Writing about Experiences and Achievements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlueSlurpee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody! So I got a quick question about entering experiences and achievements. When writing about the experience how detailed did you about it? Did you simply list your responsibilities? Any advise on writing in this section would be appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm being quite brief in mine. Secondaries and such will allow you to be more specific. I too would like to know other peoples opinions on this matter however.

I'd like some more opinion on this as well, thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Should these descriptions be taken with the same intensity as a PS? Should we aim to use all 600 characters?

Hey everybody! So I got a quick question about entering experiences and achievements. When writing about the experience how detailed did you about it? Did you simply list your responsibilities? Any advise on writing in this section would be appreciated. Thanks.

Should these descriptions be taken with the same intensity as a PS? Should we aim to use all 600 characters?

I actually haven't started filling out my application yet, but I have pre-written stuff for each of my volunteer experiences/achievements.

You're saying there is a 600 character limit? If that's the case, I'm going to have to trim all of mine way down...as they are about 800-1000 characters each now. So, I guess to answer the first question, I was pretty detailed.

On a related note, what do you put for organizations you are just a member of, but don't really do anything. For example, I'm a member of several professional organizations, but all that entails is that I get a newsletter each month, etc. Do you list memberships like this under a different section, or are they even worth mentioning since there is no community involvement or activities involved with them?

It's difficult to fit this all into 600 characters, but I included a brief, technical description of the experience (e.g., what I did, what my responsibilities were, how many people I trained/how I trained them) as well as a short description of what I learned or what the experience meant to me in my decision to become a physician. I know this is something that can be covered in secondaries, but I feel like you can't count on secondary prompts to ask the right questions to allow you to expand on your experiences and how meaningful they are.

It's difficult to fit this all into 600 characters, but I included a brief, technical description of the experience (e.g., what I did, what my responsibilities were, how many people I trained/how I trained them) as well as a short description of what I learned or what the experience meant to me in my decision to become a physician. I know this is something that can be covered in secondaries, but I feel like you can't count on secondary prompts to ask the right questions to allow you to expand on your experiences and how meaningful they are.
from what ive seen most secondaries ususally dont ask you about your experiences/their meaningfulness

I only described all of this in a few short sentences. Basically, what I did and my responsibilities. It isn't necessary to go into complete detail. That's what interviews are for.

Schools usually screen by your GPA and MCAT first. Your personal statement is also somewhat important. With EC's, they just want to know what you've done outside of your classroom. It is similar to writing your own CV or resume on your application.