Writing about a DO shadowing experience in AMCAS personal statement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sean Lee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to completely re-write my personal statement after receiving some very helpful and constructive feedbacks. For part of the essay, I want to write about my experiences shadowing a DO physician who specializes in OMT. Would MD schools look down on this?

Members don't see this ad.

I dunno, but I don't think so. I would probably go a little out of my way to avoid using the words DO or OMT though. Just say "doctor" and "physician."

Why would you write about DO in a PS to MD programs? If I read that I would instantly discard your application, if DO was the most meaningful experience to you, why aren't you pursuing DO? Also what would make me believe that you would want to come to my MD program over another DO program when you wrote specifically about DO in your essay?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I dunno, but I don't think so. I would probably go a little out of my way to avoid using the words DO or OMT though. Just say "doctor" and "physician."

We meet again jonnythan! Sorry for being overly aggressive in that previous thread...

Do you think it would be alright to include shadowing the DO in my MD work/activities section?

I will not write about it in my PS.

We meet again jonnythan! Sorry for being overly aggressive in that previous thread...

Do you think it would be alright to include shadowing the DO in my MD work/activities section?

I will not write about it in my PS.

Yes, absolutely. I did. Ignore that other poster.

This kind of shows the stigma towards DO where someone wanting to become a practicing physician is scared to mention it.

Reactions: 1 user
This kind of shows the stigma towards DO where someone wanting to become a practicing physician is scared to mention it.
How is this at all a stigma? He said he wanted to talk specifically about OMT, a DO specific treatment method, unless he is writing about how he doesn't like OMT/DO and wants MD (which would be even more stupid), why talk about how great a different career path is when trying to apply to MD programs? Do you apply to Bank of America saying how much you like Chase bank and something they do that is specifically different than at BoA? No, and the same principle applies here. At least tailor your PS towards the career you are applying for. If you want to mention physician shadowing with a DO in your activities fine, but that is completely different than what OP stated.

Be general with your term when you write your statement. OMT and DO is a no-no, imo. Why not use "holistic approach to care" instead?

How is this at all a stigma? He said he wanted to talk specifically about OMT, a DO specific treatment method, unless he is writing about how he doesn't like OMT/DO and wants MD (which would be even more stupid), why talk about how great a different career path is when trying to apply to MD programs? Do you apply to Bank of America saying how much you like Chase bank and something they do that is specifically different than at BoA? No, and the same principle applies here. At least tailor your PS towards the career you are applying for. If you want to mention physician shadowing with a DO in your activities fine, but that is completely different than what OP stated.

Without pretending to read OP's mind, I don't see anywhere that he said it was the OMT he wanted to write about, just that he wanted to write about shadowing a DO who specialized in it. For all we know, OP wanted to write about observing patient care and the difference a physician can make for patients - which, IMO, is perfect for a personal statement. If he wants to write about OMT, I'd agree it's not appropriate for an MD personal statement, but just writing generally about observations regarding patient care, interactions, etc from shadowing should be fine, particularly if this is the physician that OP has spent the most time shadowing.

I am going to completely re-write my personal statement after receiving some very helpful and constructive feedbacks. For part of the essay, I want to write about my experiences shadowing a DO physician who specializes in OMT. Would MD schools look down on this?

Without pretending to read OP's mind, I don't see anywhere that he said it was the OMT he wanted to write about, just that he wanted to write about shadowing a DO who specialized in it. For all we know, OP wanted to write about observing patient care and the difference a physician can make for patients - which, IMO, is perfect for a personal statement. If he wants to write about OMT, I'd agree it's not appropriate for an MD personal statement, but just writing generally about observations regarding patient care, interactions, etc from shadowing should be fine, particularly if this is the physician that OP has spent the most time shadowing.
Unless he was mentioning specializing in OMT for no reason at all, I would assume it has something to do with OMT. Even if he didn't write about OMT specifically, I think it would be much safer to simply say physician or doctor so that it wouldn't even bring up the idea of whether he/she prefers the DO or MD route.

Put doctor instead of DO. Being vague is in your favor. Also, no talking about the doc rearranging their musculoskeletal system :p.

Thanks for all the responses!

I have decided to not talk about my DO shadowing experience in my AMCAS personal statement. I'll briefly mention it on my activities section.

For my AACOMAS personal statement, I am going balls-out on OMT.