!!!

You might want to type it in quotes or something. Also search only the pre-allo thread. You can also just search for thread topics if that helps to narrow it down.