1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

writing sample....F***!

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by Omyss, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Omyss

Omyss Member
    2+ Year Member

Ugh, i hate this thing... i just can't seem to come up with decent essays to these random topics under a 30 minute time period. Whatever i come up with truly sucks ass with no style, strong examples, or even a good argument.

Now it's not like i'm illiterate or something, i mean i did get 80% in an introductory level english course with out trying all that much... but the differnce was that i could spend as much time as i wanted to come up with a good topic and thus a good essay.

But with the WS these random topics are just thrown at you, and i just can't seem to come with anything even remotely acceptable.

I am going to get gang raped on this thing i can feel it...

Is anyone in a similar postion as me? any suggestions?

Also, how imporant is this darn section?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. osjx-82

osjx-82 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm surprised that you're even trying. Because I'm not gonna bother.
    LOL

4. TMP-SMX

TMP-SMX Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I can write... But I got an M on the April test. So I probably didn't follow the prompt somewhere. (Not sure where, but whatever)

It's not that big of a deal. Just follow the prompt and you are guaranteed at least N or O.

5. Summer Sweet

Summer Sweet Le chéri, c'est la vie
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Ugh, I totally feel ya. While I actually consider myself a decent writer [for topics I'm interested in and actually want to say something about], I can't seem to pull past M's and N's on the WS's that I've written thus far. When I go back to look at them, it seems like the writing isn't too bad, but it's the examples and stuff. I figure the long way is practicing on all those prompts the AAMC posted on their website...there's a ton of them, though. On the other hand, I'm just going to dig up my freshmen history notes and find some examples about government and law and all that.

6. Jacks Mannequin

Jacks Mannequin if you're into it
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    It's all about how much you can bs in 30 mins. Just complete the three tasks and provide examples and you'll do fine.

7. doctorJP

doctorJP Mr. Pragmatic
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    This is a 1 hour break for me in this exam and thank god for it. The WS doesn't seem to carry too much weight with the US medical schools; it does carry more with Canadian med schools and in general it is considered as part of your MCAT mark. I would say this mark is somewhat subjective to the readers, but in general everything averages out between probabilities of getting good/bad readers and the fact your essays are further reviewed if there is any major discrepancies between readers. So if you get an M for your writing sample, you more than likely deserved it. In any event, since it's not a major part of your MCAT score, I wouldn't really worry about it.

8. lytesnsyrens

lytesnsyrens The Phoenix...
    10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I haven't even practiced it yet, not sure if I will. I was the queen of BS in college, so I'm hoping I can muster up some of that for the test. I've been spending all my time studying the other sections, I figured the WS doesn't have much weight anyway. Of course, I'll probably bomb it now.

9. maple_us

maple_us Member
    5+ Year Member

ive been having trouble with the 3rd part especially. what determines if its this way or the other? anyone have any tips?

10. supafield

supafield Dream Big
    7+ Year Member

Ugh, one more thing to worry about....
    The cutoff I need to make is a Q.... damn Ontario med schools lol..

If I get 10+'s and then pull of a P for some reason there will be a lot of cursing

11. Omyss

Omyss Member
    2+ Year Member

f*** i am in canada...

how important is it up here? is it weghted the same as the other sections?

12. 4s4

4s4 Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Is it a good idea to "resolve the issue"? My Kaplan instructors say that it's better to give a side on the last sentence to sum things up. However, if you do that, won't you be sort of contradicting your counter-example?

"Recording history is impossible to be objective" (or something like that)
    and you go..."if the methods can be quantified, then it can be objective" for your criteria or something

Finally, in the last sentence, you say, "however, depending on who sets the parameters used to evaluate the data, there may still be slight bias; hence, recording history may very well be impossible to record objectively"...then wouldn't the last sentence decrease the validity of your counter example?