Writing your academic/hospital affiliation when publishing a project: current affiliation or affiliation during project?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theWUbear

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wrote a case up while a senior resident at University A. The case was seen at university A-affiliated hospital, I went through the university A IRB, and I worked with university A attendings to submit the project while we were all affiliates of university A.

One year later it's finally accepted post-peer review by the journal, who is asking prior to publication for me to "Please check if the affiliations for the authors A, B, C, and D are okay, or suggest any necessary corrections" (exact phrasing).

I am now an attending affiliated with university B, a new academic center , where I am practicing in my first attending gig. I am no longer affiliated with university A where I did residency. One of the two attendings associated with the project is no longer at university A either, and is in private practice.

Unless it is incorrect academic protocol, I would like this project published with the author affiliations being the affiliations that were had during our seeing the patient and writing the paper - as we were all University A supported people doing a university A approved project.

For those with more experience in academia, anyone see a red flag with this - or strongly recommend that in publication I identify myself and all others with their current affiliations?

Members don't see this ad.

I wrote a case up while a senior resident at University A. The case was seen at university A-affiliated hospital, I went through the university A IRB, and I worked with university A attendings to submit the project while we were all affiliates of university A.

One year later it's finally accepted post-peer review by the journal, who is asking prior to publication for me to "Please check if the affiliations for the authors A, B, C, and D are okay, or suggest any necessary corrections" (exact phrasing).

I am now an attending affiliated with university B, a new academic center , where I am practicing in my first attending gig. I am no longer affiliated with university A where I did residency. One of the two attendings associated with the project is no longer at university A either, and is in private practice.

Unless it is incorrect academic protocol, I would like this project published with the author affiliations being the affiliations that were had during our seeing the patient and writing the paper - as we were all University A supported people doing a university A approved project.

For those with more experience in academia, anyone see a red flag with this - or strongly recommend that in publication I identify myself and all others with their current affiliations?
In general:

The primary affiliation for each author should be the institution where the majority of their research was done. You should also include details about any funding you may have received from that institution. If an author has changed their affililiation since completing the research, the current (or new) affiiation may also be acknowledged in a note.

Reactions: 3 users
In general:

The primary affiliation for each author should be the institution where the majority of their research was done. You should also include details about any funding you may have received from that institution. If an author has changed their affililiation since completing the research, the current (or new) affiiation may also be acknowledged in a note.

I agree with this.

Reactions: 1 user