1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Writing Sample on EK #1g

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by hayden, Aug 7, 2006.

1. hayden

hayden Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    From EK exam 1g, one of the writing sample statements is "One shold always tell the truth." What kind of specific situations would you use to refute this statement? Situations in which you shouldn't tell the truth...

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DiscoDoc

DiscoDoc Till I Collapse
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    A standard reply would be the utilitarian response to Kantian ethics. One example is the inquiring murderer. A murderer arrives at your door looking for a friend of yours who's hiding in your house. If you tell the truth, your friend will be murdered, but if you lie, the murderer will move on.

Another example is bearing false witness. If you could save the lives of hundreds by incarcerating an innocent man, one could argue you should do so.

I'm sure there are more examples, but 1 of these should suffice for the essay.

4. hayden

hayden Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    yeah, i was thinking of an example like the murderer one, didn't know if that was just too obvious and they might look for something else, but as long as it supports the arguement, i guess its good to go