Writing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Summer Sweet

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How did you guys prepare for the writing portion? A lot of people here have said they just ignore it, but how do you guys come up with examples to use in the essays? That is, are you guys keeping up with current events, or drawing on historical examples, etc?

Members don't see this ad.

Probably a good idea to use historical examples...this can range from history to philosophy to even some science courses (ie Edison creating hundreds of transient lightbulbs before he created one that worked well).

It's much more important to know the format and what the essays look for than reading up on specific examples that can be used.
-Dr. P.

i think i only used one real example. the rest were just hypotheticals. i used some sort of philosophy thingy. i was in an upper division philosophy class at the time, so it was the first thing i thought of. i didn't prepare for the writing at all. i knew how it was structured and how i should answer, but i never read extra things or practiced.