Writing an Update/LOI Interest Letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chickenlittle84

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am working on writing an update letter for a school I have not yet heard from, and I was hoping to get some insight into how these letters are typically written. So far, I am writing mine like a very warm cover letter...

Paragraph 1 thanks them for their interest in my application and states that I would love to come interview

Paragraph 2 explains how my undergraduate academic background makes me a great fit (somewhat unique background)

Paragraph 3 is about a specific update/accomplishment that I mentioned very briefly in my AMCAS. I didn't have room to expand, and it has gone a bit further than it was at the time of application.

Paragraph 4 my activities for the year

Paragraph 5 I am perfect for your school, please interview me. Thank you.

It will be about 1 page single spaced, 10 font...which is fine for a cover letter, but is it too wrong for an update letter? I would really appreciate any help/ideas that anyone has! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like a good plan.

Yes, it sounds like a good plan, apart from the 10 fond part...it's a little bit small, try a 12. Also, you have managed to display well the usual cover letter, but for a letter of inquiry there are other things to take into account as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am working on writing an update letter for a school I have not yet heard from, and I was hoping to get some insight into how these letters are typically written. So far, I am writing mine like a very warm cover letter...

Paragraph 1 thanks them for their interest in my application and states that I would love to come interview

Paragraph 2 explains how my undergraduate academic background makes me a great fit (somewhat unique background)

Paragraph 3 is about a specific update/accomplishment that I mentioned very briefly in my AMCAS. I didn't have room to expand, and it has gone a bit further than it was at the time of application.

Paragraph 4 my activities for the year

Paragraph 5 I am perfect for your school, please interview me. Thank you.

It will be about 1 page single spaced, 10 font...which is fine for a cover letter, but is it too wrong for an update letter? I would really appreciate any help/ideas that anyone has! Thanks!

Sounds perfect - thats pretty much exactly how I wrote mine. But yeah - older adcomms will love you more if you do size 12 font instead of size 10. Even if it spills over to two pages. Also, do it like a formal business letter with the addresses and dates at the top.

You can never go wrong showing sincere interest in a program. I have to say it is somewhat of a balancing act. On the one hand you don't want to pester the admissions dept. every day with calls, updates, etc; However, you've got to be somewhat of a squeaky wheel and be proactive about your candidacy. A formal business letter written in your format will definitely help you out at least on some level. Good luck:thumbup:

Say we were to write an update/letter of interest at the beginning of next semester. Would it look bad to talk about your activities/interest in the school but not include last semester's grades? All this interviewing has really been keeping me from doing as well as I would have liked.

So I've written a letter of interest to a school that I'm in love with but have been place on a pre-interview hold. This letter is 3.5 pages single-spaced- and this is text only without the dear so and so or address or anything. Is this too long? what's the ideal length of a pre-interview letter of interest. I just want to make sure the adcoms read it all, but I really do have a LOT of reasons why I love this school.

So I've written a letter of interest to a school that I'm in love with but have been place on a pre-interview hold. This letter is 3.5 pages single-spaced- and this is text only without the dear so and so or address or anything. Is this too long? what's the ideal length of a pre-interview letter of interest. I just want to make sure the adcoms read it all, but I really do have a LOT of reasons why I love this school.
Holy mary mother of GOD weapons of mass destruction. I would recommend cutting that thing down to a page.

Way too long. I wrote a detailed letter of intent post-interview and it was less than two pages single spaced with 12 point font and all the address information, and this was to a school i'd interviewed at, and know more intimately, and have actual interactions to discuss.

Does LOI really help? If they are not interested in you, does it matter how much you are interested in them? Correct me if I'm wrong, I think the AMCAS and secondary essays should provide you w/ plenty of opportunity to explain yourself, no? I'm afraid it may have a negative effect when you throw a lot of stuff at them considering they receive over 4000 apps every year.

Has LOI worked for anyone before? Please share. Thx

Does LOI really help? If they are not interested in you, does it matter how much you are interested in them? Correct me if I'm wrong, I think the AMCAS and secondary essays should provide you w/ plenty of opportunity to explain yourself, no? I'm afraid it may have a negative effect when you throw a lot of stuff at them considering they receive over 4000 apps every year.

Has LOI worked for anyone before? Please share. Thx

Right here. Check my mdapps for details.

I was directly told by the dean of admissions that it was my persistance (AKA my 3 LOIs) that made them accept me.

LOIs help.