Writing Medical Textbooks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedStudent219

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I really have a passion for writing and teaching and was interested in the process of writing medical textbooks. I've heard of some textbooks which have had contributions from medical students and was wondering if anyone knew how to get involved. Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I really have a passion for writing and teaching and was interested in the process of writing medical textbooks. I've heard of some textbooks which have had contributions from medical students and was wondering if anyone knew how to get involved. Thanks! :)
You could try cold contacting a chapter author or editor but frankly a med student isn’t qualified

You could try cold contacting a chapter author or editor but frankly a med student isn’t qualified
I would say that varies based on your background. If you have a master's or a PhD in a field, you might have enough knowledge to help write a portion of a medical text. However, if you are just finishing undergrad and starting medical school, I would start smaller like a literature review on a topic. Even those might be a little over your head this early in your education.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would say that varies based on your background. If you have a master's or a PhD in a field, you might have enough knowledge to help write a portion of a medical text. However, if you are just finishing undergrad and starting medical school, I would start smaller like a literature review on a topic. Even those might be a little over your head this early in your education.
I should have clarified that I meant 95% of med students

Reactions: 4 users
I got a finsky says any/every med student contributor was such as a result of being in the lab of, doing research with, and getting invited by, a faculty member that was doing the actual contribution and they're getting some author credit as the hookup for proofreading that faculty member's work, getting the references together, and other scut. Likely MSTP's, or star students ad Top XX schools (where the publisher wants High Value Names, justifying higher prices. Think Elsevier). Can't be just some schmoe off the street. Cold calling is likely not gonna get you anywhere.

I should have clarified that I meant 95% of med students

Everything sounds cool as a med student but I’d like to just sit here and admit that I’m a completely worthless leech and contribute (thanks so much English police below me I couldn’t post on forums wo u) nothing

Last edited:
Everything sounds cool as a med student but I’d like to just sit here and admit that I’m a completely worthless leech and atritube nothing

It's contribute. You contribute nothing. And your word is spelled "attribute".

Just.... I mean, really. You should feel bad.

I got a finsky says any/every med student contributor was such as a result of being in the lab of, doing research with, and getting invited by, a faculty member that was doing the actual contribution and they're getting some author credit as the hookup for proofreading that faculty member's work, getting the references together, and other scut. Likely MSTP's, or star students ad Top XX schools (where the publisher wants High Value Names, justifying higher prices. Think Elsevier). Can't be just some schmoe off the street. Cold calling is likely not gonna get you anywhere.

Can't be any geek off the street.

Gotta be handy with the steel if you know what I mean, earn ya keep.

By steel I clearly mean a steel pen that is capable of writing oodles and oodles of regurgitated information.

Anyways, on topic, the only way you have a chance is to have a personal interaction or connection to somebody who is already an author on a book chapter. If you see somebody who is at your institution ask them about potentially ghost writing their update to the chapter.

Reactions: 1 user
It's contribute. You contribute nothing. And your word is spelled "attribute".

Just.... I mean, really. You should feel bad.
Lol sorry I was typing while doing other things. I’ll quit medschool now -eyeroll

Can't be any geek off the street.

Gotta be handy with the steel if you know what I mean, earn ya keep.

Thought you was dead, bro.

Edit: just found that it's your buddy who should be dead.

Lol sorry I was typing while doing other things. I’ll quit medschool now -eyeroll

Couldn't even do the rolleyes right :rolleyes:

Sheesh. Somebody help this one to the car.

Couldn't even do the rolleyes right :rolleyes:

Sheesh. Somebody help this one to the car.
I know I’m proving my point med students can’t do anything right. I mean write. Or is it Wright.