writing ur own LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Qoo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! Just wondering if anyone out there has experience writing his/her own LOR... my dentist is too busy to write me one. he'll sign it once i wrote my own. i really dont know how to write one. any suggestion?? please help :-(

Members don't see this ad.

I think getting the opportunity to write you're own letter of rec is great because you control what is in the letter and also, when it gets finished! (no more sneeking peaks at letters and finding out that it was only one paragraph long! hehehe)
Anyways, One of my professors let me write my own letter. You should kinda start out by writing a bit about how you got to know the dentist (from his/her point of view of course). Then basically go over what qualities that you have that would make you a good dentist, the kind of work that you did in the office, etc. As you're writing/composing the letter, you should instill a sense of enthusiasm towards you...like writing the letter isn't a chore but rather an easy reflection on what you are like. the whole point of letters of rec is to make others who don't know you enthusiastic about wanting to meet you.
good luck!

-cusp

p.s. you should get some of the dentist's letterhead (or you could make up your own w/their approval of course) and print the letter on that.

Also try and get one of those special
"Reference Letters" envelopes...
It certifies on the bottom with a signature, that only the dentist wrote it and was able to read it...hehe goodluck...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Cusp and Beagle! =) you guys are great~ i'm working on it now... hopefully it'll come out ok...
does anyone else have advice on this?? =) much appreciated.

:cool:

no problem qoo...if you need anymore help or have anymore questions you can pm me! :D Good luck!!!

I think I saw A similar post on the Pre allopathic forum.
GOOD LUCK

I'm not sure what to say in regards to this subject, other than the fact that writing your own LOR defeats the entire purpose of dental schools requiring LORs. Certainly writing such a letter is a fantastic introspective process (my predental advisor made us write such a letter before he would write our committee letters) but it doesn't prove much if you are the one writing it.

Besides, will the dentist sign if it there is something in it that he doesn't agree with? If so, then it's a lie.

-G

he made me write it because he has never written a rec letter before. besides he's gonna read it first before he signs anything... if there's something he disagree, he'll take it out.