Writing LOR for Myself - How to not mess this Up

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted936268

Hello all,

I've been given the opportunity by my busy PI to write my own LOR for a prestigious research scholarship and want to know what I should do to not mess this one up. I've already been taking a look at the AMCAS guide, and replacing the why im good for med part with research. Other than that, any good tips / guides / examples you'd recommend?

Members don't see this ad.

I was asked to write my own LOR. I am terrified.

This is actually a great opportunity for you. Google "excellent medical school recommendation letters" and base if off that. Highlight personal accomplishments that make it seem that the PI really knows you well; avoid platitudes and generic statements. In short, make it seem like this is a person that has really worked closely with you and can vouch for you with a generalized overview of your positive traits as well as specific examples of why you're so great. And try to make it at least a page long.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Wonderchild...uhhh...maybe you should have a conversation with your PI and explain that you cannot write your own letter of recommendation? Why do you think this is some great opportunity for you to hype yourself up? I get it, we're all busy in academia/medicine and I know this happens more than it ever should. But if you've been a serious contributing member of the team for at least a year, your PI is a total schmuck if they can't write you a simple LOR.

I guess this is a great opportunity for you to speak up for yourself and your worth to their research. You should be asking for advice on how to approach someone who's a difficult letter writer, not how to sculpt a perfect letter for yourself. Seriously ask them to write you a letter of rec again and specifically say that you aren't comfortable writing your own letter (it's okay to lie on this part). If they still tell you to write your own, politely thank them for their time and go find somebody else.

Why would you try to put the burden back on a PI who has made clear that she is swamped and given you an opportunity? Start strong: “Wonder Child has been an outstanding addition to [X lab]—one of the best I have seen in my 20 years.” Explain how she knows you and make clear that she knows you well. Then pick three or four examples that demonstrate excellence in the lab and translate to medical school—e.g., You designed an innovative research project and, despite a few early setbacks, dutifully saw it through to the end—with impressive results. Early on, you showed a strong drive and worked tirelessly to acquire the necessary bench skills. Explain with examples. As you progressed in the lab, you brought other students your wing, taught them the skills you had previously mastered, and were eager to help them succeed. Explain with examples. In weekly meetings, you demonstrated a mastery of the material, were able to break down complex concepts into palatable bites, and clearly convey them to others in the group. Explain with examples. You drafted and revised the results of your research into a fine article that was accepted for publication, working independently but also listening carefully and taking direction where warranted. Explain with examples. Finally, conclude with a short paragraph that reiterates that you were an outstanding member of the lab who has the skills, drive and traits necessary to be a lifelong learner, an excellent medical student and doctor. In addition to providing the PI with a draft letter, provide her with a copy of any materials you think are relevant should she wish to modify it (e.g., your CV, PS, etc.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I've been given the opportunity by my busy PI to write my own LOR for a prestigious research scholarship and want to know what I should do to not mess this one up. I've already been taking a look at the AMCAS guide, and replacing the why im good for med part with research. Other than that, any good tips / guides / examples you'd recommend?
Many PI letters include their personal stats to help give their letter weight, eg, "In my 15 years at [current institution], [insert past educational achievements, jobs, and number of published papers here], I have mentored 210 undergrad research assistants. Of those 40% have entered MD or MD/PhD programs. I feel I am well able to comment on the research capabilities of XXX, who functions on a level similar to my 2nd and 3rd year PhD students.

[insert details of student's glorious accomplishments]"

In the last paragraph: "Overall, XXX ranks in the top 5% of all undergrad students I've worked with. I highly recommend he/she be given your strongest consideration for [name of prestigious research program]."

Reactions: 1 users
Wonderchild...uhhh...maybe you should have a conversation with your PI and explain that you cannot write your own letter of recommendation? Why do you think this is some great opportunity for you to hype yourself up? I get it, we're all busy in academia/medicine and I know this happens more than it ever should. But if you've been a serious contributing member of the team for at least a year, your PI is a total schmuck if they can't write you a simple LOR.

I guess this is a great opportunity for you to speak up for yourself and your worth to their research. You should be asking for advice on how to approach someone who's a difficult letter writer, not how to sculpt a perfect letter for yourself. Seriously ask them to write you a letter of rec again and specifically say that you aren't comfortable writing your own letter (it's okay to lie on this part). If they still tell you to write your own, politely thank them for their time and go find somebody else.

Yea mainly, PI is swamped and I've a lot of time. But also mainly, I don't see why I would let them write a letter that they may not put as much effort as they could if they are so budy if I know what I can do would totally be the best LOR ever and is in my control

I really have to say this is terrible advice. I think you're underestimating how common it is for PI's or supervisors to have the applicant write their own letter and then give it their final approval/signature.

Reactions: 2 users
I really have to say this is terrible advice. I think you're underestimating how common it is for PI's or supervisors to have the applicant write their own letter and then give it their final approval/signature.

Yup exactly, he just wants a draft from me and he would add stuff about his expertise and edit it up so that he likes it