WSU vs. U of AZ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asch21

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I recently got pulled off the waitlist for my in-state school, the University of Arizona, but also received an offer for the WSU Logan campus. I am a little stuck on what to do because right now the pros and cons for both are weighing pretty evenly. I have seen on many other posts that it's best to go to your cheapest option, which for me would be Arizona, but I am hesitant about their 3-year program. I think I want to do equine medicine, and I have heard Arizona is the better place to go for that field.

As of right now, my big pros and cons for both are:

U of Arizona
Pros:
-2 hours from home
-Brand new facilities
-very hands-on, which I prefer
-in-state tuition
Cons:
-only 3 years w/ smaller breaks
-little opportunities for externships
-new school still figuring out what works & what doesn't

WSU
Pros:
-smaller class size at Logan
-well established
-went to WSU for undergrad, so I am familiar with the Pullman area & their program
-4 years w/ time for externships
Cons:
-out-of-state tuition all four years
-farther away from home
-less hands-on experience the first two years (compared to AZ)

Any advice would be very appreciated!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I understand your predicament it's not exactly equal to compare costs vs a shorter time in a new program.
What are your long term goals for EQ-specialize vs gp? That may help you sort out if you think you need more externship and networking opportunities that 4 years would afford you.
The logan campus has more equine opportunities i think your first 2 years than pullman does in some ways and then you have lots of eq opportunities here with the vth as well for year 3&4 with lots of equine electives. I cant comment on one school being more hands on than the other because I dont know much about UofAs approach.
That being said if you feel you can be successful in a 3 year program go for it. The debt will be so nice not to have but I understand the caution of burn out with a 3 year program. U of A nabbed one of our anatomy profs and an anesthesiologist from WSU that are working on the program. Yes it's a new program and many things are changing and we dont know their burn out rate or how navle will go for them.
Another question to think about is how you feel about the distributive model for 4th year vs the traditional vth experience?
How do you feel about moving to Logan and then to pullman half way through? How do you feel about having to stay alot of different places and not really have a home base during clinical year with the distributive model? Are you someone who needs material presented to you or do you think a model of learn on your own and then apply might work better for you?
Hope those were some helpful tidbits to think about regarding the different schools.

Reactions: 3 users