Written Boards time is nearing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

21isFun

Saving people from stupidity since 2013
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Many of us will be taking the exam next week, so within allowable parameters, hit us with tips, things you wish you would have realized before test day, or any other helpful hints.

Hope to get some responses especially from those that have taken it in the last couple years.

Thanks from all the newbs currently starting to see our anxiety levels rise.

Members don't see this ad.

just do the board prep. lots of questions. the exam although quite different in content from inservice may make one feel like a failure after finishing. you will do fine however. ive heard many people mark up to half of the questions.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

My brief thoughts regarding written boards:

I used the 1200 questions book and the AAEM book "... A focused review of the Core Curriculum" primarily, reviewed an Atlas of EM, read a 30 page "high yield" booklet like 5 times, and did all the PEER VIII questions again.

I probably over studied.

The 1200 questions book by far was the highest yield for the actual exam, even though while I was doing the questions I kinda felt like they weren't very in depth...

The written exam felt easier than any of the Steps in that the majority of questions were primary or secondary, ie: "What does this EKG show?" rather than giving some long vague stem and requiring you to make 2 deductions to arrive at the correct multiple choice answer, as USMLE likes to do.

In short, study for the exam but overall it's nothing to be worried about..

BTW anyone who took orals this fall, while I was posting this I checked ABEM and results are back!

Members don't see this ad :)
The last thing I looked over the day before was a refresher on all those eponymous fractures. It came in handy.

So, this has been talked about in other threads (including my own), but for those who are within their first few years out of residency, how did the ABEM inservice/in-training exams compare to the real deal? Easier, harder, more or less obscure? Were they as predictive as they are billed to be?

Last edited by a moderator:
So, this has been talked about in other threads (including my own), but for those who are within their first few years out of residency, how did the ABEM inservice/in-training exams compare to the real deal? Easier, harder, more or less obscure? Were they as predictive as they are billed to be?

Real thing was easier, though I studied way more for it. It was pretty straightforward; didn't seem like they tried to make it confusing or convoluted.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile