Quantcast

Writing LOR yourself...twice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

McLicky

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Has anyone had to write 2 LORs for themselves? I have 2 advisors that both, supposedly, don't have time to write a LOR from scratch. Honestly, I'm a little freaked about this? Has anyone done this and, if so, was it difficult to write in two different writing styles?

2008orbust

OLDER THAN YOU!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
FOR REAL?????? I would be totally freaked out too!!! Well, at least you know what is on it and that there are no backhanded compliments in there.

GOOD LUCK!!!

JimT30

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any advice on how to write hem? I was asked to write one for myself too.

OncoCaP

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had to write 2 LORs for themselves? I have 2 advisors that both, supposedly, don't have time to write a LOR from scratch. Honestly, I'm a little freaked about this? Has anyone done this and, if so, was it difficult to write in two different writing styles?

A sure sign that you picked 2 wrong people to write your LOR. I would pick 2 others while I could. I'm assuming here that you gave your advisors a copy of your CV and transcripts so that they have something to go off had they been willing to write the LORs by themselves.

B

boo-yeh

I like the idea of having your parent/friend/other relative writing the second one.

MassTransport

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've definitely heard of this phenomenon through the grapevine. The director of my pre-health office was "appalled" when I asked her. Personally, I have to agree with OncoCaP; I'm of the opinion that if your professor knows you well enough, then he or she would be willing to make time to write a letter. If anything, I'd be upset at the professor for putting you in this awkward situation. But, if there is no other way...

DrVanNostran

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem, I just shadowed another physician and asked her to write a LOR for me. Writing your own LOR is too hard of a task and risky imo.

soulspokn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My research professor asked me to do the same thing. I got freaked out about it and asked him more questions and etc. He then said, that it's just a draft to make sure that he has all my bases covered that I wanted him to mention. That way, he doesn't leave out important bits of info that I wanted him to have. When he told me that, I was a lot more comfortable, and was able to put something very scratchy, but included everything about me. Ask if this is what you're writing this for.

McLicky

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My research professor asked me to do the same thing. I got freaked out about it and asked him more questions and etc. He then said, that it's just a draft to make sure that he has all my bases covered that I wanted him to mention. That way, he doesn't leave out important bits of info that I wanted him to have. When he told me that, I was a lot more comfortable, and was able to put something very scratchy, but included everything about me. Ask if this is what you're writing this for.

Both of my research advisors said they would go through and "personalize" or "edit" it. My research advisor is truly a busy man though (chief of his specialty and executive committee member of the MSTP program) ...*shrug*

Tropicana100

Pure Juice
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

You should be happy! This is an excellent opportunity for you to list what you feel you accomplished most. I asked my PI to write an LOR for a job application once and he told me to write it myself, since it's a excellent exercise. He late wrote my med school LOR and probably used some information in that previous LOR that I wrote. I think that your advisors recognize that writing your own LOR is difficult but it accomplishes the following:
1) make you reflect on your accomplishments and practice using medical/scientific jargon
2) save them a lot of time, by providing them will plentiful ideas with which to talk about you

Trust me, this will me a great learning experience for you. They will NOT use your writing verbatim. They will fix up your writing and make it their own.

greg1184

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've definitely heard of this phenomenon through the grapevine. The director of my pre-health office was "appalled" when I asked her. Personally, I have to agree with OncoCaP; I'm of the opinion that if your professor knows you well enough, then he or she would be willing to make time to write a letter. If anything, I'd be upset at the professor for putting you in this awkward situation. But, if there is no other way...

Not really, most professors that ask you to write a letter for them edit and/or rewrite it. I did this for one of my professors, and he completely rewrote it into the best, strongest LOR that I have.