WSU (Washington State) C/O 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is giving me such a tummy ache :(

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
To whomever estimated the num er of OOS interviews around 300, where did you get that? I just got the letter you were talking about in the mail and I couldn't find any number of interviews being offered.

I emailed them and they told me between 180 and 200 will be interviewed.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
If I remember correctly you are from California right? I spoke to my colleagues and they haven't received anything. We still have a chance :) Positive thoughts
Definitely wondering exactly how they choose disperse invites, though!

If I remember correctly you are from California right? I spoke to my colleagues and they haven't received anything. We still have a chance :) Positive thoughts

Im from California and I got my email invite but my friend who's also a CA resident hasn't heard back and we have almost identical stats. Just hold tight! Im sure you'll both hear from WSU soon! :) I read on the Facebook APVMA page that someone called admissions and more invites should be on their way next week!

Reactions: 2 users
Crossing fingers more emails come out! Does anyone know why the break from Tier 1 to Tier 2 is taking a while?

That could make odds better then. Rebecca's words were "On average approximately 180 – 200 nonresident applicants are interviewed each year." So I read that as not including WICHE applicants. How many nonresident interviews are there then, meaning OOS?

That could make odds better then. Rebecca's words were "On average approximately 180 – 200 nonresident applicants are interviewed each year." So I read that as not including WICHE applicants. How many nonresident interviews are there then, meaning OOS?

The WICHE they interview are in the general OOS pool :)

They're the ones who have contingent offers for a sponsored spot if they get WICHE funding or the can interview as OOS and possibly be accepted through that pool.

Members don't see this ad :)
@Caiter92 Do you happen to know how many WICHE are interviewed :)

It doesn't matter though - they are OOS when they interview, not WICHE. They're competing for the same OOS spots.

WICHE acceptances, for WICHE specific spots, do not interview. They have already been notified of their acceptance (those went out in November) and if their state funds them, then they're in. If they don't get funding then they switch to the OOS pool and interview the same as everyone else.

So, if they fill 19 OOS spots this year, some of those students could be people who were originally WICHE but had to switch to the OOS pool when they were not funded.

Reactions: 1 users

I have no idea how many WICHE are interviewed, but these are the stats from WSU's site:

p4XCFPt.png

So last year, 5 non-sponsored people from WICHE states ended up there.

If I'm interpreting all this correctly (and I'm not sure I am!), we have about 180-200 applicants interviewing for ~53 spots (based on how many were accepted last year OOS and non-sponsored WICHE) or about a 1 in 4 chance.

Pretty low compared to other schools :( I wonder why WSU interviews so many.

Yeah that's what I thought. I haven't accepted my offer yet. Kinda hoping to hear back from Iowa State in early January, and I have a Mizzou one January 15th. Then hopefully I'll get an invite from Purdue Friday. It's my IS.

It doesn't matter though - they are OOS when they interview, not WICHE. They're competing for the same OOS spots.

WICHE acceptances, for WICHE specific spots, do not interview. They have already been notified of their acceptance (those went out in November) and if their state funds them, then they're in. If they don't get funding then they switch to the OOS pool and interview the same as everyone else.

So, if they fill 19 OOS spots this year, some of those students could be people who were originally WICHE but had to switch to the OOS pool when they were not funded.

True, but WSU counts them differently. (See my post above- I couldn't edit in a quote, sorry!)

Since there were only 5 non-sponsored WICHE people who accepted their offers, it probably doesn't make a difference stats-wise either way. It doesn't look like there's a way to see how many of the accepted WICHE people had funding, so it's impossible to tell for sure.

Somewhat off-topic, but do you know what percentage of WICHE applicants get funding? It seems like a pretty sweet deal, especially considering how much higher the WICHE acceptance rates are than the OOS ones.

True, but WSU counts them differently. (See my post above- I couldn't edit in a quote, sorry!)

Since there were only 5 non-sponsored WICHE people who accepted their offers, it probably doesn't make a difference stats-wise either way. It doesn't look like there's a way to see how many of the accepted WICHE people had funding, so it's impossible to tell for sure.

Somewhat off-topic, but do you know what percentage of WICHE applicants get funding? It seems like a pretty sweet deal, especially considering how much higher the WICHE acceptance rates are than the OOS ones.
It varies year by year and by state budgets. I think there are some states that don't find out until January if they get funding or not.

Utah has the sweetest deal. Montana, too. they accept ~50% of their interviews. :p

I think there are some important things to consider along with how many OOS are interviewed and subsequently accepted.

Especially this year, I'm noticing a lot of WSU applicants have multiple interviews elsewhere. You have to figure that it's likely they will be accepted somewhere else, then possibly declining a WSU seat and opening up a spot for someone else.

That said, it's my understanding that a lot of people get in off the WSU wait list. So, yes, there are very few OOS spots, but given the other factors I think that chances of getting a spot once you are interviewed is higher than you'd think.

I think there are some important things to consider along with how many OOS are interviewed and subsequently accepted.

Especially this year, I'm noticing a lot of WSU applicants have multiple interviews elsewhere. You have to figure that it's likely they will be accepted somewhere else, then possibly declining a WSU seat and opening up a spot for someone else.

That said, it's my understanding that a lot of people get in off the WSU wait list. So, yes, there are very few OOS spots, but given the other factors I think that chances of getting a spot once you are interviewed is higher than you'd think.

I'm looking at offers of acceptance, not admitted students, so that's already accounted for. Last year, WSU offered admission to 48 OOS and 14 of them enrolled. If those numbers are the same this year and we say that 190 OOS interview, we're looking at a 25% acceptance rate post-interview. If we only look at seats (i.e., we ignore the waitlist and that multiple people are probably accepted for one seat), we'd have a 7% post-interview rate.

So to get accepted, I need to make at least 3 other interviewees look bad.
Got it

It varies year by year and by state budgets. I think there are some states that don't find out until January if they get funding or not.

Utah has the sweetest deal. Montana, too. they accept ~50% of their interviews. :p

It's even better than that! They accepted 50% of Utah and Montana students total- that's including all applicants from those states, not just the ones that interviewed.

It's even better than that! They accepted 50% of Utah and Montana students total- that's including all applicants from those states, not just the ones that interviewed.
Oops, that's what I meant. I use words talk real good. :hilarious:

I hope we start hearing today!

Reactions: 3 users
Yet another day of no email and no rejection letter. :/

Reactions: 5 users
Maybe today since it's Friay?? Hmmm

Got a rejection letter but via email because I requested that due to special circumstances.

I guess we are waiting till next week for the next set of invites. Poop.

Nothing for me today either.....Oh, Washington, you tease. o_O

BIG TEASE!!! Oh well. Next week.

My rejection letter just arrived. I'm OOS in Texas in case you guys were wondering!

Since I got accepted to Iowa State, I will more than likely be declining my interview offer. Good luck to you all!

Got my letter in the mail today in SC. Best of luck to everyone interviewing next month! :)

I got an interview invitation OOS, tier 1. The informational packet I received in the mail seems semi-overwhelming...

I'm an OOS WSU applicant living in California and I haven't heard back from WSU yet.
I believe I'm considered tier 1 if WSU only considers one category from each section for rankings (my cumulative gpa from 4 different schools was around ~3.55ish when I calculated it for VMCAS). Keeping all of my digits crossed!

I'm an OOS WSU applicant living in California and I haven't heard back from WSU yet.
I believe I'm considered tier 1 if WSU only considers one category from each section for rankings (my cumulative gpa from 4 different schools was around ~3.55ish when I calculated it for VMCAS). Keeping all of my digits crossed!

I'm in the same boat, except I'm from CO. Thought I was tier 1 but haven't heard anything. Good luck, I hope you get good news this week! :)

I think I'm tier 2... and got my OOS interview invite today!

Reactions: 8 users
Finally got my deny letter (also in TX). It is dated the 12th!

Sorry @Devastating and everyone else who has gotten their letters :( Hoping other schools work out better for you guys. This is making me sad.

Picking up the mail today. Hopefully there isn't a rejection letter inside :(

Just got my rejection letter. Good luck to everyone else!!

Last edited:
Tier 1 and received my rejection as well. Such is life. Congratulations and good luck to everyone interviewing!!