Writing Sample & Test Practice Conditions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiringdoc09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't practiced with my writing sample on my practice runs. Does this matter overall? Or can I wait until the last couple of tests to practice it? I'm not a bad writer, so I'm not really concerned. Did y'all practice writing on each test?

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't practice it on any of my CBTs, I just looked over the various prompts and read through a few sample essays online to get an idea of length and structure. If you don't have a lot of experience with timed writing exercises or you really want to simulate the full test experience then you should go ahead and do them, but otherwise I don't think it's really necessary.

I didn't practice it on any of my CBTs, I just looked over the various prompts and read through a few sample essays online to get an idea of length and structure. If you don't have a lot of experience with timed writing exercises or you really want to simulate the full test experience then you should go ahead and do them, but otherwise I don't think it's really necessary.

I'm doing a retake, so I figured it was unneccessary. I just wanted to know how others treated it. Thanks.

Kinda off on a tangent here, but do you guys know if the writing section bears any weight in terms of admission, considering AAMC are taking it out starting 2013?

I'm kinda torn as to whether I should devote any time to the writing section ... I definitely wanna "wing-it" if med schools don't care about it, as long as it's not the extreme end ... like if it falls between M and Q, should be ok right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Kinda off on a tangent here, but do you guys know if the writing section bears any weight in terms of admission, considering AAMC are taking it out starting 2013?

I'm kinda torn as to whether I should devote any time to the writing section ... I definitely wanna "wing-it" if med schools don't care about it, as long as it's not the extreme end ... like if it falls between M and Q, should be ok right?

I'm not an expert, but a lot of people say it doesn't matter and is more for internationals. If you are a halfway decent writer, then you should be able to get at least an average score (P) on it.

It probably depends on the school, but the one time I've heard an adcom talk about the writing section he said they "don't care about it at all." Most of the successful applicants I know have had writing scores in "average" range too, so even if it is a factor at certain schools I can't imagine it's a huge one. But who knows...

I haven't practiced with my writing sample on my practice runs. Does this matter overall? Or can I wait until the last couple of tests to practice it? I'm not a bad writer, so I'm not really concerned. Did y'all practice writing on each test?

I practiced once on AAMC 10 and felt that was enough. As long as you can follow the instructions you'll be fine.

You really only need to write a couple of practice essays just to get a feel for it. The best practice is knowing what examples to use. A lot of the prompts are similar so you can get away using the same examples. My general approach is to consider my examples to be square pegs, the prompt a round hole, and I'm going to make them fit. =)

I've never heard of anyone getting into med school on the strength of a strong writing sample score. If you shoot for average, you'll be fine.