Writing your own LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vnacyd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I asked my research advisor to write me a LOR, he told me to write it myself and that he would sign it. Any advice?
Vanessa

Members don't see this ad.

accepted.com gives good advice for letter writers. Remember that there is no need to be modest, you are writing with someone else's voice. Make yourself sound like the best student you have ever met. If your letter thinks that it sounds like too much and won't attach his or her name to it, you can always go back and change it. And of course, try to make it very consistent with your personal statement and cv (eg if you talk about how dedicated you are in your personal statement, relate how dedicated you are in your letter too). I wish that I could find someone who would let me write my own letter.

http://www.accepted.com/medical/LettersRec.aspx

There was a rather lengthy thread on this very subject not too many weeks back - a search of the forums would be advisable (I think it was in either Clinical Rotations or Allopathic).

This would be the situtation in which you'd wished you had paid more attention in English Composition class back in undergrad.

-Todd MSIV USC:D

One of my attendings told me he would do this for me when I apply for next year...Has anybody ever actually written their own LORs?

I did...

I did a trauma surgery month my 4th year, my attending told me to go ahead and write the letter, he'd sign it... which I did...

On the interview trail, more than one residency interviewer said to me "We wish all our applicants had letters like yours, every student wishes they had this in their file!"

haha

Q, DO

I wrote my own letter and it made it glow like you wouldn't believe. I still can't believe my attending signed it! :) Of course, everything in the letter was true! ;)