Writing Letter of Intent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

barryggg

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm in the process of trying to write letters of intent but having issues writing the opening line or paragraph without jumping right in and talking about my clinical and research interests . Any help on how I can start the letter naturally, and professionally, would be really appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

As an applicant myself, take this with a grain of salt. I was told the beginning paragraph (or couple of sentences) should be attention grabbing, relevant, yet not so in your face or dramatic that it's unprofessional. A common one people use is an experience that directed them towards psychology. A professor would be much more adept at answering this, but that's what I was told.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Would someone here be willing to give me feedback on my letter of intent?

Members don't see this ad :)
Same here, I'm done with mine but I'm willing to help and interested in how others did theirs.

First year student here (applicant last year). Process wise, I found it helpful to write some of the other pieces and THEN go back and write the intro. It was helpful for me to reflect back on some of the experiences I had and then use that to draft a targeted introduction.

I appreciate all offers but it be great if one of the confirmed Psychologists here took a look..especially people who actually read these things and make decisions on such things.

I'd really appreciate it.

I appreciate all offers but it be great if one of the confirmed Psychologists here took a look..especially people who actually read these things and make decisions on such things.

I'd really appreciate it.

No worries, best of luck to you!