Writing the PCAT without taking courses such as organic chem, genetics etc...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peppermint5039

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to write the PCAT this year in order to apply for the University of Toronto's Pharmacy program. However, I just graduated from highschool and will be attending McMaster's Health Science program in September - so the only knowledge I have of chem, bio and math are from my high school courses.

I realise that I may be at a disadvantage, but I'd like to try and make it in to UofT before they change their requirements (more prerequisite courses etc.)

Asides, from study guides such as Kaplan and Barron's, what would be the best way to study for the PCAT? Unfortunately, I won't be just "refreshing" my memory for the PCAT; I'll be trying to teach myself =)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!:D

Members don't see this ad.

Is there a minimum score you need to get because with just a high school understanding of this coursework, it is going to be very tough. When are you planning on taking the exam? I'm not familiar with the University of Toronto but most schools require a minimum number of units to be able to apply. How are you going to do that if you just graduated from high school?

Thanks for your reply! According to UofT's website, it is possible for me to apply for the program during my first year.

"For the 2009 admission cycle you are eligible to apply for admission during your first year of university, i.e. in the year in which you will be completing your fifth university level credit (provided you have taken, or are in the process of taking, courses required for admission). Although our application deadline occurs prior to the time final grades are issued you are eligible to apply provided you will be completing all required courses by April/May, in time for your final grades to be issued by the mid-June transcript deadline."

Although this is for 2009, there are 2010 changes pending, but this will most likely stay the same (as far as I know at least :D). UofT is in the midst of changing their admission requirements and they will be adding more requirements such as organic chemistry, but that will not happen until 2011 or later.
http://www.pharmacy.utoronto.ca/undergrad/admis/sec2.jsp

I'm planning to take the exam in January; by then I would have completed some basic chem, bio, and calculus courses. It'll definitely be tough without taking some important courses like organic chemistry, but either way I want to try for it. I see it this way: even if I don't get a great PCAT score this time, I'll be able to learn from it and prepare for next year. Which is why I'm currently looking for any tips for studying for the PCAT :thumbup:

Thanks for your reply! According to UofT's website, it is possible for me to apply for the program during my first year.

"For the 2009 admission cycle you are eligible to apply for admission during your first year of university, i.e. in the year in which you will be completing your fifth university level credit (provided you have taken, or are in the process of taking, courses required for admission). Although our application deadline occurs prior to the time final grades are issued you are eligible to apply provided you will be completing all required courses by April/May, in time for your final grades to be issued by the mid-June transcript deadline."

Although this is for 2009, there are 2010 changes pending, but this will most likely stay the same (as far as I know at least :D). UofT is in the midst of changing their admission requirements and they will be adding more requirements such as organic chemistry, but that will not happen until 2011 or later.
http://www.pharmacy.utoronto.ca/undergrad/admis/sec2.jsp

I'm planning to take the exam in January; by then I would have completed some basic chem, bio, and calculus courses. It'll definitely be tough without taking some important courses like organic chemistry, but either way I want to try for it. I see it this way: even if I don't get a great PCAT score this time, I'll be able to learn from it and prepare for next year. Which is why I'm currently looking for any tips for studying for the PCAT :thumbup:

Sounds like you're planning on doing 2 years for your prepharmacy coursework? If so you typically take the PCAT after you finish your first year, so you have a decent understanding of the material.
Why bother taking the January one? Just take June/Aug/Oct, the June and August ones are well before most schools even open their application process.

Members don't see this ad :)
^^ As far as I'm aware, Canadian schools typically stop receiving applications anywhere from the end of December to the end of February. Most schools don't even let you know when you're in until the end of June (I just found out I got in last week for the 2009/10 cycle, and I applied in late February).

I was under the impression that the UofT application deadline was earlier, sometime in December. I'm not sure though, I haven't checked, but the January one may be a bit late.

For UBC, I took my PCAT during my first year in January and I did well (no organic chem/a little physical chem under my belt). I also didn't take any AP courses so I had no advantage with respect to Chemistry and Biology. It's definitely do-able.

mdubs you're definitely correct. UofT stops taking applications usually mid-December. However, like you said, they also wait until late June/July to send out admissions.

If I were to take the PCAT in January, those scores would be valid for admission that year even though I'd be taking it after the deadline to apply. I believe the transcripts and PCAT scores have to be submitted by June, but I better double check that just in case!