WSU (Washington State) C/O 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So no tier 2 emails went out?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Were all of the rejections sent via snail mail?

Yes.

Things might be delayed with the weather. It's been really snowy in Pullman the last two weeks and I know I've had problems with things being delivered, so I imagine that applies to out going mail as well.

Rejection letter in the mail today as well. OOS (CA). Good luck to everyone who received interviews!

Reactions: 1 users
Rejection letter in the mail. They said they had over 1500 applicants.

I'm in tier 2, I think. But still no rejection letter nor interview invite email for me yet :unsure:

Reactions: 1 user
Tier 2 in Michigan and no email or letter yet. Fingers still crossed.

Tier 2 California, nothing yet, but when I called last week, they said "a decision has not been made about your application yet, but letters will be sent through mail next week or by the end of December."

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So I'm not sure if any of you guys have seen my travel horror stories the past few weeks but let's just say I've had a terrible time of things. My interview is scheduled for Feb 2nd, and I'm still debating going. I really really really want to go, but all the traveling is making me a little insane. I'm wondering if I should wait to hear from my top choice (right now) and if I get in decline the interview, or if I should go regardless and see which one I like more. My factors for considering schools are cost (OOS everywhere) and WSU is cheapest, but Davis is my other choice and it's only 20k more and they say the average student gets about 28k in grants and scholarships. I'm not really average because I work and my husband will be paying living expenses so my expected family contribution is like 55k which I can no way afford. The one thing that trumps finances is work for my husband. He's an electrical engineer, and wherever he finds a job is where we'll go. He likes the prospects in CA but WA is so much more cheaper to live. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm not sure if any of you guys have seen my travel horror stories the past few weeks but let's just say I've had a terrible time of things. My interview is scheduled for Feb 2nd, and I'm still debating going. I really really really want to go, but all the traveling is making me a little insane. I'm wondering if I should wait to hear from my top choice (right now) and if I get in decline the interview, or if I should go regardless and see which one I like more. My factors for considering schools are cost (OOS everywhere) and WSU is cheapest, but Davis is my other choice and it's only 20k
Right now the weather is kind of sketchy, but I'd be surprised if you had problems flying into Pullman in February. (Knock on wood . . . ) If you get redirected to Lewiston I can always come get you! :D

Right now the weather is kind of sketchy, but I'd be surprised if you had problems flying into Pullman in February. (Knock on wood . . . ) If you get redirected to Lewiston I can always come get you! :D

Haha you are awesome but we'll likely fly into Spokane because the only flights to Pullman land after midnight in a propeller plane and I don't want that to get cancelled due to weather...

To everyone who has received interviews or rejections, did your WSU student portal update to reflect their decision? Apparently my application is still under review.

To everyone who has received interviews or rejections, did your WSU student portal update to reflect their decision? Apparently my application is still under review.
Mine says it's still under review but under the messages section I have it updated with my invite.

The portal only updates with emails. My status never changed at all last year.

I was rejected but my portal still shows as under review.

So I'm not sure if any of you guys have seen my travel horror stories the past few weeks but let's just say I've had a terrible time of things. My interview is scheduled for Feb 2nd, and I'm still debating going. I really really really want to go, but all the traveling is making me a little insane. I'm wondering if I should wait to hear from my top choice (right now) and if I get in decline the interview, or if I should go regardless and see which one I like more. My factors for considering schools are cost (OOS everywhere) and WSU is cheapest, but Davis is my other choice and it's only 20k more and they say the average student gets about 28k in grants and scholarships. I'm not really average because I work and my husband will be paying living expenses so my expected family contribution is like 55k which I can no way afford. The one thing that trumps finances is work for my husband. He's an electrical engineer, and wherever he finds a job is where we'll go. He likes the prospects in CA but WA is so much more cheaper to live. Any advice?

Doesn't Davis allow you to switch to IS tuition? WSU for sure does, but I've read Davis allows it too.

How do you all know which tier you are?

It's on their admissions page or if you search this thread, you'll see it explained several times. (If you click "search" and then check the box for "this thread only" it'll come up. I posted a screenshot so you can also enter TrashPanda in the "Posted by Member:" box to be sure you find it.)

screen-shot-2016-10-26-at-4-54-18-pm-png.210238

I received a rejection letter so I'm really crossing my fingers for Davis. @Coopah I wish we were informed sooner then the end of the January.

Tier 2 (MI) got the rejection letter in the mail today. Good luck to everyone offered interviews!

Sorry to hear that you two :(. Good luck with any other school(s)

Still haven't gotten anything in the mail, or an e-mail. OOS (PA)

Sorry to hear that you two :(. Good luck with any other school(s)

Still haven't gotten anything in the mail, or an e-mail. OOS (PA)

Same here, nothing yet (OOS FL). I'm seeing that as good news, trying to stay positive ;)

Tier 1 California resident and I just received my rejection letter (dated 12/12/16). It was the 'nicest' rejection letter I have received thus far!

Has anyone heard anything about if theres going to be another wave of interview invites? Im Tier 2 and still haven't heard anything (and nothing in the mail) but the website says we should all here by the end of December at the latest.... hahaha

Freaking out a little!

Has anyone heard anything about if theres going to be another wave of interview invites? Im Tier 2 and still haven't heard anything (and nothing in the mail) but the website says we should all here by the end of December at the latest.... hahaha

Freaking out a little!

Same here! Tier 2 OOS and nothing in my email and no rejection letter in the mail...

Hey, anyone have any suggestions about flying into Spokane versus Pullman? Just wondering with snow considerations, I usually don't fly in the winter. Thanks in advance!

Hey, anyone have any suggestions about flying into Spokane versus Pullman? Just wondering with snow considerations, I usually don't fly in the winter. Thanks in advance!
I'd probably fly into Spokane or Lewiston. Should be cheaper, and then you don't have to worry about possibly being rerouted.

The highway between Pullman and Spokane should be pretty well maintained even with the snow. You'll just have to be careful between Colfax and Pullman. The road was fine but there are a bunch of snow covered hills so snow was getting blown onto the road and I could barely see when I went home for break.

For IS people or anyone driving over from the westside for interviews, please be careful and go slow if the weather is still crap! We had a c/o 2017 student pass away last week because of a snow related accident :(

I'd probably fly into Spokane or Lewiston. Should be cheaper, and then you don't have to worry about possibly being rerouted.

The highway between Pullman and Spokane should be pretty well maintained even with the snow. You'll just have to be careful between Colfax and Pullman. The road was fine but there are a bunch of snow covered hills so snow was getting blown onto the road and I could barely see when I went home for break.

For IS people or anyone driving over from the westside for interviews, please be careful and go slow if the weather is still crap! We had a c/o 2017 student pass away last week because of a snow related accident :(
Oh no :(. Can you clarify what you mean by the westside? If we are coming into the Spokane airport (and leaving from it), will we see the westside? Or is that anywhere between Colfax and Pullman?

Oh no :(. Can you clarify what you mean by the westside? If we are coming into the Spokane airport (and leaving from it), will we see the westside? Or is that anywhere between Colfax and Pullman?
West coast of Washington. Seattle is on the westside, for example.

Okay. So if we are coming into Spokane we won't be near that area it looks like.
You'll still be going through Colfax if you're driving down from Spokane (at least, that's the way I know how to get to Pullman from there).

The roads are plowed, it was just the snow blowing across the free way that caused issues.

They think she was going to fast for the conditions and lost control, and that's what caused the accident (hit a semi). I'm definitely not trying to scare anyone (apologies if I have!), it's just important to remember to keep in mind the conditions when you're driving in the snow.

That stretch is pretty straight, so go slow and you shouldn't have any problems.

You'll still be going through Colfax if you're driving down from Spokane (at least, that's the way I know how to get to Pullman from there).

The roads are plowed, it was just the snow blowing across the free way that caused issues.

They think she was going to fast for the conditions and lost control, and that's what caused the accident (hit a semi). I'm definitely not trying to scare anyone (apologies if I have!), it's just important to remember to keep in mind the conditions when you're driving in the snow.

That stretch is pretty straight, so go slow and you shouldn't have any problems.
I really appreciate your post. I have never driven in snow and am nervous and all of the tips help. I just need to drive slow, I think. Thank you! I'm so sorry about what happened :(.

I really appreciate your post. I have never driven in snow and am nervous and all of the tips help. I just need to drive slow, I think. Thank you! I'm so sorry about what happened :(.
Seriously, the most important thing when driving in the snow is just to remember to go slow, give plenty of following distance, and slow down gradually when needed. I'm sure you'll be fine! OOS interviews are still a few weeks out so hopefully it'll clear up a bit more by then.

Thank you. I didn't know her but I have a couple friends who did and I feel so awful for them and all of 2017.

Snow driving tips for anyone who might be worried:
Drive slow, not the speed limit, just however fast you feel comfortable.
If you start to skid turn into it. This means if you start drifting to the right turn to the right, no jerking motions though!
Stay calm!
If the roads are covered in snow, and you cannot see the lines, follow the tire tracts in the road, the most cleared spot, or the car in front of you, don't worry about going over the lines so much outside the obvious. But if you are going to hit a patch of ice or whatever in your lane you can drift if there's no one else around.
Never pass anybody in bad conditions.

I hope this helps!

Reactions: 4 users
If you can, try to schedule yourself so you're driving during the day (before 4:30 pm). If roads are bad I hate driving after dark, especially if I've never been on that road before. Ice is more likely then, too.

If you fly into Lewiston it'll only be a 40 min drive (depending on conditions). Spokane is a little further.

I'm trying to prep for my IS interview in two weeks and was wondering if there is any sort of suggested "dress-code" for the non-interview events (i.e. student/faculty mixer, student panel, class sit-in, tour, etc)? Are nice jeans and top too casual?