Writing about patient details

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pyzhou

Pokemon Master
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone:

Just wondering if I write about a patient's symptoms (to use as a emphasis for the "most meaning" section of the work/activity), is that a breach of the confidentiality agreement?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone:

Just wondering if I write about a patient's symptoms (to use as a emphasis for the "most meaning" section of the work/activity), is that a breach of the confidentiality agreement?

As long as you don't explicitly identify the patient in question or provide details that could be specifically linked to the patient, it should be okay (i.e. "Mr. Ronald Weasley had syphilis" would not be appropriate).

I think the HIPAA course I had to take for volunteer training technically said that you shouldn't discuss anything about a patient outside of the examination room, but if the symptoms are that important, I don't think it's a big deal. Why exactly do you need to include the patient's symptoms?

like Whatyousay said, I'm not identifying anybody, but yes thank you I will try to phrase it in a more general manner.

Re: I wanted to include a couple of the symptoms (in wheelchair, has speech problems, etc) to demonstrate the severity of deteroriation a patient I had interacted with in a research position. This is because I'm including it in my "most meaningful experiences section", and wanted to emphasize that point because it really was the most memorable thing from the position.

Members don't see this ad :)
like Whatyousay said, I'm not identifying anybody, but yes thank you I will try to phrase it in a more general manner.

Re: I wanted to include a couple of the symptoms (in wheelchair, has speech problems, etc) to demonstrate the severity of deteroriation a patient I had interacted with in a research position. This is because I'm including it in my "most meaningful experiences section", and wanted to emphasize that point because it really was the most memorable thing from the position.

In that case, as long you're extremely general with the details about the patient (like you said), you should be fine.

Okay, thanks =D

by the way:
NYANYANNYANYANYNAYNAYNAYNAYHNAYHANYHAN