Writing your own LOR

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Aynsl156, May 10, 2007.

1. Aynsl156

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Hi,

I work in a lab, and so naturally asked my PI for a recc. He's a good guy, and we get on very well. I've done a lot of good work for him, and he knows it. He even gave me a raise because I'd been putting in so much time. Anyways, my problem:

He told me to draft up a recommendation letter for him, which he will then "read over", and submit. This, in essence, means I get to write my own recommendation letter. Have any of you encountered this from your writers? What do I put down? Is there something specific adcoms like to hear coming from basic science faculty? Something to the tune of "Aynsl156 has social skillz and is not a weird research dork"?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. PepperMD

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Talk about how attractive and awesome you are. They totally won't know you wrote it...

4. DrVanNostran

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    This trend seems to be more and more common. Do a search on this, there are some pretty good threads on this.

5. blargh

blargh Membership Revoked
    Removed

Pre-Psychology
    maybe it's a test!

6. aspiring med

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    i had to do this exact thing a few months ago, and my PI's request caught me totally off guard and I was a bit insulted.

But I dug deep and wrote this rec letter for myself, listing my responsibilities, accomplishments, and strengths at the job. I avoided complimenting myself and stuck to the facts. I left the embellishing and polish up to my PI.

interestingly, my PI pretty much rewrote the entire thing and only borrowed a couple of sentences from my draft. it's a strong LOR, but i can tell it's from some prewritten format she keeps on hand.

i have no idea if your PI would rewrite. but i do think it is smart to stick to the facts of your job while making strong case of your PI's trust and confidence in your ability to be an MD. And stay away from the grand compliments...hopefully your PI will have the sense to add that kind of stuff in himself.

7. greg1184

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    One of my professors asked me to write a letter for him. He then went to rewrite it and wrote the best LOR I have ever gotten. Sometimes it is worth it.

8. badasshairday

badasshairday Vascular and Interventional Radiology
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    How do you guys know? Non-confidential LOR's or what? I have done the same for nearly all my LOR's, they just need somthing so the letter writing process is easier for them.

9. greg1184

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah I signed the waver of my right to see the letters. However, if the professor chooses, he can give you a copy of the letter he made, and indeed he did. It's completely up to the professor.