Writing NBDE Part 1 in November/December 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bddsgirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

All of you folks who are writing NBDE Part 1 in November/December 2009, come and share your knowledge. I have just started my preparation in May.

I did my Graduation in 2007 from India. So the subjects I m studying now were studied by me 5-6 years back.

So lets make a study plan and study together.

God Bless All of Us

Members don't see this ad.

hi me too in the same boat...!!!!

that would be gr8 if we can decide on a few topics and study them...!!!! will certainly help keep the tempo going...!!!!

what subjects r u starting with????

Hey I am done with my DA. I went through my text books, did the Dental Decks and then went through the released ASDA Exams. It took me 20 days to get over with DA.

Then I started Biochem and Physio simultaneously. Right now I am studying Proteins and Amino Acids. And then I am left with just Endocrinology from Physio.

So how much have you covered? and how many hours do you study in a day?

Members don't see this ad :)
hi even i m trying to give exam in nov ... lbut i have not started anything serious...can we start

Yes...we all should start our prep from now onwards with full determination because we dont have plenty of time left ....just a few months....so pack your bags and just go for it......

so what all study materials all of us are studying from?

I have just my text books, Dental Decks and ASDA Exams till 2003....

I am still doing Proteins and Amino Acids Metabolism.....Biochem is the subject I dont like much......But we have no choice.....have to like all of them...

So what is everyone upto......

hello
same here.. are all of u writing on nov dec.. what all u guys studying now..
is anyone studying kaplan review.
has any one written the exam before?

Yes...we all should start our prep from now onwards with full determination because we dont have plenty of time left ....just a few months....so pack your bags and just go for it......

so what all study materials all of us are studying from?

I have just my text books, Dental Decks and ASDA Exams till 2003....

I am still doing Proteins and Amino Acids Metabolism.....Biochem is the subject I dont like much......But we have no choice.....have to like all of them...

So what is everyone upto......

i had gone thru DA from dentessentials...but its very very concise .....don't think that is sufficient.....also read micro once fron kaplan review....!!

how many decks u guys do daily....decks r very imp....!!!

and me have a 4 month old to look after sooo studying very haphazardly.....nothing fixed....!!!! how much u all putting in????

annakc, Yes I think most of here are writing the test in November/December. I already booked my test for 26th of November. This will be the first time I am writing Test. I dont have Kaplan materials. I just read from my text books, dental decks and then go through ASDA Exams. I finished my DA.....and now will be done with biochem and physio in 2 more weeks.

Dentical, I can understand having a baby n studying is so hard.....but hats off to you!!......so right now I am not giving that much time to study as I should.....because we are not supposed to think oh its still 5 months......we have to give as much time as we could...

For DA you should not do concise study or just decks....they are not enough....because we should keep in mind that DA and Anatomy are two subjects which carry full 100 marks.....all of other carry only 50 marks......and moreover DA is interesting.....I am done with it...I went thoroughly through Wheelers for DA and then dental decks and then ASDA....

hi even i m trying to give exam in nov ... lbut i have not started anything serious...can we start

Hey Shine....I think now is high time we should start studying seriously now....we dont have much time left.....Start with the subject you like most....or DA as DA is easy and interesting....

Hey......So how is everyone doing on preparation.........How many hours are you guys studying now......

Hey I am starting with endocrinology but it would be my first time.......and then I am done with Biochem and Physio.....And then starting with Micro and Patho.......

There are times when I feel that oh this test is so easy and I will get very good scores and some times when I am not even sure to pass the test....Well, I dont know maybe everyone feels like this.....

But right now I am in mood to study and going to my Endocrinology.....I hope I finish this in one week....

me stARTING WITH BIOCHEM.......AND I JUST CANT GET MYSELF TO START IT...DON'T KNOW WHY...!!!!!!!! READ VITAMINES THE EASIEST...HAHA...!!!! HOPE TO FINISH IT IN 2 WEEKS......DECENT RIGHT?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
I can suggest you one thing.You are having a baby and studying hard.So put your best efforts , don't cram the material.Biochem is very tough if you don't understand.Follow USMLE notes and video lectures for Biochemistry.Don't do any other subjects....
It's not how many decks you read, how much you rememeber.If you don't understand and study , you will forget those minute details from decks.So serach wikipedia and do decks and question papers.It's more than enough.Don't stuck up by reading text books and alll....Revise decks 4-5 times before your exam and ASDA q.papers atleast 4 times.....
You will get very good score.........

hey im also thinknig of giving them in december.but havnt yet started studying.i just got my but to usa and trying to get settled in here.im doing a part time job.i hav all the material ready.just dont know where to start from.getting really nervous.
i heard some rumours abt the pattern changing from next year.and that there are some new rules and regulations coming out
is any of this true?does anyone know wats going to happen?

hey im also thinknig of giving them in december.but havnt yet started studying.i just got my but to usa and trying to get settled in here.im doing a part time job.i hav all the material ready.just dont know where to start from.getting really nervous.
i heard some rumours abt the pattern changing from next year.and that there are some new rules and regulations coming out
is any of this true?does anyone know wats going to happen?

Hey Dr. Gang its time that you start studying right now....even 2-3 hours per day in the beginning is fine and then go to hard studies.....start from the easiest one like DA.....

Yes the pattern is going to change next year in the way that you will be able to write the test one time and if you pass that is if you get 75% you will not be able to write the test again.....but if you fail and get less that 75% then you can rewrite it........

Dont get nervous we all here are writing the test in November and we have just started....

I am still doing Endocrinology.......I think it is important topic so I am doing it very thoroughly......Hope to finish this in one week.......

me stARTING WITH BIOCHEM.......AND I JUST CANT GET MYSELF TO START IT...DON'T KNOW WHY...!!!!!!!! READ VITAMINES THE EASIEST...HAHA...!!!! HOPE TO FINISH IT IN 2 WEEKS......DECENT RIGHT?

Hey Dentical18, Vitamins are not that easy ....they are hard....so do not get upset if they take your time...they are worth reading......Read from watever source you are studying and then do them from decks....Learn them properly from Decks and then you are fine......I hope you finish vitamins in less than two weeks.....

I want to join you people too. I am also planning in NOV/DEC. Does anyone have soft copy of new decks? I have dental decks of 2007/2008. I dont know how much they are different from the new ones. Any idea?

Hey,

All of you folks who are writing NBDE Part 1 in November/December 2009, come and share your knowledge. I have just started my preparation in May.

I did my Graduation in 2007 from India. So the subjects I m studying now were studied by me 5-6 years back.

So lets make a study plan and study together.

God Bless All of Us

Hello,
does someone have latest info on the issue of NBDEI & II being combined in 2010 and its implications??
Best wishes to all those preparing for the boards...

HI f.khan, I am studying from 2006-2007 decks and I have heard that its not very different from the recent ones.......because the basics are the same......but if anyone knows that there is a lot of difference please let us know.......

Druj, They are still thinking of that combining Part 1 and 2 but it is not implemented yet.....and there is no notice of implementing it the next year....if you have any news let us know

HI f.khan, I am studying from 2006-2007 decks and I have heard that its not very different from the recent ones.......because the basics are the same......but if anyone knows that there is a lot of difference please let us know.......

Druj, They are still thinking of that combining Part 1 and 2 but it is not implemented yet.....and there is no notice of implementing it the next year....if you have any news let us know

hello everyone,
firstly i am so new to States,i plan to take exam part 1 in nov-dec 09.
yes i asked ada.org sabout the new rues
1) that if one passes either part1 or part2 will not be allowed to retake exam from jan 1st 2010 and
2)the second rule is that from jan 1st 2012 there will be on score system just pass and fail. these new rules are so scary.
best of luck to all. if anyone living in Atlanta Ga area ( or elsewhere can share useful info) and we could discuss and share information, you can also contact me at 6788510899 or email [email protected]
thank you
jasmine

Thanks for confirming. Is anyone interested to form a online study group?

Hey.....how is your guys preparation going.....am still doing endocrinology......hope to finish this in one week.......

f khan
i m interested
temme how n when to start

We can either add eachother on msn and start planning how much and wat to do each day. N then we can also discuss the problems that we r facing in that subject. What do u say?

hey bddsgirl....

did vitamins in a day...!!!! not 2 weeks..!!!1

me tooo switched to physio.....reading GIT....

Hi Dentical18....

That was great......I took 3-4 days for vitamins......

Yes, reading physio and biochem simultaneously is great......I am doing the same thing....I finished Proteins and Amino Acids and now I am doing Endocrinology from Physio.....So when you get bored from boring biochem you can always refresh urself with interesting physio....

I am done with GIT......Its good......should not take much time......

Endo is taking a lot of time.....I took 3 hours for just pituitary gland and now i am going back to study and start with thyroid gland......

Hey Dr. Gang its time that you start studying right now....even 2-3 hours per day in the beginning is fine and then go to hard studies.....start from the easiest one like DA.....

Yes the pattern is going to change next year in the way that you will be able to write the test one time and if you pass that is if you get 75% you will not be able to write the test again.....but if you fail and get less that 75% then you can rewrite it........

Dont get nervous we all here are writing the test in November and we have just started....

I am still doing Endocrinology.......I think it is important topic so I am doing it very thoroughly......Hope to finish this in one week.......

thanx....i was just wondering..if any of you would have a detailed curriculum..or list of topics to study in each subject?

thanx....i was just wondering..if any of you would have a detailed curriculum..or list of topics to study in each subject?

You can get that info from the 2009 candidate guide for NBDE part 1.Not only there is a list of topics which will be covered in the exam but also how many questions come from each topic.The candidate guide is on the ADA website.

Hey.....I just finished Thyroid,Pancreas and Adrenal Cortex.........Will do Adrenal Medulla tomorrow and then all Hormones from Dental Decks ........And then Reproductive System.....And then I will give one full revision to Biochem and Physio.....

Hey i was just wondering how good is the NBDE First Aid book and Kaplans dent-essentials......If anyone knows please let me know.......

You can get that info from the 2009 candidate guide for NBDE part 1.Not only there is a list of topics which will be covered in the exam but also how many questions come from each topic.The candidate guide is on the ADA website.
thnx..il check it out
i have another question ....when you gave all your marksheets to the ECE for evaluation.did you have the GPA results posted back to your address or did you have one of the copies posted to the Joint Commission in chicago?(ADA offices)for the NBDE??

thnx..il check it out
i have another question ....when you gave all your marksheets to the ECE for evaluation.did you have the GPA results posted back to your address or did you have one of the copies posted to the Joint Commission in chicago?(ADA offices)for the NBDE??

When I applied for evaluation I had one of my GPA copy posted to my address as well as Joint Commission.....because in that application they asked me to write another address in addition to my address where i wanted the copy to be posted.......but if you want they can post you sealed copies which you can send to Joint Commission

dentessentials seems to be goor for last minute rivision....it's very up to the point...!!!!

Thanks Dentical, I am keeping First-aid and Dentessentials for last revision as supplementary study.....

So how is GIT going for you.....Today I hope I will be done with Endocrinology.....going back to Adrenal Medulla

hi bddsgirl...

GIT i finished reading from kaplan notes....dont know how much of it i have retained....!!!! revision is definitely needed & on a regular basis...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hey ............ONE QUERY......

do we need to submit a copy of the transcript for the ECE eval????????

as far as i understand that is not mentioned in the required docus.

Yes revision is the key......

Regarding ECE, you dont need to submit the transcript.......just mark sheets and your graduation certificate

Hey Guys, I am finally done with Endocrinology and now going through the dental decks......this was easy stuff.....

HI bddsgirl
do we have to do general evaluation or course by course
how long do they take. plz reply.....................

ok..thanx...i think ill just get both of them poted to my home address
i also wanted to ask you if we have to do the general evaluation..or course by course evaluation

if i get both the evaluation reports send to my house...then when do i have to post it to the joint commission?is it after i apply for the NBDE exams...will they ask me to send it to them..

ADA will process the application only after they recieve ece report.so send ur ece report along with application.

ok..thanx...i think ill just get both of them poted to my home address
i also wanted to ask you if we have to do the general evaluation..or course by course evaluation

Why are trying to make things difficult for yourself?If you ask the ECE to send one report to you and one to the Joint commission,then you wont have the trouble of sending it to the Joint commission.If I were you I would ask for course by course evaluation because the NBDE part 1 exam accepts both general and course by course evaluations but dental schools insist on course by course.That will save you some money.You can apply for the exam electronically saving you time and a drive to the local post office.You will also be able to schedule your exam faster.Anyway,its your call!

P.S:Are you concerned about your GPA?
I ordered more than 2 copies because I could use them when applying to schools.If you ask the ECE for copies later they charge you more.

Last edited:
HI bddsgirl
do we have to do general evaluation or course by course
how long do they take. plz reply.....................
Hey Shine, go for course by course evaluation because Joint Commission accepts it and then you use the copies for applying to schools too because dental schools accept course by course report only.....

If you want them faster, you can apply for rush service....otherwise it takes 3-4 weeks for them to process

hey guys........

which set it released papers r u refering....there is stuff like i-m , i-l pilot , i-k , i -j which seem to be the most recent....r u guys doing the older exams dec 87,88 and stuff??????????

Why are trying to make things difficult for yourself?If you ask the ECE to send one report to you and one to the Joint commission,then you wont have the trouble of sending it to the Joint commission.If I were you I would ask for course by course evaluation because the NBDE part 1 exam accepts both general and course by course evaluations but dental schools insist on course by course.That will save you some money.You can apply for the exam electronically saving you time and a drive to the local post office.You will also be able to schedule your exam faster.Anyway,its your call!

P.S:Are you concerned about your GPA?
I ordered more than 2 copies because I could use them when applying to schools.If you ask the ECE for copies later they charge you more.
hey thnx for the advice...but how can i just send it to the joint comission just like that...i mean thay hav no record of me yet...wont it just be lost with their pile of mail???and when u were talking abt applying electronically...were u talking abt ece???coz they hav very specifically told me to send the application by post...or were u talking abt NBDE
honestly im in no hurry to give the exmas ny time soon...coz i havnt even been able to sit n study for them properly...im just running around doing other stuff....its really crazy...
im a little confused
yeah im a little scared abt my GPA

hey thnx for the advice...but how can i just send it to the joint comission just like that...i mean thay hav no record of me yet...wont it just be lost with their pile of mail???and when u were talking abt applying electronically...were u talking abt ece???coz they hav very specifically told me to send the application by post...or were u talking abt NBDE
honestly im in no hurry to give the exmas ny time soon...coz i havnt even been able to sit n study for them properly...im just running around doing other stuff....its really crazy...
im a little confused
yeah im a little scared abt my GPA

Trust me,many people do that way.I did it too.Apply to ECE by mail(you have to send them photocopies of marksheets,right.I am from India,I dont know about what you are supposed to send if you are from a different country,so check that ) and NBDE electronically.It's your call to take the exam whenever you want but be aware of the no retake policy from 2010.