Psychology 76

10+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2009
Status
Psychology Student
I just wanted to get some feedback on this...

For my writing sample I'm leaning towards submitting my honors thesis proposal. It's been revised many times and it pretty good right now. (its for a cogneuro study, and i'm applying to cogneuro programs fwiw)

However, I'll be finishing my entire paper at the beginning of December.
Problem is I won't be able to revise it much before then. I have a Dec 1st deadline which I might not even be done with the final paper and a Dec 15th deadline where I'll be done but likely will not have received much feedback.

Would it look better to submit a good and revised research proposal or a finished research article that may have some mistakes?

I appreciate any feedback/advice!!

Markp

Clinical Psychologist
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2007
Status
Psychologist
If the article has been published, I would probably submit that...

Mark

OP
P

Psychology 76

10+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2009
Status
Psychology Student
If the article has been published, I would probably submit that...

Mark
It's not published though.

Generally for my school our final research project is 3 semesters long:

1st semester is writing the proposal, 2nd semester is data collection and finishing the paper(where i am now), 3rd semester is final revisions and publishing.

So I have a good proposal written but no results/discussion. Or I'll have a complete research paper that might have some errors. I just wasn't sure if having a complete research paper makes up for some errors/lack of revision.

edified1

Sep 4, 2009
Status
Post Doc
I would submit the proposal only. It will be clear in other parts of your application that you are still collecting data and/or writing the results. You will be prepared to talk about results and implications by the time of your interviews.

Marissa4usa

10+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2007
CT
Status
Psychology Student
I have a similar question: When I submit my thesis proposal as a writing sample, do I include everything, including the full reference list and appendices?

Also, my entire proposal is about 80 pages long. Is it okay to print it double sided with two pages on one page or only double sided? It's not so much about saving me money than not wanting to bother the review committee at the school I am applying to with an 80 page manuscript that most likely nobody is going to read in its entity anyways?

Jan 25, 2010
Status
Pre-Psychology
How long are the writing samples that everyone else is submitting? Is 10 pages enough or more/less? I am thinking of using a paper from undergrad or writing a new paper related to what I want to study, but I wanted a general idea of the length it needs to be. Thanks!

Jun 6, 2010
Status
Pre-Psychology
Can anyone who has gone through the application process advise me on this particular situation? One school I am applying to does not directly ask/require writing samples, however it can be included as a "supporting material." I don't have anything published yet; would it help or hurt me to include a honors thesis proposal (5 page limit) and a full laboratory class paper (20 pages, I'm first author)?