writing sample anxiety

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcgill2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok so im a good writer, but my issue is coming up with a good argument and good examples to support my argument.
ive done a rediculous amount of practice generating outlines with AAMC prompts, and i have researched enough to have a solid database of examples. yet i still encounter prompts that confuse me or talk about things i know nothing about... what can i do?

Members don't see this ad.

ok so im a good writer, but my issue is coming up with a good argument and good examples to support my argument.
ive done a rediculous amount of practice generating outlines with AAMC prompts, and i have researched enough to have a solid database of examples. yet i still encounter prompts that confuse me or talk about things i know nothing about... what can i do?

What kind of prompts do you have trouble with? Do you notice any trend?
Eg, prompts related to politics, law, education etc. If you can identify a particular section you have trouble with, then try finding more examples and doing more prompts (using the AAMC list) from that general area.

Also remember contentious example are the best ones because you can use them as both thesis and antithesis. A dictatorial regime banning press flows only one way, but the patriot act can be used either way and will lend itself to multiple prompts.

As far as coming up with a good argument, just keep it simple and don't over think. It's only a 30 min essay so you are not expected to explore every possible angle.

I think the best way to attack the writing section is to think about one specific angle you want to attack the prompt from, and then 2-3 good examples from any realm of your knowledge to prove your point(it helps if your examples are related). They aren't expecting perfection, it's only a 30 min essay afterall. And honestly, out of the entire MCAT if the writing section is what you're most worried about then you should be fine. The essay's should be the least stressful part of the exam, esp since admissions committee's don't really care about what score you get as long as you show that your proficient.