1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Writing Sample Template/Skelaton anyone??

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by Cooolguy, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Cooolguy

Cooolguy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Does anyone have a writing sample template or skelaton they are willing to share. I am not sure how to go about this section. This is my first time even caring to know whats on this section. anyone else in the same boat as me?

pleaseeeeeee helpp

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Inessa

Inessa Inna
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    there's not much of a skeleton to it, but here's one approach:

paragraph 1: explain what statement means as thouroughly as possible. Give an example.

Paragraph 2: Give a scenario when the statement doesn;t hold true, and explain why not.

Paragraph 3: Give a larger critera that could be used to determine when the statement holds true and when it doesn't. Elaborate a bit why/how this is a criteria, conclude.

that's it :)

4. mcat_study

mcat_study eukaryote
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    given same contents, is it better to write an essay with 3 or 4 paragraphs. any advice ? :confused:

5. doctorJP

doctorJP Mr. Pragmatic
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    The post above outlines exactly how to write an essay. This is grade 12 english stuff, with 3 paragraphs: a beginning, middle, and conclusion. Make sure your thought process is logical, try to illustrate your points with an example that you think the readers might be able to relate to. On the August 2005 MCAT, one of my questions involved music and I gave different examples including the Rolling stones, the beatles, CCR (John Fogerty), since they have all transcended the test of time. Just an example, but you get the point.

Don't get all abstract thinking you will impress someone because you won't. It amazes me how some people cannot write an essay and just gloss over this part of the MCAT. In Canada it is actually part of some of the applications that you have a certain letter grade, so I just don't ignore it. Follow those simple rules and there is no reason why you can't get a T, it worked for me. Unfortch is was the only stellar part of my MCAT score, so here I am again.

6. mcat_study

mcat_study eukaryote
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    the reason why i asked, is that i saw most sample high grade essays from AAMC that systematically have 4 paragraphs: 1.into, 2.pro, 3.con, 4.determining factor. i also saw a few good ones with three paragraphs (1.into&pro, 2.con, 3.determining factor&conclusion). Is it a better idea to fit ur contents into three or four paragraphs? do u think number of paragraphs matters? besides contents of course (most important) :confused: i personally prefer three, but after reading some of the AAMC essays, i started to doubt:(

7. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper Duffman in Disguise
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Go with the 4.

it's much better to introduce the subject itself in the introduction rather than mixing one viewpoint with the intro. The purpose of the essay is to show that you can defend both sides. Putting the positive in the intro might be misconstrued as putting more emphasis on the pro argument.
    -Dr. P.

8. mcat_study

mcat_study eukaryote
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    thanks's much :) for feedback