Writing NBDE Part 1 in March or April 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Truth seeker

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Final days of preparation . Anybody who has scheduled to take the exam in a few weeks from now by end of March or April, please come together and discuss questions and clear as many doubts as possible . This thread is to motivate and share experience and elaborate on those aspects of part 1 that are tricky .

A request to people who are looking for study partners , kindly do not post in this thread, else this thread will again end up there .

Members don't see this ad.

Mycobacterium tuberculosis is the answer here.

HIV Causes a depletion in CD4 T-cells. These cells are the key to all acquired cellular immune responses. Myco Tub. is a bacterial infection that requires a granulomatous rxn by our immune system, which is centered around the cytokines produced by CD4 T-cells and morphing macrophages into giant-multinucleated cells and epitheloid cell and lining the rim of the granuloma with T-cells. This is the only way myco tub. can be contained within our respiratory tract

HEY GUYS...
i have my exam is less than 3 weeks i am really stressed out...i am doing asda papers and scoring in low 80s !!:( i really dont know what to do...should i extend my exam date or just go for it.! ur suggestions gonna be helpful...

In an ideal intercuspal relation the lingual cusp of max 2nd premolar cntacts the
-distal fossa of mand 2nd premolar (ans given )
-mesial marginal ridge of mand 1st molar
-distal marginal ridge of mand 2nd molar
-distal marginal ridge of mand 1st premolar

Please help me clarify this.
Acc to book, lingual cusp of Max 2nd pm contacts DMR of Mand 2nd pm and MMR of mand 1st molar , i dunno how to go ahead with this !

hey.
u r getting confused, the facial cusp of mxillary second premolar lies in the embrasure between the DMR of Mand 2nd pm and MMR of mand 1st molar .
the lingual cusp of max 2nd premolar does lie in the distal fossa of mand 2nd premolar.
hope this helps.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
My exam is in 10days..Right now i am doing asda papers and scoring in b/w 65 to 75.this is my second attempt..Should i take the exam?or i ve to postponed it? any suggestions?
thanks ..

The answer is ketone bodies. Insulin insufficiency can be due to two possibilities...Diabetes mellitus or starved state of the body. During either of these fat stored and TAG is the only sufficient source of energy past a single day, with the idea in mind that protein catabolism will just lead to death. Fatty acid lipolysis and eventual beta oxidation pass through acetyl Coa and eventually fatty pathway to ketone bodies (in liver). Krebs is not an option with insulin insuff. due do the fact that OAA which is needed for acetyl CoA to entry krebs will be depleted through gluconeogenisis. this depletion of OAA will take precedence over Krebs cycle due to the bodies drive for brain nutrition first and foremost. promoters (insulin promoting Act CoA to Malonyl CoA) and Inhibitors on pathways only apply in functional and nutritional sufficiency at all levels.
Thank you so much.

Mycobacterium tuberculosis is the answer here.

HIV Causes a depletion in CD4 T-cells. These cells are the key to all acquired cellular immune responses. Myco Tub. is a bacterial infection that requires a granulomatous rxn by our immune system, which is centered around the cytokines produced by CD4 T-cells and morphing macrophages into giant-multinucleated cells and epitheloid cell and lining the rim of the granuloma with T-cells. This is the only way myco tub. can be contained within our respiratory tract

Well explained buddy , thanks a ton .pls keep helping

hey.
u r getting confused, the facial cusp of mxillary second premolar lies in the embrasure between the DMR of Mand 2nd pm and MMR of mand 1st molar .
the lingual cusp of max 2nd premolar does lie in the distal fossa of mand 2nd premolar.
hope this helps.

Hey anniestar, i wud like to clarify this , pls do help me out and let me know if am wrong....
the lingual cusp(holding) of max posteriors occlude with DMR of counterpart in Mand arch and MMR of tooth distal to it exceptions are ML cusps of molars.

so how does this apply to Max 2nd pm ?
i quoted from kaplan and from which source are you quoting ?

Hey pretty india, I just took the exam on last wed. If you are still scoring low on old exams, I suggest postponing for a couple more weeks. I think once you have gone through the dental decks and your class notes, do as many exams as possible. they will really help you with the exam. I also used 'Crack the NBDE' software which are mock exams on the computer. That was really helpful in simulating exam day atmosphere and the questions were helpful also. Just keep going over them as many times possible, and you don't have to take it as if you are doing the exam each time.Just go over the questions and figure out why the answer is correct or wrong. Good Luck!:thumbup::D

thank you canine crusader..
i'm going to do crack the nbde?let me see how much i'm scoring in crack?
once again thank you so much..
i ve one more question how can i buy Crack the nbde software?
Gudluck for your result..
God bless you..

Hey anniestar, i wud like to clarify this , pls do help me out and let me know if am wrong....
the lingual cusp(holding) of max posteriors occlude with DMR of counterpart in Mand arch and MMR of tooth distal to it exceptions are ML cusps of molars.

so how does this apply to Max 2nd pm ?
i quoted from kaplan and from which source are you quoting ?

hey,
i will try to explain.you try to picturize the whole thing.the working cusps whether maxillary or mandibular occlude with central fossa and marginal ridges and the non working cusps of both arches lie in grooves and embrasures,this is the cardinal rule.whenever you have a que determine if it is working cusp they r asking u need to think about fossa and ridge,if non working u need to think of embrasure and grooves.
once u have established this now think that maxillary teeth occlude with their countrpart and the tooth distal to it so 1st maxillary molar working cusps are mesiolingual and distolingual so now the mesolingual cusp will lie in central fossa of mandibular first molar and distolingual cusp will occlude with DMR of 1st mandibular molar and MMR of 2nd mandibular molar.
now the mandibular arch they occlude with counterpart and tooth mesial to it so working cusps of manidbular 1st molar are mesiobuccal and distobuccal so distobuccal will lie in central fossa and mesiobuccal will occlude with MMR of counterpart and DMR of tooth mesial to it.
now in case of premolar maxillary first premolar working cusp is lingual since it is only one cusp it lies in distal fossa of counterpart.
i hope i could make u understand a bit.

hey,
i will try to explain.you try to picturize the whole thing.the working cusps whether maxillary or mandibular occlude with central fossa and marginal ridges and the non working cusps of both arches lie in grooves and embrasures,this is the cardinal rule.whenever you have a que determine if it is working cusp they r asking u need to think about fossa and ridge,if non working u need to think of embrasure and grooves.
once u have established this now think that maxillary teeth occlude with their countrpart and the tooth distal to it so 1st maxillary molar working cusps are mesiolingual and distolingual so now the mesolingual cusp will lie in central fossa of mandibular first molar and distolingual cusp will occlude with DMR of 1st mandibular molar and MMR of 2nd mandibular molar.
now the mandibular arch they occlude with counterpart and tooth mesial to it so working cusps of manidbular 1st molar are mesiobuccal and distobuccal so distobuccal will lie in central fossa and mesiobuccal will occlude with MMR of counterpart and DMR of tooth mesial to it.
now in case of premolar maxillary first premolar working cusp is lingual since it is only one cusp it lies in distal fossa of counterpart.
i hope i could make u understand a bit.

Thanks a ton
so the key is correct , am relieved .

when viewed from saggital plane and progressing anteriorly the axial inclination of anterior teeth : inclines lingually !! :confused::confused:can anyone explain this:confused::confused:

when viewed from saggital plane and progressing anteriorly the axial inclination of anterior teeth : inclines lingually !! :confused::confused:can anyone explain this:confused::confused:

this is a ques of decks testlets.. i later checked their website...in corrections it is mentioned that the answer should be incline facially.

Members don't see this ad :)
Q.Administration of tetanus toxoid provides what type of immunity?
-innate
-natural active
-natural passive
-artificially active
-artificially passive

Asda gives two answers ,which one is correct and pls quote the source and explain .

Q.Administration of tetanus toxoid provides what type of immunity?
-innate
-natural active
-natural passive
-artificially active
-artificially passive

Asda gives two answers ,which one is correct and pls quote the source and explain .

natural passive - maternal.
natural active - person gets infected and Ab are formed in response.
artificial active - like most vaccines inactivated organisms or toxoids.
artificial passive - administration of antibodies directly into person.

natural passive - maternal.
natural active - person gets infected and Ab are formed in response.
artificial active - like most vaccines inactivated organisms or toxoids.
artificial passive - administration of antibodies directly into person.

thanks terminal,So i'l settle for artificial active as the final answer .
Hope thats correct by all sources.
I guess if it TIG (globulin) then the answer would fit as artificially passive.

But in both the questions it was clearly mentioned as tetanus toxoids . Decks said passive though !

Last edited:
So i settle for artificial active as the final answer .
Hope thats correct by all sources.
I guess if it TIG (globulin) then the answer would fit as artificially passive.

But in both the questions it was clearly mentioned as tetanus toxoids . Decks said passive though !

decks clearly mention active!! which ones r u reffering to!!

hey,,
well i just read dental brd.buster once only once did anatomy from it ,,, took an asda paper(anatomy) scored 79/99 ..... need to increase my score !!!
what about u guys ? what do u think !
wadent

decks clearly mention active!! which ones r u reffering to!!

quoting '06-'07 decks
"active immunity induced by vaccines prepared from bacteria or bacterial products.passive immunity is provided by administration of preformed antibody in preparations called immune globulin(toxoids). passive-active immunity gives both"

hi can anyone here please share ur stats as to how u guys are performing in asda papers!!:confused::confused:

hey,,
well i just read dental brd.buster once only once did anatomy from it ,,, took an asda paper(anatomy) scored 79/99 ..... need to increase my score !!!
what about u guys ? what do u think !
wadent

Even i dunno wats desirable . When is ur exam terminal ? wadent ?
am not getting great scores either , how much are you scoring on avg terminal?

Even i dunno wats desirable . When is ur exam terminal ? wadent ?
am not getting great scores either , how much are you scoring on avg terminal?

its in less than 2 weeks now!!really freaked out....n hve a big range smtimes it goes to high 80s n smtimes low seventies...

n decks 09 clearly mention toxoid vaccines as active~!

hey guys...help me on this....after extraction patient develops red spots below finger nails..what could be the possible diagnosis?

hey guys...help me on this....after extraction patient develops red spots below finger nails..what could be the possible diagnosis?

Its most likely , splinter hemorrhage , due to infective endocarditis .
mainly dental procedures or any other surgical procedures lead to this , hence antibiotic coverage is a must for pts .

its in less than 2 weeks now!!really freaked out....n hve a big range smtimes it goes to high 80s n smtimes low seventies...

n decks 09 clearly mention toxoid vaccines as active~!

Am in similar kind of situation . But IMO re-scheduling the date, i dunno really if thats gonna help, at the same time, its the only chance we get (cant stress that enough !!!)
Hey you're doing good as of ,u'll do well , stay calm and best of luck

Am in similar kind of situation . But IMO re-scheduling the date, i dunno really if thats gonna help, at the same time, its the only chance we get (cant stress that enough !!!)
Hey you're doing good as of ,u'll do well , stay calm and best of luck

THANKS TRUTHSEEKER...all the best to u too!

here is one more

.Each of the following is conditio usually found in a mutually protected occlusion, in the normal upright position, Except one. Which one is this exception? .
.A) None of the posterior teeth contact on the non-working side when the mandible move laterally. .
B) Anterior teeth disocclude all posterior teeth during protrusion

.C) Condyles are in their most supero anterior position in closure. .
.D) Anterior teeth contact more heavily than the posterior teeth..
.E) Axial loading of occlusal forces occurs in closure.

.) Which of the following statements describes an example of innate immunity? ...
. .. .
.A. An allergic reaction to insect venom ...
.B. The classical pathway of complement ...
...C Distruction of virus infected cells bye killer T cells
.D. The production of IgG in response to insect venom ...
.E. The alternative pathway of complement ...

Last edited:
Each of the following is conditio usually found in a mutually protected occlusion, in the normal upright position, Except one. Which one is this exception?
A) None of the posterior teeth contact on the non-working side when the mandible move laterally.
B) Anterior teeth disocclude all posterior teeth during protrusion

C) Condyles are in their most supero anterior position in closure.
D) Anterior teeth contact more heavily than the posterior teeth.(answer)
E) Axial loading of occlusal forces occurs in closure.

) Which of the following statements describes an example of innate immunity?

A. An allergic reaction to insect venom
B. The classical pathway of complement
C Distruction of virus infected cells bye killer T cells

D. The production of IgG in response to insect venom
E. The alternative pathway of complement (answer)

hey terminal...
how u doin !!
wana wish ya gud luck in ur exam ,,u can do it !!! i bet u can...
well ill appear in july but dont know when yet,,maybe by end of july...iam doin anatomy now only,,,what about u truthseeker! anyay u guys take care....study good its our last chance we better nail da exam guuuuuuud :> :> :>

hey terminal...
how u doin !!
well ill appear in july but dont know when yet,,maybe by end of july...iam doin anatomy now only,,,what about u truthseeker! anyay u guys take care....study good its our last chance we better nail da exam guuuuuuud :> :> :>

thank you wadent.i just hope evrything goes well!!good luck with your prep too!!:thumbup:

hey terminal...
how u doin !!

Am starting to freak-out i guess , dont know wats wrong with me, i go blank sometimes and i dont seem to remember anything , is it normal or am i going crazy ?

hey..everyone..my exam is on 26 april..i scored 86 in my mock test..shd i delay or go ahead..plzz do reply..n all d best to all who r gng to appear..

what is mock test..!!!!
yeah go ahead an appear for the exam,,scorin 86 is not bad,,ur ready buddy!
gud luck

Hey truthseeker,,its normal its just the fear of the exam !ull remeber all of em in the exam,,dont worry it happens to all of us.
also gud luck.

Am starting to freak-out i guess , dont know wats wrong with me, i go blank sometimes and i dont seem to remember anything , is it normal or am i going crazy ?

HEY ITS PRETTY NORMAL...
when you sit in for your exam just relax n ull be able to rembr all...
so dont worry just put in your best!:thumbup::thumbup:

hi,
please which one is better examaster or crack nbde ,are they realy useful ?

net charge on glutamic acid at ph1

+2
+1

PHOSPHOLIPIDS IN OUTER LAMELLA OF PLASMA MEMBRANE

SPHINGOMYLEIN
PHOSPHATIDYLCHOLINE
PHOSPHATIDYLETHANOLAMINE

cell membrane least permeable to

Oxygen
Na
ethanol
glycerol
water

Which of the following cells is involved in antibody-dependent cell-mediated cytotoxicity?
(A) CD4+ cell
(B) CD8+ cell
(C) Mature B cell
(D) Plasma cell
(E) Natural killer (NK) cell
(F) Null (K) cell

Highest risk of ovarian cancer in women ???

A. Untreated gonorrhea
B. Having many children
C. Use of oral contraceptives
D. Follicular cysts of the ovaries
E. A family history of ovarian cancer

what is mock test..!!!!
yeah go ahead an appear for the exam,,scorin 86 is not bad,,ur ready buddy!
gud luck

Hey truthseeker,,its normal its just the fear of the exam !ull remeber all of em in the exam,,dont worry it happens to all of us.
also gud luck.

thanks wadent , lets see wat happens . Study well u too !

net charge on glutamic acid at ph1

+2
+1 (answer)

PHOSPHOLIPIDS IN OUTER LAMELLA OF PLASMA MEMBRANE

SPHINGOMYLEIN (answer)
PHOSPHATIDYLCHOLINE
PHOSPHATIDYLETHANOLAMINE

cell membrane least permeable to

Oxygen
Na(answer)
ethanol
glycerol
water
Expl: we know- small non-polar(hydrophobic) molecules easily pass through the cell

Which of the following cells is involved in antibody-dependent cell-mediated cytotoxicity?
(A) CD4+ cell
(B) CD8+ cell
(C) Mature B cell
(D) Plasma cell
(E) Natural killer (NK) cell (answer)
(F) Null (K) cell

Highest risk of ovarian cancer in women ???

A. Untreated gonorrhea
B. Having many children
C. Use of oral contraceptives
D. Follicular cysts of the ovaries
E. A family history of ovarian cancer (answer)

ovarian cancer runs in families i.e first degree relatives

hey terminal , pls correct me if am wrong anywhere

Aspiration of food can result in any of the following except one :

a) Pneumonia
b) Pneumothorax
c) Lung abscess
d) Absorption atelectasis
E) death from asphyxiation

please answer this with expln or quote the source

Aspiration of food can result in any of the following except one :

a) Pneumonia
b) Pneumothorax (answer)
c) Lung abscess
d) Absorption atelectasis
E) death from asphyxiation

please answer this with expln or quote the source

rest all relate somehow...is this the answer?

a request to ppl who recently aced the exam , guys wat would you advice in the last days of preparation ?

pls help wit these q's

1. when viewed from the sagittal plane and progressing anteriorly , the axial inclination of the anterior teeth should :
a.remain vertical
b.incline facially
c.incline mesially
d.incline distally
e.incline lingually

2.In a cl.2 intercuspal relationship the buccal cusp tip of a maxillary 1st premolar could oppose which of the following ?
a.distobuccal cusp ridge of a mandibular 1st pm
b.distobuccal cusp ridge of mand 2nd pm
c.facial embrasure between the mand canine and 1st pm
d.facial embrasure between the mand first and 2nd pm
e.mesiobuccal cusp ridge of the mesiobuccal cusp of a mand 1st molar

pls help wit these q's

1. when viewed from the sagittal plane and progressing anteriorly , the axial inclination of the anterior teeth should :
a.remain vertical
b.incline facially(answer)
c.incline mesially
d.incline distally
e.incline lingually

2.In a cl.2 intercuspal relationship the buccal cusp tip of a maxillary 1st premolar could oppose which of the following ?
c.facial embrasure between the mand canine and 1st pm(answer)

good luck for ur exam..!!so how many days left...?

pls help wit these q's

a.remain vertical
b.incline facially
c.incline mesially
d.incline distally
e.incline lingually

i had doubts between b n c , but dunno how ans is e , can u pls exln how facially ?

c.facial embrasure between the mand canine and 1st pm

i was thinking of c too, since mand is retrognathic , or does this happen in cl.2 div 2 cases, no idea , may be the key is wrong .

thanks terminal , i 've underlined the given answers , dunno how those apply. less than 2 weeks for my Exam day , actually D-day . when is urs ?
All the best to you .

i was thinking of c too, since mand is retrognathic , or does this happen in cl.2 div 2 cases, no idea , may be the key is wrong .

thanks terminal , i 've underlined the given answers , dunno how those apply. less than 2 weeks for my Exam day , actually D-day . when is urs ?
All the best to you .

I guess we would have to stick to the asda answers reagardless of what we may think !
Truthseeker how much are u scoring in the released papers as of now and how do u feel about ur prepartion as ur are two weeks away from your exam.?
Thanks