Writing my own LOR? Need help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medDaisuki

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i am a junior and I am planning to apply next summer. Last week I asked my lab PI to write me a LOR. I have been working in his lab for one year and he knows me personally. However, he told me he was really busy and asked me to write a draft for him. He told me he would look over it and and some staff. But I have no idea how to write a letter for myself. I know it is common.
It is just so weird to compliment myself in a letter. And I don't know what to write about. In fact I don't have my own project to do so how can I talk about my critical thinking??? I mainly help my mentor with her project and most of the time I do experiments like western blot, DNA, RNA extraction, PCR etc. She added my name on her publication recently.

Anyone has any ideas about how to write a research LOR? Or does anyone have an example of a research LOR? And response would be appreciated!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

So i am a junior and I am planning to apply next summer. Last week I asked my lab PI to write me a LOR. I have been working in his lab for one year and he knows me personally. However, he told me he was really busy and asked me to write a draft for him. He told me he would look over it and and some staff. But I have no idea how to write a letter for myself. I know it is common.
It is just so weird to compliment myself in a letter. And I don't know what to write about. In fact I don't have my own project to do so how can I talk about my critical thinking??? I mainly help my mentor with her project and most of the time I do experiments like western blot, DNA, RNA extraction, PCR etc. She added my name on her publication recently.

Anyone has any ideas about how to write a research LOR? Or does anyone have an example of a research LOR? And response would be appreciated!!!!

Maybe ask your mentor to write it then have the PI sign it?

It is super common. I would start by searching for med school LORs online and getting a feel of things. Most importantly you want to draft out the important points you want your PI to talk about in the LOR. It is kind of like sketching up the big structure for them. The other fluff, they can talk about.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is super common. I would start by searching for med school LORs online and getting a feel of things. Most importantly you want to draft out the important points you want your PI to talk about in the LOR. It is kind of like sketching up the big structure for them. The other fluff, they can talk about.

Thanks!

Best thing to do when “drafting” you own LOR is to compare you to other students. Make it clear you are “among to top 5” students your PI has worked with (choose whatever number you feel comfortable with)

Also give concrete examples of what you did in the lab.

Reactions: 1 user
Best thing to do when “drafting” you own LOR is to compare you to other students. Make it clear you are “among to top 5” students your PI has worked with (choose whatever number you feel comfortable with)

Also give concrete examples of what you did in the lab.

I don't know if he thinks I'm among the top 5 students lol.I will have to show him the draft later. I just feel uncomfortable writing complement for myself.