WSJ: "Your Anesthesia Really Shouldn’t Be a Worry"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Carbocation1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Your Anesthesia Really Shouldn’t Be a Worry

The physician anesthesiologist’s ultimate goal is to protect the life of the patient and make the patient as comfortable as possible.

Jan. 12, 2018 2:26 p.m. ET

Your Anesthesia Really Shouldn’t Be a Worry

Members don't see this ad.

Written by ASA President Grant and a CRNA. Comments are interesting.

"Although this is not something you do everyday (hopefully), this is something I do do everyday."

Members don't see this ad :)
Alas, it's behind a paywall. I don't blame them per se, as it's a response to a book review also published in WSJ.

It's ironic though that subscribing the the WSJ for a year costs more than Medicare/Medicaid pays for most anesthetics.

I'm sure we'd all agree that digital (/paper?) media has a higher value than having an anesthesiologist ensure you make it unscathed through surgery. Note the sarcasm.

Reactions: 1 user
Really nothing in that article.

Regarding Mike Jay’s review of Kate Cole-Adams’s “Anesthesia: The Gift of Oblivion and the Mystery of Consciousness” (Books, Dec. 30): Surgery and anesthesia are inherently risky, but anesthesia is safer today than ever before.

Ms. Cole-Adams’s focus on anesthesia awareness isn’t unique. This rare phenomenon is obviously frightening to many patients. However, the latest medical literature cites its occurrence as uncommon—only one or two in 10,000 procedures. And while her book, television shows and movies have focused on awareness, let me reassure every patient who undergoes anesthesia that physician anesthesiologists customize an anesthesia plan for each patient, taking into consideration health conditions, previous problems with anesthesia, medications being taken and other critical factors. The physician anesthesiologist’s ultimate goal is to protect the life of the patient and make the patient as comfortable as possible. There are some procedures, because of either urgency or unstable patient conditions, that warrant using lower doses of drugs which could place patients at a higher risk for awareness. Under such circumstances, the literature suggests a potential increase in the likelihood of awareness, albeit still rare.

The ASA encourages patients who may have concerns about awareness to talk to their physician anesthesiologist.

James D. Grant, M.D., M.B.A.

President

American Society of Anesthesiologists

Schaumburg, Ill.

The author’s friend was no doubt “paralyzed” and completely awake during her C-section because that’s the way we do it for more than 95% of our patients. A spinal or epidural is safest for the newborn and mother. It allows immediate mother-child bonding, and breast-feeding if desired, with the spouse present. It also is one of the most common surgical procedures performed in the U.S., over a million every year.

Mark A. Klapperich, CRNA

Greenville, S.C.