writing your own LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doe22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had the doctor they shadowed write them an LOR? I have shadowed a cardiologist for 25 hours and he offered to write me a letter. And since he's really busy, he suggested that I write the letter and he signs it!

Members don't see this ad.

What would a cardiologist who you shadowed for 25 hours be able to contribute to your application? He probably asked you to write your own letter because he does not know either. Adcoms do not value shadowing letters; I would recommend building meaningful relationships with your professors/PI(s) and asking them for LORs instead.

Reactions: 1 users
Some MD schools require a physician LOR (most DO schools do). This is a fine strategy to get your LOR. Make sure you also have the required academic LORs as this will not replace any of those.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What would a cardiologist who you shadowed for 25 hours be able to contribute to your application? He probably asked you to write your own letter because he does not know either. Adcoms do not value shadowing letters; I would recommend building meaningful relationships with your professors/PI(s) and asking them for LORs instead.
I currently have three letters. One from a professor who I took two classes with, one from my PI and one from my pre-med advisor who knows me for 3 years now. My volunteering coordinator also offered to write me a letter. I was thinking that a letter from a doctor would be useful, especially when applying to DO schools.

I currently have three letter. One from a professor who I took two classes with, one from my PI and one from my pre-med advisor who knows me for 3 years now. My volunteering coordinator also offered to write me a letter. I was thinking that a letter from a doctor would be useful, especially when applying to DO schools.

A lot of MD schools require 2 science LORs, just FYI. Otherwise, your letters are good.

A lot of MD schools require 2 science LORs, just FYI. Otherwise, your letters are good.
I'm doing research on the medical campus at my school and my PI teaches in the medical school. Also, the prof who's gonna write my letter is the one I took orgo 2 and biochem with.

If they sign it then they are acknowledging that it is what they wanna say. Because they sign and submit it, they vouch for the words.

Reactions: 1 user
Not to hijack the thread, but how does this sound for a professor who I've known for two years in the ChemE department who taught a class that was heavily physics based and therefore BCPM? He offered to write me a letter and asked I write a template for him, which is similar to what OP was asking. How do med schools view this/is this something that is frowned upon?

Not to hijack the thread, but how does this sound for a professor who I've known for two years in the ChemE department who taught a class that was heavily physics based and therefore BCPM? He offered to write me a letter and asked I write a template for him, which is similar to what OP was asking. How do med schools view this/is this something that is frowned upon?

It is the same as what a physician scribe does. The scribe writes everything and the physician looks it over, makes changes, and signs it. Legally, this is the work of the physician. The same applies here. If the professor signs the LOR then it isn't your product anymore. It doesn't matter how it gets to that point.

It is the same as what a physician scribe does. The scribe writes everything and the physician looks it over, makes changes, and signs it. Legally, this is the work of the physician. The same applies here. If the professor signs the LOR then it isn't your product anymore. It doesn't matter how it gets to that point.
Well, I guess that works then hahaha, I guess he is essentially handing me a blank check. Although, I imagine another professor, who is more experienced in writing LORs for med school that I build a relationship with in the future may be more advantageous rather than hoping that I can come up with something that will be useful/STRONG. Although, I guess it can never hurt as a backup LOR if nothing else falls through?

Well, I guess that works then hahaha, I guess he is essentially handing me a blank check. Although, I imagine another professor, who is more experienced in writing LORs for med school that I build a relationship with in the future may be more advantageous rather than hoping that I can come up with something that will be useful/STRONG. Although, I guess it can never hurt as a backup LOR if nothing else falls through?

Yeah, you can find examples of strong LORs online. I had a friend who applied to dental school and wrote his own LOR, like in your situation, and is now a first year student

Yeah, you can find examples of strong LORs online. I had a friend who applied to dental school and wrote his own LOR, like in your situation, and is now a first year student
Wow, ok, that would be amazingly helpful. That is really good to know! I will get on that right away then. Thanks for the insight, just need to be tacitly careful when I write this

These people are all insanely busy. They’re just triaging their time — now that I’m on rotations I 100% ‘get’ why docs and other researchers do this... plan on doing the same when I’m in their shoes

I had to do this, its not a real problem. Just make sure you include something specific in there that makes you really stand out