wRVU achievable target for oncology private practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sid4med

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi gutonc or anyone.
From a prior post, had a query. Couldnt reply in that post.

You can get a rough estimate using online wRVU tables and knowing what fraction of the patients will be new vs follow ups. I also suspect that "he" is not getting paid for every single RVU he generates, rather a bonus after a certain baseline (used to pay that $300).
I have a similar setup in my clinic and pay structure. I usually see 2-3 new consults a day (almost universally 99205) and 12-15 follow ups which are usually about 40% 99213 and the rest split between 99214 and 99215.

How many total RVUs, do these numbers generate in a day. Or someone in pvt practice, generate on a weekly/monthly basis.
I am looking/negotiating for jobs as a fresh grad. And to meet(justify) my current salary at the end of 2 years guarantee I would have to generate 100-110 wRVUs weekly. Is this a doable target with quality patient care?
I feel, the patient numbers you provided above seem good for a 4 day work week. Just wanted to understand based on current standards how much wRVUs do these numbers equate to.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

It's pretty simple math. For nice round numbers (you can look this up yourself, I'm going off memory, but I'm not far off).

For the codes mentioned above, the wRVUs are:
99213 = 1
99214 = 1.5
99215 = 2
99205 = 3

So for 10 new patients a week (2-3/d, 3-4d/wk) = 30
15 f/u patients a day evenly split between level 3/4/5 = 22.5/d x3-4d/wk = 77.5-90/wk

Seems like you'd have a decent chance of hitting your target after the 2y guarantee. Some weeks will be busier than others, and this calculation assumes the only thing you're billing is E/M codes for clinic visits. You'll probably be billing more (procedures, counseling codes, extended time codes, inpatient stuff).

Reactions: 1 user