Sep 18, 2013
I was involved in an interesting case when I was in medical school. I never wrote it up, but have often wished that I did. I'm now in residency at another institution. Thoughts on whether I can still write up the case and any insight on how to go about getting the relevant records (who to contact first)?


Psychologist, Academic Medical Center
7+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2010
There's no specific reason why you couldn't do this, but it will require some work to get there. You'll need a co-author who is still affiliated with the first institution, probably a faculty member who is authorized to submit the case study to the institutional IRB and obtain the patient's consent. The patient will also need to be willing to authorize release of his or her medical records to you. Start with faculty at the original institution, float your idea, and go from there.